Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help w/ new Dobbs lid

OliverTwist

New in Town
I picked up this contempo Dobbs straw at Meyer the Hatter in New Orleans two months ago. I wrapped the paisley band over the original brown grosgrain ribbon...

R55pRwc.jpg

Lkgyvds.jpg

sMW2zEb.jpg

f58cs9i.jpg

k5aNY1G.jpg

JTI1stq.jpg

MA18EgC.jpg

I really like the shape; it's the closest I've found in modern headwear to the classic silhouettes of my mid-century hats.

I'm going to be in Italy this fall and I'd like to find something similar in an autumnal fabric like felt or fur. I'm having a custom horsehide A2 made based on a WWII-era Aero Leather jacket with a russet colored finish, so I'd like something in a hat to match.

I purchased a Stetson Whippet in tawny color from Amazon the other day (free return shipping) and the style didn't suit me at all. I need a narrower brim and shorter crown that isn't as structured. I'd love to find the equivalent shape as my straw Dobbs in a quality year-round finish.

I typically wear casual poplin hats; i.e. rain hats or fishing hats with short brims and round crushable crowns that I pull down over my brow. I bought one from Meyer in NOLA recently, and I have two more from O'Connell's in Buffalo, NY. These obviously wouldn't work with a horsehide A2, but I do think I look better in a more round, porkpie shaped hat.

I've also toyed around with the idea of something similar to what Cary Grant wears in "Only Angels Have Wings", but with a slightly shorter brim. I'm not sure whether that would work. Ideally, I'd love to find the same classic shape as my Dobbs above, only in a year-round felt; not too dressy. Something I can wear with shetland crews and casually tilt forward. I just can't pull it off with the Whippet style. I need more of a 1950's silhouette.

Can anyone a) identify the style, or better, the model of my Dobbs above; and b) can anyone recommend something similar or identical in a light wool felt?

The one thing about the Stetson Whippet that I really dig is the tawny color. I'd love to find the same in the style of my Dobbs straw!

Thanks so much!

Edited to add that cost is not much of a consideration; within reason. I'm willing to spend upwards of a few hundred for top quality, but I don't feel comfortable enough to go fully bespoke/custom as I worry about the look and I prefer to try before committing to anything, given how rare it is to find the right style hat in vintage or new.

Last edited:

OliverTwist

New in Town
Also, I remembered that I do have a charcoal 1960's era Stetson Royal De Luxe "Gun Club" that works well. Unfortunately it's the wrong color and I mostly save it for worsted or flannel suits. I'd love to have one in a cigar or whiskey color. If I can find the same in a modern hat, I'd be a happy man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner