Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help: Rainbow Country Zipper Not Working

Igneous629

One of the Regulars
I just received this beautiful RC Hercules in the mail and the zipper isn’t wanting to zip properly. I have another Hercules in a difference color and I do not have this issue. I’ve tried holding it every which way while zipping and can’t get it. Any recommendations? Thank you!
IMG_1660.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1659.jpeg
    IMG_1659.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

PilotJens

A-List Customer
Get a cheap set of slider replacements.They usually have a size stamped on to the back side .
Try out which one fits and get a equivalent higher quality one .If you like the "pull tap" on the old one then get a "open" slider and insert the old one if it fits . That's how the "easy" repro zips are made .Open sliders with a repro zipper pull

Fonzie

One Too Many
You can easily fix that slider with some needle nose pliers tightening it a little from the sides, very easy process and no need to replace. I’ve done it a few times, there’s plenty of tutorials on how to do it on YouTube, it’s a one minute job.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Hope, you get it sorted with above‘s measures.

There should be a special place in hell for makers selling x.000 dollar repros with Non-functional zippers.
Given the choice, I always opt for YKk. And always for a No. 8 size minimum for heavier leather.

Observe

One Too Many

There should be a special place in hell for makers selling x.000 dollar repros with Non-functional zippers.
Given the choice, I always opt for YKk. And always for a No. 8 size minimum for heavier leather.
Agreed, I think it's a terrible practice and I'd never buy a jacket with a zipper like that again.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
This problem and how to resolve it has been discussed by Marc in the thread below.

Igneous629

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for your help. I love this forum and how helpful the community is! I’m up in the mountains skiing but will try this when I get back home.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

But they look so cool! Sadly, companies can make excellent zips but they make a financial decision not to. YKK does make a nice vintage line. I have seen them and like them very much. Additionally, they are other brands that do make exceptional vintage zippers. The problem is with the jacket maker. They do know better... Putting a low quality item in a high priced garment is a no no. Additionally, not saying the user doe not properly know how to operate the zipper. However, I have come to know that most zippers fail due to improper user practices. Those nice zippers require the user to pay attention when inserting the male pin all the way down and properly holding it in place the insure good zipper function.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
One teeth at a time to get it back down. It’ll take 5 minutes that seems like an hour but better to go down slowly than go up or break, I’ve done many times on these zippers…
Older fan shaped cast pulls are not as good as the newer rectangle shaped hookless they’re softer metal it seems.
You can actually slide a regular Talon pull on these tracks. As long as it’s the Japan ones made by Waldes, they’ll work. The Talon pulls is made of stiffer cast metal it seems and may work a bit smoother.
If the track is busted then you have no choice but to replace the whole zipper… This is the unfortunate reality with these damn repros…

Igneous629

One of the Regulars
One teeth at a time to get it back down. It’ll take 5 minutes that seems like an hour but better to go down slowly than go up or break, I’ve done many times on these zippers…
Older fan shaped cast pulls are not as good as the newer rectangle shaped hookless they’re softer metal it seems.
You can actually slide a regular Talon pull on these tracks. As long as it’s the Japan ones made by Waldes, they’ll work. The Talon pulls is made of stiffer cast metal it seems and may work a bit smoother.
If the track is busted then you have no choice but to replace the whole zipper… This is the unfortunate reality with these damn repros…
How do you know if it’s the track or the zipper?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
How do you know if it’s the track or the zipper?
the Tape would be damaged or missing metal teeth or crooked teeth.
these Hookless zippers are definitely finicky, it takes special love.
For daily use it’s not recommended. I can’t imagine people would take the extra time to zip up every time. They look cool though with the grommet. Its a good looking but very high maintenance love…

Igneous629

One of the Regulars
I didn’t see any damage to the tape or teeth when I was trying to figure it out yesterday so I’m going to assume it’s probably the zipper

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thank you all for your help. I love this forum and how helpful the community is! I’m up in the mountains skiing but will try this when I get back home.

Off topic: the leather looks really cool. Full (fit) pictures would be great, once you make the time!

Igneous629

One of the Regulars
Off topic: the leather looks really cool. Full (fit) pictures would be great, once you make the time!
I will definitely do that! The previous owner didn’t know what type of leather it was, but wow I love the color. He was guessing bovine, but it feels like horse hide to me. The tag is white, which by the research it is a special order or order for a shop. Anyone seen a Hercules and in this color and have any idea what it is?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I didn’t see any damage to the tape or teeth when I was trying to figure it out yesterday so I’m going to assume it’s probably the zipper
That's good news, all it takes is a little time and finesse to work the zipper down to the bottom again.

I just separated my hookless Herc on purpose, and worked it down slowly to the bottom to reset it. One teeth at a time, no brute force but finesse. Use a little lube if you got some around it helps,

bottom separated:
IMG_5938.JPG

Pull the slider down, one teeth one side at a time, hold the side you're trying to go down a teeth on,
IMG_5945.JPG
IMG_5956.JPG

The five minute will seem like an hour but it can be done!
IMG_5964.JPG

These finicky hookless male pin needs to go all the way to the bottom before zipping up, otherwise this bottom separate happens. Actually a lot of NOS Talons does this too, not just hookless. But some Hookless has very brittle pull tabs (bad casting) and they will snap in half. If this happens, look for a NOS Talon pull tab, they will work on the Waldes track. Or get a new Waldes. Probably easier to find a NOS Talon tab somewhere on this side of the Pacific though. Pain in the ass to get a Waldes zipper here.

Great jacket btw, but damn the zipper...

Igneous629

One of the Regulars
That's good news, all it takes is a little time and finesse to work the zipper down to the bottom again.

I just separated my hookless Herc on purpose, and worked it down slowly to the bottom to reset it. One teeth at a time, no brute force but finesse. Use a little lube if you got some around it helps,

bottom separated:
View attachment 606613

Pull the slider down, one teeth one side at a time, hold the side you're trying to go down a teeth on,
View attachment 606615 View attachment 606616

The five minute will seem like an hour but it can be done!
View attachment 606617

These finicky hookless male pin needs to go all the way to the bottom before zipping up, otherwise this bottom separate happens. Actually a lot of NOS Talons does this too, not just hookless. But some Hookless has very brittle pull tabs (bad casting) and they will snap in half. If this happens, look for a NOS Talon pull tab, they will work on the Waldes track. Or get a new Waldes. Probably easier to find a NOS Talon tab somewhere on this side of the Pacific though. Pain in the ass to get a Waldes zipper here.

Great jacket btw, but damn the zipper...
Your response and detail is much appreciated. I’ll see if I can’t figure it out without replacing first. If I can’t get it to work, I’ll go with a waldes or a nos talon.

Your response and detail is much appreciated. I’ll see if I can’t figure it out without replacing first. If I can’t get it to work, I’ll go with a waldes or a nos talon.

After getting it back down and before even tightening the slider (which can definitely fix the issue), lube up the teeth with wax and work the zipper up slowly. I’ve done this with some zips and they started working fine.

Igneous629

One of the Regulars
After getting it back down and before even tightening the slider (which can definitely fix the issue), lube up the teeth with wax and work the zipper up slowly. I’ve done this with some zips and they started working fine.
Is there particular type of wax you use?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner