Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose my B3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightman

New in Town
After pouring over almost every post here and on VLJ, I think I've decided to go with ELC's B3 based on authenticity, forum, feedback, reputation and value. Now I am struggling with which one to get.

Any real-world experience of the .50cal verions? How about Time Worn, or the Rough Wear, Broken grain or the Perry Mixed Batch.

I really like the vintage "worn-in" look that the .50cal is described to offer, but would hate to plug down over $1000 on a jacket that I didn't like 100%.

Also, about the sizing, I'm a size 50 suit, so do the jackets run large? or am I SOL?

FYI, I chose ELC, over RMNZ, Aero, Lost Worlds, Schott, and US. Any others I should have looked at?

Thanks folks!

stocksuspension

New in Town
you might want to email them. i was about to pull the trigger on a perry b3. i questioned the sizing so i emailed them. im 6'2 220 carry an athletic build i wear a 48/50 suit and was told that i might be out of the range of there fittment. If you want you can order a b3 then mail it to me so i can try it out. lol just kidding.

50 puts you mostly in SOL territory.
Schott, Avirex (The Cockpit), Aero will do it.
Most others not. I know, I emailed them all.
But those above are good choices of varying authenticity, cost, etc.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I say don't buy a brand new jacket that already looks worn in. Let years of wear and tear (and maybe a few hard rain showers!) do that for ya...

too much coffee

Practically Family
I say don't buy a brand new jacket that already looks worn in. Let years of wear and tear (and maybe a few hard rain showers!) do that for ya...

I agree with bretron.
You'll find that the sheepskin exterior will gain character somewhat quickly. Personally , I would have gone with Aero or Lost Worlds based on appearance and build quality. But your ELC is an excellent choice.

Regards,
coffee

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum. You will need to slim down to fit into an ELC B-3 as ELC no longer do custom jackets and a 48 is the largest size they do in B-3s.

Nightman

New in Town
Thanks folks! Coffee, interesting you say Aero over ELC, since most of what I've read puts them opposite in personal choice. Lost World's in without questions a beautiful piece, but at $1350, holy moly, that is some serious coin and over $200-300 more than ELC's.

Dammit! Another reason to loose a few pounds! I guess unless I go Aero, I will need to skip the Christmas feast and make it a Ground Hog day gift to myself.

Stocksuspension = Nice Try!, LOL!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Lol! Don't be so hard on yourself- tis the season to eat like a cow and drink like a fish

too much coffee

Practically Family
Thanks folks! Coffee, interesting you say Aero over ELC, since most of what I've read puts them opposite in personal choice. Lost World's in without questions a beautiful piece, but at $1350, holy moly, that is some serious coin and over $200-300 more than ELC's.

Dammit! Another reason to loose a few pounds! I guess unless I go Aero, I will need to skip the Christmas feast and make it a Ground Hog day gift to myself.

Stocksuspension = Nice Try!, LOL!

Hi Nightman;

If I wanted an Irvin jacket, I would look primarily to Eastman(provided I couldn't find an original). But for the B-3 I like the Aero the best. Combination of quality hides, good shearling and build quality. As you know, this leather jacket game is so subjective to personal tastes..........like cars, beer, guns and women! All are meant to be savored and enjoyed.

Go Aero and lose the weight anyway; you'll be twice as happy. Good luck with the endeavor.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

aswatland

All the criteria cited for Aero B-3s applies to ELC B-3s, but ELC B-3s are more accurate repros than Aeros. Having owned many originals and currently owning 2 original B-3s it is quite clear to me that ELC's jackets are top notch. Those who really know about repro B-3s would cite Eastman B-3s as the superior jacket. The issue is Aero make a size 50 and ELC only go to a size 48.

too much coffee

Practically Family
So because my personal choice for the B-3 would be Aero, you're saying I don't really know about repro B-3s?

If I drive a Lexus and you drive a BMW, what gives me the right to say you don't really know about luxury automobiles.

I admit the Eastman B-3 is a top notch jacket and Nightman has chosen this manufacturer and I'm sure he will cherish his jacket just as I would cherish a B-3 from Aero if I had one.

In your valued opinion, the ELC is the superior jacket. And I'm sure you could provide a two hour dissertation as to why.

It's just a personal choice..........that is all.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
All the criteria cited for Aero B-3s applies to ELC B-3s, but ELC B-3s are more accurate repros than Aeros. Having owned many originals and currently owning 2 original B-3s it is quite clear to me that ELC's jackets are top notch. Those who really know about repro B-3s would cite Eastman B-3s as the superior jacket. The issue is Aero make a size 50 and ELC only go to a size 48.

Can you prove that pics by pics?

aswatland

Of course I can, but why not just go to the ELC website and compare their B-3s with pics of originals on this site and on VLJ.

aswatland

So because my personal choice for the B-3 would be Aero, you're saying I don't really know about repro B-3s?

If I drive a Lexus and you drive a BMW, what gives me the right to say you don't really know about luxury automobiles.

I admit the Eastman B-3 is a top notch jacket and Nightman has chosen this manufacturer and I'm sure he will cherish his jacket just as I would cherish a B-3 from Aero if I had one.

In your valued opinion, the ELC is the superior jacket. And I'm sure you could provide a two hour dissertation as to why.

It's just a personal choice..........that is all.

Regards,
coffee

What I am saying is people who regard Aero B-3s as the most authentic repros need to compare them with originals and with ELC B-3s. I would not dream of making assertions about luxury cars, but I do know enough about jackets to make an informed comment.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Of course I can, but why not just go to the ELC website and compare their B-3s with pics of originals on this site and on VLJ.

I'm talking about Aero B-3 Vs. Eastman B-3 pics...just curious, I heard so many times about Aero inaccuracy but the two military jackets I bought from them, a D-1 and a 1756 A-2, were very accurate IMO....but I'm not very familiar with B-3s.

Aero's B3 may not be as accurate, but it's beautiful and usable and excellent. My son has got more compliments in it than I've ever heard before. Even got a beer at a pub from a nice stranger.
Accuracy has its place I suppose, but I don't care about it for my needs.

So are you saying any old mall fleece B-3 type jacket with handwarmer pockets is ok for your needs?:)

I'd never buy something like that. Just not going to nitpick stich count or other minor details in an otherwise excellent coat.
My Aero A2 Bronco is lovely, but they never made it in capeskin as far as I know. Does that make it poser?
My new 50's HBD probably has things not accurate to a true 50's cost, but BFD lol
BTW, my son's Aero has no handwarmer pockets!

On my trip, I've seem jackets with details never seen before by me.
Today a B6 had a double zipper and some odd leather work as well. This was in a museum in Bayeux, Fr.
I've seen many many A2 designs and accuracy is a funny thing for wartime clothing. Lots of inconsistencies, which I expect.
Close enough I guess is my WWII repro expectation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner