Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me accessorize this Outfit!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Gorgeous dress! Agree with the picture hat. Nice wide brim, and I would keep the hat simple in line with the gloves. The gloves you're wearing are gorgeous but are evening/opera length. You want wrist length gloves with this, or something that sits to about mid arm length. Try gloves that are a little loose through the cuff, not tight fitting. The dress is the statement, keep everything else quite plain. I would keep all accessories to a shade lighter than the dress, but not white except for the gloves. I would make the gloves white to avoid a total accessory match, which won't work. Alternatively take the accessories to a shade of brown, not dark, but enough to contrast. In general, if you are looking for hat, bag, shoes, and gloves, use a 2 on 2 colourway, ie hat and bag match, gloves and shoes, or bag and shoes, gloves and hat. The shoes are great if you go 50s. I like the other suggestions of 20s style shoes too. Wide brim hat will work 20s or 50s. Bag - small clutch, fine leather. Jewellery - earrings, bracelet, keep it simple. No necklace unless you want to do 20s beads. No glitter. For a cover up, I'd go with a fine lace shawl, or a 20s/30s style long loose cashmere cardie or lightweight jacket (below bottom length), or go the whole hog and make it a dress length lightweight duster.

P

Paul

I was thinking of a hat in cream like this but I had a feeling it's too modern
image6.jpg

also a little over the top for the dress I thinking

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Paul said:
image6.jpg

oooo, I think the white one would be lovely! I think a crinoline underneath and the hat would give a retro impression without being too too, if you know what I mean. Ya know, could pass at a modern function as well as at a themed retro function.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Alternatively take the accessories to a shade of brown, not dark, but enough to contrast.

Ooo, I like this idea very much! A nice mocha shade would be very elegant, and then you could wear a mink stole.
Nikki

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paul said:
image6.jpg

Mmmmmm....I think this would detract from the dress.

I'm thinking almost plain 1950's pillbox hat which matches dress, with minimal netting and embellishments, plain pearls. By keeping everything else simple, you focus on the dress and how nice it looks on you.

Bummer, I had the exact right hat, but already gave it away to someone in the Classifieds or a Contest.

Vintage Betty

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I agree. It's a lovely hat, but if you wore it, it would be about the hat and not the wonderful dress.

I was thinking about a cloche style hat maybe with flowers on the side?

P

Paul

Butterfield 8 said:
Paul, I love your website!

Thank you, it all started as just somewhere to store phots and info so when my pc crashed I would not loose them, it's kept on growing.:eusa_doh:

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
That's a lovely dress and you look great!, I'd probably go with red I know it's a bit strong but I think if you got the right shade it'd really bring the whole outfit to life. Maybe a soft rose red.

My second choice would be ivy green, I always think that this can really set off ivory really well.

I'd definitely go with a simple hat, gloves, t-bar shoes, and a bag.

BTW I am so in love with that silk quilted navy blue 1930's purse on your website, where ever did you find it?

P

Paul

Most of my collection is purchase from one lady where I live , I tend to buy what catches my eye at random really.

She is on eBay but it's a live auction so I cannot post a link here.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
epr25 said:
I was wondering while you are wearing all these fabulous vintage outfits. Does your husband follow suit?

He's going to dress nice, wear a suit maybe, and we're going this weeked to hopefully buy his first fedora! He does enjoy it. I bought him a vintage smoking robe last year for xmas, and we're taking that along. Not for public wear of course, but it'll be nice to lounge around the hotel room. I plan to buy him some new pajamas for V day.
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Should I wear gloves with this knit outfit? If so, black or white?
We got my husband's fedora, I love it, a charcoal to go with his new black and grey suits. I ordered him another fedora for a gift in an almond shade.
I also found him some vintage pj's, and I had bought him a smoking robe last year.
Nikki
2236173282_d283c4b566.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Should I wear gloves with this knit outfit? If so, black or white?
We got my husband's fedora, I love it, a charcoal to go with his new black and grey suits. I ordered him another fedora for a gift in an almond shade.
I also found him some vintage pj's, and I had bought him a smoking robe last year.
Nikki
2236173282_d283c4b566.jpg
I say white for day and black for evening. You look stunning, btw!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Nikki, I love this thread! And I have a body shape much similar to yours so I love to get inspired by you, everything you wear is so flattering.

Cashmere sweater outfit:
I think the paprika looks better than the white, the white blouse doesn't create enough contrast to the sweater. So definitely go for a bold, strong color blouse with this sweater. I think it's a bit tough with the neckline, if it should be a V mimicking the sweater. I love the little tie on the paprika blouse, but I'd like to see what it looks like when you have it on with the sweater.

Purple velvet dress:
Lovely! What shoes will you wear with this?

Red/white dress and coat... and those perfect shoes!:
This one is just perfect, the shoes are spot on. And gorgeous. They look new, where did you get them?

Golden dress and jacket:
Definitely a large brooch in a starking color, the jacket is perfect for it.

Red knit outfit with black shoes and bag:
This outfit is amazing. Gloves or no gloves. No gloves is great.
I don't like the idea of white gloves, actually. Maybe it is because I can't see the details of the bag very well. If I were to wear gloves, I think I would pick a color that complimens the motif on the bag, not red like the dress, but something yellowish or greenish, but very muted, and complementing the bag. I hope this makes sense.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gloves should match something

If you look at the four main accessories to an outfit, hat, bag, shoes, gloves, then they used to say it looks overdone for all to match, better two and two. So with a black bag and shoes, a different color hat and gloves...
I personally think that rule applies to all colors, not so much to neutrals like black, brown and navy.
But I wouldn't do white gloves, they will just look forlorn unless your hat has a lot of white. Plus they are a bear to keep clean, you need several pairs!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Once again Ohairas--your outfits are to die for.

I think my favorite is the sweater dress. But I do love a good sweater dress.

I think black gloves would be nice with that. Very sophisticated!

You have the sweetest figure!

Sigh--just looking at you is giving my faith to keep on track with my healthy eating.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
If you look at the four main accessories to an outfit, hat, bag, shoes, gloves, then they used to say it looks overdone for all to match, better two and two. So with a black bag and shoes, a different color hat and gloves...
I personally think that rule applies to all colors, not so much to neutrals like black, brown and navy.
But I wouldn't do white gloves, they will just look forlorn unless your hat has a lot of white. Plus they are a bear to keep clean, you need several pairs!

Thanks, that's a great rule of thumb, matching two and two. So for that red knit outfit, what color gloves and/or hat would you do?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks girls! Miss 1929, good 4/2 rule!
Laura, I'm going to have to dig thru my gloves and see if any other shade will do. I may just go gloveless! And I don't plan to wear a hat with it.

Dottie and Laura your figure compliments mean SOOOOO much. After losing the 80 pounds I'm finally starting to believe this myself, lol!

Can't find shoes or jewels for the gold dress, may ditch it for this trip. Ebay sellers and/or the postal service has been SO slow lately. To late to order anything now. I really wanted this set for it, but they went sky high. Why do I have such exspensive taste!?
2263909466_9a34ab322d_o.jpg

I have a red oriental dress I may wear too, haven't tried it on since xmas and it was tight then, but I've lost my holiday weight.
Nikki

Smuterella

One Too Many
fancy dress party ideas

Hi all!

I have been asked to a fancy dress party at the end of next month and the theme is to come dressed as a movie character.

I'd like to not have to stretch myself too far on this one so was thinking the classic Marilyn white dress (I'm peroxide blonde already).

So two questions -

1) any ideas where to get a good copy of that dress from

2) any other ideas?

thanks dolls!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80