Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me determine my size in the FW La Brea

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are probably right haha!

If we have anyone on the forum who owns one, that could be a great project. I remember he was (and probably still is) offering, as a payment for being allowed to study someone's vintage jacket, a free repro of that jacket.

HWY.BLUES

Vendor
Hi. I’m gonna be selling these at my shop (online first, brick + mortar soonafter). Pre-orders should come up in July-ish according to Freewheelers. I’ve got a 38 La Brea and I’m 5’9 170lbs. Here’s a not great photo pre-edit for reference. I know the Spring run of these will be available soon, but we’ll have these and other leather jackets available in the US with Affirm for financing and we’ll be working on a method for returns/exchanges if it’s feasible (these jackets ain’t cheap!). View attachment FE94028B-0095-417D-94D8-E8B1FC166B29.jpeg

Aloysius

Hi. I’m gonna be selling these at my shop (online first, brick + mortar soonafter). Pre-orders should come up in July-ish according to Freewheelers. I’ve got a 38 La Brea and I’m 5’9 170lbs. Here’s a not great photo pre-edit for reference. I know the Spring run of these will be available soon, but we’ll have these and other leather jackets available in the US with Affirm for financing and we’ll be working on a method for returns/exchanges if it’s feasible (these jackets ain’t cheap!). View attachment 402694

Congrats! What are your store details?

EDIT: Just noticed he posted about this already. Quoting for reference:

Hey y’all, my name is Bobby Milwaukee.

I wanted to post here to announce that I’m opening a new store early next year in New Orleans. We’re launching first online, with a potential studio/showroom and planning our storefront as we grow. Some of you might know me from my previous job, of which this is totally separate and unaffiliated.

We’re speaking with a few brands we’re very excited about, but I know a lot of you will be most interested to learn we are carrying Freewheelers & Co. In fact, we just placed our Spring/Summer order this weekend with first deliveries expected in February/March. Although there are no leather jackets for SS22, I know there will be a pre-order sometime early next Summer.

We’re small, brand new, and working right now with our own money so things will be a bit DIY as we get rolling, but I think anyone who’s worked with me in the past will attest that I treat my customers like friends and strive to provide the best retail experience possible.

Hope to see y’all on the online, and if anyone is ever in NOLA and wants to visit, we’d love to have ya.

Thanks,
Bob

Kenan

A-List Customer
Hi. I’m gonna be selling these at my shop (online first, brick + mortar soonafter). Pre-orders should come up in July-ish according to Freewheelers. I’ve got a 38 La Brea and I’m 5’9 170lbs. Here’s a not great photo pre-edit for reference. I know the Spring run of these will be available soon, but we’ll have these and other leather jackets available in the US with Affirm for financing and we’ll be working on a method for returns/exchanges if it’s feasible (these jackets ain’t cheap!). View attachment 402694
What is your naked chest measurement and size in jeans/pants?

Kenan

A-List Customer
Let me save you some time, i have close to 70 jackets and none are perfect...
But your La Brea is damn near perfect I gotta say! That being said I don’t expect perfect, I just look for jackets that will last a lifetime and thay I enjoy to wear.

red devil

But your La Brea is damn near perfect I gotta say! That being said I don’t expect perfect, I just look for jackets that will last a lifetime and thay I enjoy to wear.
Most jackets you will get will last several decades and potentially outlast you. The matter is not as much the jacket as it is you. Will you enjoy the same jacket for such a long time or will you sell it get something else and get in an endless cycle?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Kenan @Aloysius @58panheadfan
durable_jacket-001-860x1024.jpg

durable_jacket-002-807x1024.jpg

durable_jacket-004-768x1024.jpg

HarryLime

Familiar Face
I've got a La Brea blackjack coming... eventually... from The Wild One in size 40. I studied the measurements for a while, comparing them to about 10 other jackets I had access to, and eventually settled on 40. I'm 6'0 and 180lbs (and currently losing more). So if it doesn't fit, you'll see it in the classifieds.

58panheadfan

One Too Many

I had to smile when I read the following: "It needs a really good cleaning from a professional leather cleaner!"

Unfortunately, this is often a problem with older leather jackets, their "smell" and not in a positive sense. When you buy a vintage leather jacket online, you can't smell it... of course, not every nose is equally sensitive e.g. some like the "shinki" scent others refer to it as "shinki = stinky". Older leather jackets often hum, sometimes so badly that even professional cleaning or weeks of airing or others such as ozone treatment etc. do not help.

Has anyone had any experience with bad smelling vintage leather jackets... and if so, did anything help at all?

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I had to smile when I read the following: "It needs a really good cleaning from a professional leather cleaner!"

Unfortunately, this is often a problem with older leather jackets, their "smell" and not in a positive sense. When you buy a vintage leather jacket online, you can't smell it... of course, not every nose is equally sensitive e.g. some like the "shinki" scent others refer to it as "shinki = stinky". Older leather jackets often hum, sometimes so badly that even professional cleaning or weeks of airing or others such as ozone treatment etc. do not help.

Has anyone had any experience with bad smelling vintage leather jackets... and if so, did anything help at all?
The smell (from bacteria) can be taken care of with a little sun tanning and time, other methods also work to speed things up (and indoors) but they cost money.
It's not so much the smell for me for vintage jackets. But sizing. It's almost impossible to find one in modern sizing. And when I do, the seller usually want more than a new repro and then some. Still keeping my eyes open though. Vintage leather although thin and have holes, has patina I simply cannot replicate with repro. Maybe my repros will look like that in 20 years but not right now. And I always look in the pockets of vintage jackets. Sometimes there's a nice surprise.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It's not so much the smell for me for vintage jackets. But sizing. It's almost impossible to find one in modern sizing. And when I do, the seller usually want more than a new repro and then some. Still keeping my eyes open though.
What kind of vintage are you looking for? Crosszip mc, halfbelt, cafe racer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner