Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with A-2 purchase

Spitfire40

New in Town
Hello,
I'm planning to get a seal brown A-2 and what I'm looking for is a good trim fit with good quality components that will last a while. In the past, I had ordered an A-2 in goatskin from US Authentic in size 38 Skinny, but that jacket was way off in fit. It measured 23 inches pit-to-pit and I was swimming in it. My chest measures 38" and I'm not really a very skinny skinny guy. I'm 5' 5" and weigh 158 lbs.
I looked at the JA Dubow Mfg but I haven't been able to get in touch with them. Does anyone have experience with this maker? Seems to be a good deal based on the couple of reviews, but I'm wary given the lack of response.
Other option I'm considering is Eastman from HPA, but the length is my concern since I'm 5' 5". What would be a appropriate length for A-2 given my height? I thought the 24.5 jacket length of the US Authentic I tried was not bad, but I'd like inputs.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
How about having an A-2 custom made to your specs? There are a couple manufacturers that will do that.

seres

A-List Customer
I would give Thurston Brothers a call and talk to Carrie. She could send a fit jacket, which you will try on and take some pics. Then a phone call will give you exact answers, and you can choose the style, leather, length, etc.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
+1
I think Thurston Brothers is a great way to go here because you are very unlikely to find something off the rack that fits without modifications.

Spitfire40

New in Town
Hi Fellow loungers,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, Thurston Brothers sounds like a good option, but I hit up the quartermaster sale like Boyo suggested and ordered a size 40 42-18775. The length on this jacket as pert the listing was 24.5 (much shorter than other listings in size 40) which should work out well for me, with a pit-to-pit of 21. I might have to get the sleeves taken in a bit. Seemed like a good deal, considering it was the more expensive Vicenza HH.
Looks like the jacket shipped today morning. Lets see how this one turns out.

Last edited:

Spitfire40

New in Town
I recurved the jacket in the mail today. I think it’s just a bit roomy in the torso. The pit to pit for this jacket was listed as 21, but I measured it to be 21.5. I might have to get the sleeves taken in by inch & a half
IMG_1547.jpg
IMG_1548.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
The sleeves are long, the knits shouldn't be inside the sleeve that much.
How does the jacket feel? it looks like its comfortable and you can move around in it.

Spitfire40

New in Town
@Boyo , Yes the sleeves are long & I had anticipated that. I was going have them taken in by 2 inches, but there are other fit issues.
I measured the jacket after the post above & it is actually bigger than what was listed on the website. The pit-to-pit was measured at 22" while the listing said 21" and the shoulder measured on at 18" while the listing said 17". It felt too roomy in the chest & the back. My other leather jacket (not A-2) is 21" pit-to-pit & fits well.
I sent an email to aero with pictures & Dominic replied in no time with a gracious apology & offered a full refund and said Aero would pick up the return shipping.
I'm going to go via Thurston now. The fact that they are in the US is less of a hassle & also the fit jacket process makes a lot of sense.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
^^ Sounds like a good plan. even though this one didn't work out it will pay off in the end as you should now have a good sense of what measurements you want from a custom jacket.. Take a bunch of measurements of this jacket and a good bunch of fit pics for future reference.
As always Aero customer service is top notch.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
@Boyo , Yes the sleeves are long & I had anticipated that. I was going have them taken in by 2 inches, but there are other fit issues.
I measured the jacket after the post above & it is actually bigger than what was listed on the website. The pit-to-pit was measured at 22" while the listing said 21" and the shoulder measured on at 18" while the listing said 17". It felt too roomy in the chest & the back. My other leather jacket (not A-2) is 21" pit-to-pit & fits well.
I sent an email to aero with pictures & Dominic replied in no time with a gracious apology & offered a full refund and said Aero would pick up the return shipping.
I'm going to go via Thurston now. The fact that they are in the US is less of a hassle & also the fit jacket process makes a lot of sense.

Good that you are getting what you want but frankly measurements will often vary depending on who is measuring and a difference of half an inch to an inch is common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24