Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me date this 30s wristwatch

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I recently won this 1930s Hamilton watch. The watch should arrive soon. Here are the pictures from the auction.
hamilton30swatchzq5.jpg

hamilton30swatchfacefb0.jpg

hamilton30swatchworksxv5.jpg

I will post my own photos as soon as the watch arrives. Thanks for looking!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Looks very similar to my Grandfathers Elgin and I believe he got his in 1936 if I remember the birthday story correctly. Good looking watch. Wear it in good health.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

metalnut

New in Town
Helping others to identify stuff

Sefton said:
I recently won this 1930s Hamilton watch. The watch should arrive soon. Here are the pictures from the auction.
hamilton30swatchzq5.jpg

hamilton30swatchfacefb0.jpg

hamilton30swatchworksxv5.jpg

I will post my own photos as soon as the watch arrives. Thanks for looking!
If someone had started a website for watch collectors maybe a decent sized database would be available now. That is what I am trying with my metal tobacco pipes on wwwsmokingmetal.co.uk. It also adds to your circle of contacts and your own knowledge of the subject

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
Looks similar in style to my Waltham. There's a website that breaks down Waltham serial numbers by year, and mine's from 1935. Maybe there's a similar resource for Hamiltons?

04_1_sbl.jpg

That is a thing of beauty! Did you have it restored? And if you did - by whom. I just won this Waltham and am waiting for it to arrive.

watch.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brian Sheridan said:
That is a thing of beauty! Did you have it restored? And if you did - by whom.

No, it was in fine shape when I got it on eBay last June. It went for around $200. The only problem I had was that the band was too short, so I found a small jeweler's shop locally that had the right size, and later the minute hand fell off and I had it reattached at tightened by the same shop, which cost almost nothing.

It runs a little fast, but it keeps time well enough if I set it right before I leave for work.

I wish it was a little bigger so my old eyes could see it better, but that wasn't the style back then. I love the art deco styling.

rongoms

Familiar Face
1934, Tony, my man!

Great find! As I told brian, i've always had a soft spot for the "harlequin" cross-hatch pattern on the back of these movements, they only did it for a couple opf years and it's nice to see something other than C?¥tes de Gen?®ve on every sthinkin watch movement.

Well Done!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
My watch did arrive and - unlike the pictures - it was missing its long hand! I'm taking to a nearby expert soon and hopefully will have it fixed, cleaned, and oiled. I emailed the seller to ask what happened. Betcha I won't hear a thing and all I will be able to do is give him negative feedback. I don't think he sells many watches - as this was from an estate sale. I'll keep you posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn