Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identifying a wool coat

quantum

New in Town
Hello,
I've tried to some some searching (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?) and haven't been able to. I thought someone here might be able to help. From what I've seen/read my guess would that its some kind of Air Force jacket, but I'm unsure of the decade or if it even is AF. Unfortunately the tag has been removed. Here's some pictures, it's all wool and a nice dark blue.

Thanks in advance for you help!

pipvh

Practically Family
It looks more like a Filson-style wool cruiser. Is that an action back, or a rear pocket? My guess is workwear or hunting, not military.

Very cool coat, in any case.

quantum

New in Town
Thanks for your replies and welcome.

I hadn't thought about Filson. I've had some experience with them (though not their vintage stuff), the jacket just seems different in all the little details. There was a fabric tag on the neck, but it was white (some bits remaining around the stitching) and square in shape. Everything I've seen from Filson has the rectangular shape to it. Most of the interior seams are covered with a black nylon? fabric which is tucked in.

One thing that made me think it was military was the back of the buttons. While they don't have any marker stamps, they're raised up in the middle almost exactly the same as my WWII Navy Peacoat. The lining on the underside of the pockets seems the same as the lining of the peacoat as well.

The back is interesting. It's double layered, but there isn't a pocket (like on the cruisers). It's sewn all the way down the sides, but is open at the bottom. I was wondering if that had any function.

Do you have any links where I might be able to browse through some old workwear/hunting coats?

Thanks again for you help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner