Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me determine my size in the FW La Brea

Kenan

A-List Customer
I was always on the hunt for the "holly grail jacket" I still haven't found it and had to realize that I probably won't find it in this life either. I'm happy with what I have today though... I hope @Kenan will find your jacket too and hopefully it will be the "La Brea".
I’ve just begun and it’s all very exciting, but don’t even know if that “holy grail jacket” actually exists. Some will probably get close but perfect is near impossible to achieve. Maybe that’s the charm at the end of the day. I’m looking for two jackets to finish my hunt for the next few years. A La Brea and a bespoke modified Manhatten from Field Leathers. Hopefully one of them will end up being a grail :)

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I measure my chest under my pits at the widest part. I think a lot of my chest measurement comes from my back which is probably true for many people. Keep in mind thay half measurements of jackets aren't perfect. I also am just used to having to size down due to how wide my chest is and how short my height is.
The P2P measurement is an indicator and not more. Ultimately it is the cut of the jacket, e.g. with or without side panels, etc. which is crucial.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I’ve just begun and it’s all very exciting, but don’t even know if that “holy grail jacket” actually exists. Some will probably get close but perfect is near impossible to achieve. Maybe that’s the charm at the end of the day. I’m looking for two jackets to finish my hunt for the next few years. A La Brea and a bespoke modified Manhatten from Field Leathers. Hopefully one of them will end up being a grail :)
Your mind setting is perfect, right from the start. It will save you from years of looking for the "ultimate one". The manufacturers you mentioned are also top, because you can't go wrong in terms of quality. The thing with the "holy grail jacket" has already filled some threads in this forum - lol

Last edited:

Kenan

A-List Customer
Your mind setting is perfect, right from the start. It will save you from years of looking for the "ultimate one". The manufacturers you mentioned are also top, because you can't go wrong in terms of quality. The thing with the "holly grail jacket" has already filled some threads in this forum - lol
That’s why this forum is so amazing. Learned it all here! It’s fun to read about the “Holy Grail Jackets” though! I think if a holy grail actually exist it would be the movie worn Durable jacket Marlon Brando wore. Has to be in that caliber to be a real holy grail lol

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It’s fun to read about the “Holy Grail Jackets” though!
This is a fun thread :

Kenan

A-List Customer
This is a fun thread :

Thanks for this! Perfect reading for the evening :D

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That’s why this forum is so amazing. Learned it all here! It’s fun to read about the “Holy Grail Jackets” though! I think if a holy grail actually exist it would be the movie worn Durable jacket Marlon Brando wore. Has to be in that caliber to be a real holy grail lol

I mean if that is your ideal jacket and you're willing to drop Freewheelers money, you may as well check out the Toys McCoy Durable… It would also essentially replace the Perfecto gap in your wardrobe from selling the mis-sized 613S.

Kenan

A-List Customer
I mean if that is your ideal jacket and you're willing to drop Freewheelers money, you may as well check out the Toys McCoy Durable… It would also essentially replace the Perfecto gap in your wardrobe from selling the mis-sized 613S.
I have been looking at that jacket, but my newest addition to my collection is a classic mc jacket from Aero which have all the features I want in one and the right sizing. The toys McCoy’s one is too much of gamble and it didn’t have brass hardware like I wanted. This is my Aero and I still have a Schott 618 HH.
AD54AAB8-CC2B-4184-A269-FD55266EA312.jpeg

58panheadfan

One Too Many
This is a fun thread :

Indeed, still have the two Jackets I have started that thread ✌ but not sure if they are my No. 1 and No. 2 atm :D

As mentioned @red devil “… there is no holy grail... but holy grails“

Edit: Not sure how many FL Members still have their „holy grails“ still today - lol

Last edited:

Aloysius

I have been looking at that jacket, but my newest addition to my collection is a classic mc jacket from Aero which have all the features I want in one and the right sizing. The toys McCoy’s one is too much of gamble and it didn’t have brass hardware like I wanted. This is my Aero and I still have a Schott 618 HH. View attachment 402627

The Aero motorcycle jacket is patterned on a Durable, IIRC, though there are some differences In the pocket configuration, so I agree that that would be repetitive.

Kenan

A-List Customer
The Aero motorcycle jacket is patterned on a Durable, IIRC, though there are some differences In the pocket configuration, so I agree that that would be repetitive.
I know that they made the jacket the Brando wax figure at Madam Toussads is wearing in London. The original jacket Brando wore in the move was also a Durable jacket.

A122F172-3014-42CF-A4EF-AFA0B125D491.jpeg

58panheadfan

One Too Many
https://billkelsomfg.com/shop/product/durable-one-star/

Interesting side note, they say Jacket is made from "black teacore horsehide" not sure if Original was dyed this way but mostly of MC Leather Jacket from this period were dyed-through afik. All my original vintage Jackets I had were dyed-through. But @tmitchell59 I am sure, can enlighten us... @Kenan as you can see how quick we are in a new interesting theme... worth a new thread e.g. Titel: "Vintage MC Jacket teacore or dyed-through?"

Last edited:

Aloysius

I know that they made the jacket the Brando wax figure at Madam Toussads is wearing in London. The original jacket Brando wore in the move was also a Durable jacket.

View attachment 402628

Quite, I was saying that the Aero "Motorcycle Jacket" is also modeled off of an original Durable that's a close match to Brando's, though they changed some of the pocket details in the version on sale. (They may be willing to change this for an individual order though, I am not sure.)

The Kelso version was compelling… and then as soon as the Toys McCoy version came out, they doubled their price to price match it. What a ridiculous thing to do!

The quality of the Kelso may be just as good but with that silly move I would rather buy the Toys McCoy than a jacket that before our very eyes was doubled in price because it bruised BK's ego that a competitor was more expensive.

Kenan

A-List Customer
I have been looking at that one too, but it’s overpriced for what you get and from reading on FL I’ve gathered that BK is maybe not so trustworthy. Also the rumours about his jackets are being made in Pakistan threw me off. He has some nice patterns though!
Was really interested in getting something from Aero and I had been looking at their Vicenza leather for a while, so I thought why not order a classic MC inspired by, but not a replica, of a Durable.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Quite, I was saying that the Aero "Motorcycle Jacket" is also modeled off of an original Durable that's a close match to Brando's, though they changed some of the pocket details in the version on sale. (They may be willing to change this for an individual order though, I am not sure.)

The Kelso version was compelling… and then as soon as the Toys McCoy version came out, they doubled their price to price match it. What a ridiculous thing to do!

The quality of the Kelso may be just as good but with that silly move I would rather buy the Toys McCoy than a jacket that before our very eyes was doubled in price because it bruised BK's ego that a competitor was more expensive.
Ahh right I get it :)

I got the exact same feeling about how Kelso handled that situation! It was really lame actually..

Aloysius

I have been looking at that one too, but it’s overpriced for what you get and from reading on FL I’ve gathered that BK is maybe not so trustworthy. Also the rumours about his jackets are being made in Pakistan threw me off. He has some nice patterns though!
Was really interested in getting something from Aero and I had been looking at their Vicenza leather for a while, so I thought why not order a classic MC inspired by, but not a replica, of a Durable.

Speaking of Pakistan, I imagine if someone got ahold of an original Durable and sent it to Shawn, Five Star would have a cracking Durable ready to go in a month, for under $500.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Speaking of Pakistan, I imagine if someone got ahold of an original Durable and sent it to Shawn, Five Star would have a cracking Durable ready to go in a month, for under $500.
You are probably right haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner