Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me understand the luxury (quality?) that is "Philipp Plein"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if people outside of the EU will know what I am talking about, but there is a brand called Philipp Plein that makes people, at least plenty that I know, drool over. When they see someone wearing a garment that says "Philipp Plein" on it or at least the small logo of his, they are amazed at how luxurious and high quality it is, complimenting the impeccable design among other things. Some people call him an innovator, a revolutionary when it comes to clothing. You can find interviews on YouTube, but they don't make any sense to me.

I am honestly, genuinely interested in learning what it is about things like this, now specifically the example being Philipp Plein, that makes it "luxurious" and worth the money.

I will provide some photos along with the price.

1.) This is a 100% Polyester "bomber jacket" which costs 1200 Euros:

16089766IR_14_f.jpg

2.) This is a hoodie which costs 3000 Euros. (yes, three thousand):

16177736_31024001_1000.jpg

3.) This is a lamb leather biker jacket which costs 2250 Euros:

14768624_26927716_1000.jpg

Just three examples among many. Basically, in Germany, at least in this town of Germany I live in, if people wear Philipp Plein, they are considered fashionable and luxurious, very special, with amazing taste, wearing some of the highest quality clothing available. You will find t-shirts of his costing over a thousand euros, or shoes for example, too. I believe he even does watches, but I don't care about that, I'm focusing on his clothes.

What is it about these clothes that makes them so awesome? I am honestly trying to understand this "fashion" thing, and I'm using Philipp Plein as an example because as much as I try to understand the "amazement" people express (not all, but most I know), I fail to understand it. I know that many things are subjective and simply a matter of taste, but what is it about, let's say this garment under point #3, the leather jacket, that makes it worth 2250 Euros. What is it about the manufacturing, material, and design features, that makes it stand out which justifies this price?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
You might be better off asking a fashion forum this question.

The Fedora Lounge is more of a forum dedicated to vintage style. Which, this really isn't. So this is very off topic for our community here.

It's mostly annoying to see how abused the term "bomber jacket" has gotten through the years. Apparently knit cuffs = bomber jacket.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars

The Fedora Lounge is more of a forum dedicated to vintage style. Which, this really isn't. So this is very off topic for our community here.

It's mostly annoying to see how abused the term "bomber jacket" has gotten through the years. Apparently knit cuffs = bomber jacket.
Okay, thanks. It's just that some recent discussions about luxury and fashion in other threads made me immediately think of the hype that is Philipp Plein here in Germany, so I was interested in maybe grasping a little bit of it. Because those in real life who worship Philipp Plein, who I ask about why these clothes are awesome, cannot explain it to me either, except saying a variation of "it's a Philipp Plein product", which is essentially a non-answer.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Stuff like that might get mentioned here from time to time, but it's generally in the context of something more directly related to the primary topic of vintage/classic style.

Which is precisely why the other thread, dedicated to a 90’s TV show, with no relevance to vintage style, the golden era or any reproduction of it, should also be removed.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Stuff like that might get mentioned here from time to time, but it's generally in the context of something more directly related to the primary topic of vintage/classic style.
Gotcha.

The thing is, I can at least explain, as odd as it may sound to someone, my preference for wider shoulders, or specific designs, certain functional features or lack thereof, etc.

But when it comes to something that is in this case Philipp Plein, no one has been able to give me an answer on what justifies the price tag of that leather jacket being three thousand euros, or what makes its design "incredible", among other things. The answers just basically all boil down to... "it's Philipp Plein, an awesome brand."

But you're right. Wrong thread on the wrong forum. Sorry.

Tec

New in Town
In the fashion world, a name or brand is more important than the quality of the product. Especially if the the stuff is being made by the actual designer by hand, which creates scarcity and a feeling of luxury — following that is the prestige of being able to own the product. The price will never reflect the quality, only the name.

Bear in mind that a lot of people that follow fashion don't really learn or necessarily care about the materials being used or the construction of the product, so to them the name itself signifies "quality" regardless of those things (since construction/material is absent from mind to begin with).

It's styled after the Air Force's MA-1 bomber jacket that's been around since the 50s.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Okay, thanks. It's just that some recent discussions about luxury and fashion in other threads made me immediately think of the hype that is Philipp Plein here in Germany, so I was interested in maybe grasping a little bit of it. Because those in real life who worship Philipp Plein, who I ask about why these clothes are awesome, cannot explain it to me either, except saying a variation of "it's a Philipp Plein product", which is essentially a non-answer.
No need to keep explaining your lack of understanding, or the variables there to for, in addition to, on and on, etc.
I got it in your first post.
Like @Guppy, et al said.
B

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
In the fashion world, a name or brand is more important than the quality of the product. Especially if the the stuff is being made by the actual designer by hand, which creates scarcity and a feeling of luxury — following that is the prestige of being able to own the product. The price will never reflect the quality, only the name.

Bear in mind that a lot of people that follow fashion don't really learn or necessarily care about the materials being used or the construction of the product, so to them the name itself signifies "quality" regardless of those things (since construction/material is absent from mind to begin with).

It's styled after the Air Force's MA-1 bomber jacket that's been around since the 50s.
OK, that actually makes sense. Thank you and welcome to the forum. If I understood you right, it's basically just all about "owning" something that a popular designer created, and most of those people don't even know what exactly they are paying for. But because it's a particular "name", it must be "awesome" and "luxury". The name and price tag is indicative of the quality to them.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
No need to keep explaining your lack of understanding, or the variables there to for, in addition to, on and on, etc.
I got it in your first post.
Like @Guppy, et al said.
B
Oh OK, so you're a Philipp Plein fan. I'm sorry if I offended you, I wasn't taking a shot at you guys at all. I was just trying to get inside the mindset, understanding what luxurious clothing truly is.

No hard feelings. As long as you feel great in your Philipp Plein gear, enjoy it. :)

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
I sense that youre trying to make a point about something, but Im not 100% tracking exactly what - it would be much quicker and easier for everyone if you just came out and said what it is.
It's all good. I underestimated the sensitivity of the matter when it comes to Philipp Plein.

Will not engage in provocations, so, end of the discussion for me.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Oh OK, so you're a Philipp Plein fan. I'm sorry if I offended you, I wasn't taking a shot at you guys at all. I was just trying to get inside the mindset, understanding what luxurious clothing truly is.

No hard feelings. As long as you feel great in your Philipp Plein gear, enjoy it. :)
You’re quick!
You got me as a Plein fanboy. I’m well known in all things fashion regardless of style as long as it costs lots of money and is shiny i’m there.
Just check any of my fashion fanboy posts and enjoy.
Thanks for the belly laugh and welcome to the lounge.
B

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Not crapping on fashion brands. But most are just copy of a copy of a copy. Very few are original, and they are usually priced for the top 0.5%. The rest of high end fashion brands are just 2000 dollars of the Taobao jacket. Same quality, but 1850 dollars more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner