Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP HELP! Bobby pins/Kirby grips

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
For years I have used the world's greatest bobby pins (that's kirby grips to us Brits) which came from a Japanese chain called Muji. They were these fantastic Japanese grips made of steel (they rust - no painted coating - just steel like the old-fashioned ones) - designed for super-straight hair, without those annoying little plastic ends, really really powerful and grippy and, crucially with NO WAVES in them - just straight.

Well, I just went back to stock up and they've stopped doing them - just sell normal ones like everyone else. It's a disaster!
So... does anyone know where I can get some really good bobby pins? Please. I am in mourning!

Any advice welcome!
Tottie

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I used to find curved (not wavy, but gently curved to fit close to your head) metal pins at Target--I love these style as they really hold any hair texture (and they don't have the plastic coating at the ends, either.) I'll check to see if they still make them as they are my all time favorite--not exactly what you are looking for, but really good pins!

Martini Slayer

New in Town
ooh! That's so not fair Tottie.. And unfortunatly, my post is not going to be of any help to you.. Sorry.. :(

But I do have a major complaint about discontinued vintage products... My Max Factor Pan Cake and Pan Stick is no longer available!! Cover Girl took over Max Factor and now ALL the make-up is pooty!

When I found out about the tragedy.. I immediatly ran out and bought up everything that was left on the shelf in my shade in 5 drugstores in my area.. Yes I did! And I got out the vacuume sealer, and vacuume packed all my panstick and now, 25 sticks are in my freezer...

I calculated that it should be enough to last me for at least 12 years... What I am going to do after that? I hate to think about it... Maybe they will realize thier mistake and bring it back by then! **dilusional I know... But it's all the hope I've got to hold onto... Teehehehee

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
But I do have a major complaint about discontinued vintage products... My Max Factor Pan Cake and Pan Stick is no longer available!! Cover Girl took over Max Factor and now ALL the make-up is pooty!

Do you mean it's not available, or the formula is no good now? Because I've seen both products around town and even bought a cake of Pan-cake foundation just the other day.

Martini Slayer

New in Town
jitterbugdoll said:
Do you mean it's not available, or the formula is no good now? Because I've seen both products around town and even bought a cake of Pan-cake foundation just the other day.

Wow! You are lucky if you can still find it out by you... B/C here by me. on Long Island to NYC.. I can't find any Max Factor Dry Pan Cake or Pan Stick anymore.. Max Factor always added that reflective base in his make-up that made women look great on film... I LOVE the way pics of me come out when I am wearing Max Factor Pan Cake or Pan Stick... So yes, if it's not Max Factor, I would not be too optimistic about it being the same formula.

I do see the "cream base pancake".. the kind that you don't need water to use, and they charge $10 for 1oz of the stuff..

I loved the Pan Stick cuz I didn't have to wet a sponge, and it was not a watery creamy base.. That's the product I stocked up on..

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I know Max Factor was pulled from many major stores, like Walgreen’s, but I found the full line at Wal-Mart. I have heard that they changed the formula, though--I really think they made a mistake with their current marketing formula. I think they should have done a "Return to Old Hollywood Glamour" spiel; instead, I think they are running themselves into the ground with their funky modern image and Carmen Electra as the spokesmodel.

Can I just ask - what do you girls find is the problem with the waved ones? Do they indent onto you hair?

The crimped ones actually work for me, but the curved/flat pins really do seem to grip better.

Martini Slayer

New in Town
jitterbugdoll said:
I know Max Factor was pulled from many major stores, like Walgreen’s, but I found the full line at Wal-Mart. I have heard that they changed the formula, though--I really think they made a mistake with their current marketing formula. I think they should have done a "Return to Old Hollywood Glamour" spiel; instead, I think they are running themselves into the ground with their funky modern image and Carmen Electra as the spokesmodel.

The crimped ones actually work for me, but the curved/flat pins really do seem to grip better.

THAT would have been marketing GENIUS! The consumer base from this website alone would make them a fortune if marketed with a vintage twist! Wal-Mart you say? Well, I am certainly gonna go and check it out.... But if they did change the formula like you say.. Then it may not be worth it for me to buy.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
THAT would have been marketing GENIUS! The consumer base from this website alone would make them a fortune if marketed with a vintage twist! Wal-Mart you say? Well, I am certainly gonna go and check it out.... But if they did change the formula like you say.. Then it may not be worth it for me to buy.

Their other problem is that Cover Girl makes the some of the same products (mascara, longwear lipstick), but for a lower price. Way to make your product line stand out guys :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm very satsified with the Pancake foundation. I had tried it years ago but for some reason couldn't get it to work quite right, but this time it works really, really well [huh]

Well, back to the topic of bobby pins :)

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
yes, it seems to be something about the strength of them - they are really just stronger. If they made them like that and crimped I wouldn't mind...

Actually I once had my hair done as an extra for an advert and the woman had these amazing grips which loooked like normal ones but slightly thicker and with a sort of rough textured coating on them. Black. They were *excellent* but I never found out what the brand was - some professional brand.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Ooh yes I HATE it when things that are wonderful get discontinued... and if I was organized, I would stockpile things too. It's not crazy at all! Plus, doing that, you increase the chance that vintage packaging collectors will have stuff to find in your attic in 100 years time!

Sis, hey, why am I talking to you about this via America? But yes - they do still sell some, but not the right sort - it would be brilliant if you could look - but they might have discontinued them a year ago for all I know. I bought loads last time I was there...

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
oh, and, er, sorry to post 3-in-a-row, but Jitterbugdoll, if you do find them in Target, let me know. My brother lives in Texas, and seems to spend a lot of time in Target, so I'm sure I can get him to send me some.... ooh, excited now!

birdiepie

New in Town
I think I know the curved bobby pin that you speak of Jitterbugdoll. I use them as well and they actually stay in my stick straight asiatic hair. They're made my a brand called 'Scunci' and are called "comfort curved" or something to that effect.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
*BUMP*

I've got big Lady Jayne bobby pins, but for some reason they have decided to stop holding my hair. They've dropped out 3 times today already!

Does anyone have a sure-fire bobbypin brand? I have thick, long, fairly wavy hair.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Yes! Sally Beauty brand bobby pins - the ones that come in either the black metal tins or the large plastic hexagonal containers, not the ones on the paper cards. They come in a decent variety of colors (gold, silver, blond, black, brown) and a variety of sizes (I love the small ones for holding curls in a style - just big enough to hold the curl, but not so long that they stick out and show).

The best part is that these pins come in these great little metal containers with a slide top. I usually have one full of bobbies and hair pins that I keep in my purse!

EDIT: Erm.. I just noticed you're in the UK. Do they have Sally there?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Yes! Sally Beauty brand bobby pins - the ones that come in either the black metal tins or the large plastic hexagonal containers, not the ones on the paper cards. They come in a decent variety of colors (gold, silver, blond, black, brown) and a variety of sizes (I love the small ones for holding curls in a style - just big enough to hold the curl, but not so long that they stick out and show).

The best part is that these pins come in these great little metal containers with a slide top. I usually have one full of bobbies and hair pins that I keep in my purse!

EDIT: Erm.. I just noticed you're in the UK. Do they have Sally there?

http://www.sallyexpress.com/viewProduct.aspx?pid=792020 these ones? If so, they are available over here. Brilliant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner