Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose my next Aero coat for winter

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
I now have a Black FQHH Highwayman and a Brown FQHH on the way. Both are lined in cotton drill and are used for temps above 35 degrees. I already own a long black shearling coat for winter and am also thinking about getting a long brown shearling. Should I instead consider a longer Aero jacket like the LHB or Veste de Rallye in cordovan lined with wool or perhaps their B-3/B-6 sheepskin bomber jackets? How would those fare in sub-freezing weather? Please help me decide as I don't want to make a regrettable decision.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Living in Seattle, most of the winter is in the 40's. I have an Aero B-6, but it really is too warm to wear most of the time. I wore it a lot in Canada and was comfortable in -5 degree weather. A B-3 would be REALLY warm.

For my (hopefully) go to winter coat, I have a Cheyenne on order with Alpaca lining and storm cuffs. Probably a better fit out here, but might not be warm enough for you on the East coast.

Since you already have a shearling, than you know how warm those coats are. If you're happy with it, the B-3/6 are really nice coats. If you are ok with layering, the Veste/LHB will do fine in sub-freezing weather. But the layering is key, as we all know that leather is an excellent wind blocker, but a terrible insulator.

Javelina

New in Town
I considered getting a Cheyenne lined in shearling but didn't pull the trigger. Since you can't get shearling in the sleeves, I was concerned I'd have a warm body and cold arms. The whole point was to be able to just wear a long sleeve shirt underneath, i.e. no sweater or addtl. layer. If the sleeves aren't insulated you need more than a shirt underneath. But maybe you can get a double lining in the sleeves to address this. An alpaca & drill cloth sleeve lining might be warm enough. In theory it would be a great jacket for NYC - water resistant, durable, warm.

The Saint

New in Town
What do you think about the Veste de Rallye with robust twill lining and removable fur collar?
Comparing with the similar looking Cheyenne, the Veste de Rallye has enough space for a warm cardigan, or a tweed vest. Then you have a real 3 Saison Jacket.

Rabbithunter

New in Town
Hello,

I have a Veste with storm cuffs and tartan wool lining. I've worn it through last winter's freezing temperatures but only for short walks from car to the office. For longer walks in the snow I found it too cold. Especially the arms were cold, I think the satin lining provides not enough insulation.
A down jacket is my choice for really cold weather but if you want leather I wouldn't go for less than a complete shearling lining.

Ulrich

Edward

Bartender
Eventually, when funds allow I fancy a Barnstormer with a little extra length and a warm lining for the Winter. I find my B3 perfect for the worst of the Winter here in London (and I'm sure it'd be great in NYC too), but it's not one I can wear a suit jacket or blazer under, might be worth thinking about what you might want to wear it with....

The Saint

New in Town
HTML:
I have a Veste with storm cuffs and tartan wool lining. I've worn it through last winter's freezing temperatures but only for short walks from car to the office. For longer walks in the snow I found it too cold. Especially the arms were cold, I think the satin lining provides not enough insulation.

Ulrich, you are right. Down is also my first choice for extreme cold conditions.
My FQH Jackets are second choice. Especially the heavy Leather is extra stiff and the isolation is only result from the isolation below.
But in general my Cheyenne & Barnstormer are warm enough for most days of the winter here.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Cold Weather Aero

Hey Westinghouse

I noticed you're from NYC. I live in CT, and just passed my first year at Sarah Lawrence in Bronxville, NY. Maybe I can give you a local opinion?

Being the intelligent college student that I am, I decided to not bring anything other than my 1930's Aero Bootlegger back with me after winter break. Here's what I found:

1) FQHH gets really darn STIFF when exposed to the cold. Even if you've broken it in for a solid year, the leather stiffens up, making it difficult to wear.

2) The leather also gets cold. I mean REALLY cold. Even under a sweater and my Aero (lined with a royal stewart wool tartan), I still felt the chill.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Aero. It just was never designed to be a cold-weather garment. I am having my next 30's Halfbelt lined in a heavier tartan, so I will let you all know how that fares...

My advice? Unless you really want a shearling Aero (I have to say, that barnstormer with a wool shawl-collar looks awesome), I think plain wool works best. I had better luck with my grandfather's greatcoat from WWII. You can also find Peacoats in good condition, or there's also the famous Irvin. What Price Glory's Irvin IS relatively cheaper in comparison... Never had one myself, however....

Hope that helps!

RP

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Westinghouse,
In really cold weather I would also opt for a down jacket. If you especially are looking for an Aeroleather jacket, the Barnstormer will be a good choice I think.
You mentioned you have two Aero's on the way... Are they both the Higwayman jackets? For me that would be a risky thing to do... Sure hope both jackets are perfect for you.
Andy

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
andy richards said:
You mentioned you have two Aero's on the way... Are they both the Higwayman jackets? For me that would be a risky thing to do... Sure hope both jackets are perfect for you.
Andy
I already received the black FQHH Highwayman and it fit perfectly so I asked Aero to make me the same exact jacket in brown FQHH. :)

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I own three Aeros, one HWYMan with a cotton drill lining: I wore this for one complete winter at temps as low as -12 C / + 10.4 F.

With a shirt and a thick Merino sweater and sometimes a thin primaloft vest underneath, that was all I needed. The only thing is that it's a bit short and doesn't have a hood for those snow storms.

I had absolutely no problem with the FQHH becoming too stiff.

Then I got my mid weight HH Cheyenne with a double lining made of Alpaca wool and Tartan on top (see this earlier post: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45418)

I wore this through most of last winter, which was even colder and also most of this spring, which is until now one long extension of winter, except more rain than snow.

The jacket is just perfect for that, I hardly need more than a thin sweater underneath and may be a shawl to block the escape route of all that warmth.

I guess if you go for a shearling lining and may be also a mouton collar, this must be enough for anything down to -20.0 °C/ -4.0 °F.

Finally, I also use a down jacket, but not because it is that much warmer, but simply because it gives me more freedom of movement and is dramatically lighter in weight. Plus it has a hood with a fur ruff, which I think is indispensable in snow storms and heavy snow fall.

I like having both options :)

too much coffee

Practically Family
RP McMurphy makes a good point about leather stiffening up in the very cold. Short story..............when I was stationed in Germany with the Army I went to a large flea market many times in Sickendorf(sp?), near Fulda. Got to be friends with a steady vendor who always had a large inventory of used leather coats and jackets, usually police and military stuff. In the dead of winter he would not even display his cornucopia of leather because, he told me, his customers did not buy the leather garments because the coats and jackets were so stiff, cold and uninviting. Mind you this is an outside environment, 20 degrees F., and it was true; steerhide, horsehide and whatever else hide were like straitjackets. How much warmth and comfort could they provide.
When it's really cold, I go for my antiquated Avirex Irvin or one of my Carhart Arctics.
It's kinda like my leather car seats in the winter, until the seat heaters take effect I'm not very comfortable, but when the electrified heat comes in I wouldn't trade the leather for anything.
Carhartt for the winter!

Parkpiper

New in Town
What did you end up ordering?

Westinghouse - What jacket did you end up ordering? I live on the East Coast and am getting ready to order a LHB. I was thinking of going with the cotton drill lining or thin tartan wool so I can wear it in the fall/spring also and then just add a sweater or vest underneath for the colder days.

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
Parkpiper said:
Westinghouse - What jacket did you end up ordering? I live on the East Coast and am getting ready to order a LHB. I was thinking of going with the cotton drill lining or thin tartan wool so I can wear it in the fall/spring also and then just add a sweater or vest underneath for the colder days.
I bought both a black and brown Highwayman with cotton drill lining.

Parkpiper

New in Town
Sorry about that

I was just looking through some of the earlier posts and saw that you had already stated what jackets you ordered. Thanks for the update!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace