Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help out an Aero newbie

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
I have never heard of them posting or providing jacket measurements for any of their models. What I have seen from looking at the Aero sales page and the classifieds here is an incredible variation of measurements in the same labeled size of the same model of jacket. I think in part that is because Aero is making many of these jackets based on measurements provided by their customers. I think the take away here is that you need to share your measurements and how you want the jacket to fit and count on them to get the sizing right for you. Most of the time they do exceedingly well at this

That's my plan! I'm hoping Holly will be willing to take some additional measurements into consideration, like shoulder to shoulder across my back, which I have for the purpose of MTM shirts. I know they won't adjust that, but I'm hoping it informs their consideration of my possible desire to drop a size from top to waist.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
I recently ordered a modified Hooch Hauler from Carrie at Thurston Bros. This is the 6th jacket I purchased from Carrie. The service is outstanding and she and Wade really know their stuff regarding fit and styles. I think you should seriously consider going through Thurston Bros. For comparison, the Hooch Hauler (HH) in Bison trading is listed at $1499 Canadian. My modified Hooch Hauler (HH) through Thurston Bros was $1144 US which is $1525 Canadian (based on conversion). My duties and taxes are $50 Canadian to be paid once I receive the jacket. So the difference is less than $100 Canadian. In addition, the HH price in Bison Trading is just the basic HH with CXL leather and the standard lining - If you get a Tartan lining or add modifications, the price will go up. My HH has a Tartan lining with a coin pocket and throat latch as mods. Also Thurston Bros offers a fit jacket service to customize the fit (albeit addition payment).
FYI my experience with customs/duties is about $50 for an Aero Jacket in CXL leather ordered through Thurston Bros. I found Aero jackets made with Vicenza leather, the duties can go up to $130. My guess is that CXL is made in the US and thus falls under NAFTA and thus lower duties. Vicenza is made in Italy and thus commands more duties/taxes (just my observation with my previous purchases.)

Radz

Thanks Radz, I appreciate your experienced perspective. While I'd like to spend the additional funds for a fit jacket with Thurston, that's just a bridge to far for me on this purchase (cost-wise). Otherwise, I would likely go with them. As it is, given how positive everyone here is about the service through Aero, I think I'm going that route.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Another question for you folks! I just found an older thread about CXL vs. Vincenza and how they age, and I'm really leaning toward CXL now. When I look at the leather options listed for the Bootlegger (which I know aren't necessarily definitive), what's listed is 'Heavy CX Steerhide.' So is that the same as CXL? I wouldn't think so based on my brief google searches, but I can't tell.

Also, can I assume that goat doesn't age as nicely as CXL? Because some of the CXL aging looked simply spectacular.

Cxl can be Horse or steer. People have their preferences...Get samples and feel for yourself. Carrying around samples in your pocket is one of the best parts of your first Aero jacket. The smell is intoxicating, and it’s a lot of fun to see and feel how the samples wear in. I still have mine :) years later.

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Another question for you folks! I just found an older thread about CXL vs. Vincenza and how they age, and I'm really leaning toward CXL now. When I look at the leather options listed for the Bootlegger (which I know aren't necessarily definitive), what's listed is 'Heavy CX Steerhide.' So is that the same as CXL? I wouldn't think so based on my brief google searches, but I can't tell.

Also, can I assume that goat doesn't age as nicely as CXL? Because some of the CXL aging looked simply spectacular.
CXL is the way of tanning done by Horween leather. CXL leather can either be steer hide (CX steer) or CXL horse hide (CX horse). Heavy CX steer is CXL steer. Vicenza is Made in Italy Veg tan leather. CXL leather horse and steer is around 3oz or more thickness while Vicenza is 2-2.5oz thickness. I have jackets in both Vicenza and CXL. Both are nice leathers and both gain grain quite nicely. However, I feel Vicenza doesn't quite patina a well as CXL. Vicenza grains nicely and molds well to the body but does not show as much color variation in patina as CXL does. The Color of Vicenza seems to stay consistent unless you get the natural Vicenza or russet shades which do patina well.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For V shape, get their motorcycle jackets, the Elvis, King of the Road, Indian Ranger are all V. Route 66 is pretty good too, has a nice blouson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Cxl can be Horse or steer. People have their preferences...Get samples and feel for yourself. Carrying around samples in your pocket is one of the best parts of your first Aero jacket. The smell is intoxicating, and it’s a lot of fun to see and feel how the samples wear in. I still have mine :) years later.

Ha that does sound like fun. But I'm too impatient to wait for samples! I'm pretty sure steer will do me, over horse.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
CXL is the way of tanning done by Horween leather. CXL leather can either be steer hide (CX steer) or CXL horse hide (CX horse). Heavy CX steer is CXL steer. Vicenza is Made in Italy Veg tan leather. CXL leather horse and steer is around 3oz or more thickness while Vicenza is 2-2.5oz thickness. I have jackets in both Vicenza and CXL. Both are nice leathers and both gain grain quite nicely. However, I feel Vicenza doesn't quite patina a well as CXL. Vicenza grains nicely and molds well to the body but does not show as much color variation in patina as CXL does. The Color of Vicenza seems to stay consistent unless you get the natural Vicenza or russet shades which do patina well.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed explanation Radz! I know I want dark brown, so this reinforces my preference for the CX steer.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Awesome, thanks for the detailed explanation Radz! I know I want dark brown, so this reinforces my preference for the CX steer.

The CLX brown is more of a chocolate brown though, not a real dark brown. If you want dark brown, consider the seal jerky horsehide or the dark seal vicenca.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
For V shape, get their motorcycle jackets, the Elvis, King of the Road, Indian Ranger are all V. Route 66 is pretty good too, has a nice blouson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All good V suggestions, thanks regius. I've decided I'd probably feel too conspicuous in a biker jacket, so I'm going to sacrifice some of that V with, probably, the Bootlegger. Just for personal comfort!

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
The CLX brown is more of a chocolate brown though, not a real dark brown. If you want dark brown, consider the seal jerky horsehide or the dark seal vicenca.

Oh, I see. Maybe I need to take handymike's advice and get samples after all.

Do those other options you mentioned age and patina as nicely as CLX? I'm guessing not...

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All good V suggestions, thanks regius. I've decided I'd probably feel too conspicuous in a biker jacket, so I'm going to sacrifice some of that V with, probably, the Bootlegger. Just for personal comfort!
The Bootlegger was my first cross zip jacket for exactly that reason. When properly sized it has all of the taper one would ever want and it is a very sharp looking jacket. I find it is more versatile than my biker jackets as well since it can be worn almost anywhere without looking out of place.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
The Bootlegger was my first cross zip jacket for exactly that reason. When properly sized it has all of the taper one would ever want and it is a very sharp looking jacket. I find it is more versatile than my biker jackets as well since it can be worn almost anywhere without looking out of place.

That's exactly what I'm after. Thanks for the encouragement, El!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I see. Maybe I need to take handymike's advice and get samples after all.

Do those other options you mentioned age and patina as nicely as CLX? I'm guessing not...
Getting samples sure is best, especially CLX looks very different in most pictures than irl. True color is hard to catch on photographs and then it looks differently in different light too. I haven't seen any hard worn seal jerky hh jacket or dark seal vic yet; @Monitor 's Aero Trucker is made from the stuff, but I don't think it has much patina yet. @Fanch owns a dark seal vicenca Sheene I believe, maybe that one has seen some wear..

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Getting samples sure is best, especially CLX looks very different in most pictures than irl. True color is hard to catch on photographs and then it looks differently in different light too. I haven't seen any hard worn seal jerky hh jacket or dark seal vic yet; @Monitor 's Aero Trucker is made from the stuff, but I don't think it has much patina yet. @Fanch owns a dark seal vicenca Sheene I believe, maybe that one has seen some wear..

Thanks for those references, I'm going to look for pics.

I can't find any way to order leather samples through the Aero site (the links on the Custom Leather page want to charge me 75 GBP for the Vicenza :rolleyes:). So I'm assuming I request them through personal email? I guess I ask for the specific ones I want; or do they have a standard samples package?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Never ordered samples, I'd just mail them and kindly ask. In fact, they are reading this board so by the time they receive your mail, they may already have gathered samples of what you are looking for. :D

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Can anyone tell me how Aero does the PtP, Sleeve, Shoulder and Back measurements they list on their sale jackets? I'm trying to use a corduroy jacket I have to compare, but I'm not sure exactly where to start and stop measuring, when to go straight across or curve, etc., and I can't find any guides on the Aero site or by googling.

Send an email to Holly...
Make sure to ask for everything in your desired color-range! You might end up loving one you hadn’t thought of until you have it in hand.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
38a6a2e9c66a75efc5d882da1a19a822.jpg

Someone, can’t remember the user name, posted pics of his broken in A2 in seal jerky HH a while back. Jerky HH is not dyed through, it has a top coat and lighter tones underneath that will show through with wear.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider