Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Ladies Jacket

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Hi guys,

Getting stuff for my lady seems to be a bit of a struggle, she likes a certain pattern but it's not that easy to find something that fits the way she would like it to. I too would prefer that the jacket I get will at least last more then a few years unlike some flimsy fashion leather.

I bought these 2 jackets for her unfortunately they don't fit but she really likes the style. She needs a medium Uk 10, US 8 not a small (US 6)... silly me!
French Perfecto 01.jpg

French Perfecto 02.jpg
Schott Bros NYC women's Leather Jacket 01.jpg
Schott Bros NYC women's Leather Jacket 05.jpg

The other thing too is I rather get her a jacket in really good medium weight leather that will last and only get better as it ages leathers like like goat, kangaroo or even cow. The above 2 are in rather thin lamb skin which I am not keen on.

I'm looking to get 2 jackets for her, a Perfecto style jacket and a mid trench / safari type.

For the latter, it'll be great if I could find something in a style similar to the 2nd jacket or something like these too:
A shorter version of something like this, perhaps a mid length trench:

!Leather Trench Front.jpg
!Leather Trench Back.jpg

or similar to a Belstaff Sammy Miller
Belstaff Sammy Miller 01.jpg
Belstaff Sammy Miller 04.jpg

Any help would be really appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Mawashi

Last edited:

Batoidea

One of the Regulars
Schott is one of the main brands I've seen recommended here for perfectos, and they make some really nice ones for women, but they're certainly not your only option for a good leather jacket. Is there are price range you're intent on sticking within? What about colours - is she only interested in black? If you're after leather that visibly ages (in a really cool way), of the three that you listed, you might be better off looking for jackets made from cowhide. Kangaroo and goat are terrific, lightweight and extremely tough, but they tend to keep a cleaner, newer appearance for far longer. Some like that, others don't.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lambskin is the usual leather choice for women's jacket these days not just because of the weight but also the way it drapes and fits. Best take that into consideration before insisting on some thicker stiffer leather. Kangaroo may be an alternative in that department. Not sure about cowhide

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Schott is one of the main brands I've seen recommended here for perfectos, and they make some really nice ones for women, but they're certainly not your only option for a good leather jacket. Is there are price range you're intent on sticking within? What about colours - is she only interested in black? If you're after leather that visibly ages (in a really cool way), of the three that you listed, you might be better off looking for jackets made from cowhide. Kangaroo and goat are terrific, lightweight and extremely tough, but they tend to keep a cleaner, newer appearance for far longer. Some like that, others don't.

Hi Batoidea,

My gf isn't the sort who likes her jackets to look like something from a goodwill store if it looks aged n tattered it'll be out of the house lol.

It's her first forey into serious leather jackets from fashion pieces like Guess, Ralph Lauren, etc so a Schott or Vanson is totally unheard of and when she picked up my Brakeman she complained it was too heavy lol.

I guess if I was to get a 2nd hand piece it would be around the $450 range and if I had to get a new piece it'll be in the $1000 range.

Thedi, Vansons and Schots are very high on my list as they make fantastic jackets.

For now I rather stick to the tried n true cos like me we have very little experience w serious leather jackets and something like a Perfecto style in black and maybe a mid trench in cognac, Whiskey or plain black would be a good start.

Aero?
Then you get to choose a thick(er) leather and get playful with colors. like this teal steerhide
View attachment 512640

Hi 3.14nche,

That really looks striking but I think she'll want something that is easy to nix n match and even wear to the office or on business trips.

There's something special about a Perfecto on a woman so if I could get a really nice Perfecto styled jacket it'll be a great start to her collection.

She isn't a biker and neither am I so I'm looking for something that wears well for traveling, is durable and lasts.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Lambskin is the usual leather choice for women's jacket these days not just because of the weight but also the way it drapes and fits. Best take that into consideration before insisting on some thicker stiffer leather. Kangaroo may be an alternative in that department. Not sure about cowhide

Hi Blackadder,

Agree on how lamb drapes and as it's easy to wear as it's so light but after trying the Schotts and comparing it against the Brakeman she wanted to try something more substantial than lamb.

Good timing to let her try some heavier hides to see what she'll prefer.

Batoidea

One of the Regulars
Thedi, Vansons and Schots are very high on my list as they make fantastic jackets.

For now I rather stick to the tried n true cos like me we have very little experience w serious leather jackets and something like a Perfecto style in black and maybe a mid trench in cognac, Whiskey or plain black would be a good start.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three makers (I'd love to get a Thedi myself some day) and you can find quite a good deal of Schotts and Vansons on the used market. Lewis Leathers and Langlitz (their goatskin jackets are highly regarded) could be worth keeping an eye out for as well - most of the best deals I've seen for secondhand jackets of theirs have been for the ladies.

Blackadder

Hi Blackadder,

Agree on how lamb drapes and as it's easy to wear as it's so light but after trying the Schotts and comparing it against the Brakeman she wanted to try something more substantial than lamb.

Good timing to let her try some heavier hides to see what she'll prefer.
Certainly let her try, especially if you are introducing her to the different leather-specific brands and encourage her to try those on. May be it sounds too cautious but I was trying to say it may not be a good idea to go off on your own and buy a jacket based on the men's or FL criteria.
I believe Lewis Leather offers some thick lambskin and LL also often seen as more fashionable. I have also seen some high end brands making weightier lambskin motorcycle jacket but those are mostly for men.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I totally get why you want a thicker, more durable leather, but you do want to double check with her to make sure that she is comfortable with it. A lot of ladies do not like the kind of leathers we do (heck, not everyone on here likes CXL jackets). She might love it, but it could be a dealbreaker. For example, my wife wears all the same types of stuff I do (thick flannel shirts, heavy sweatshirts, raw denim jeans, good quality boots, etc. She even has heavy pairs of Nicks boots that she loves, but she still does NOT like leather jackets. Not because she doesn't like how they look, but because she finds them heavy and uncomfortable. Some women are fine with medium to heavy leathers, but I think you should confirm this before going forward. The fact that she does want to try something heavier than lamb is good, but make sure she does try it. If you can't find any women's jackets to try on, just have her try some heavier men's jackets close to her size so she can at least experience the weight. If she doesn't mind it, then the world is her oyster.

If you do, I'd say Thedi or Aero would be solid options. I would imagine Thedi would do an incredible job at this.

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
I struggle with this too as I 'd love to get my wife something better than she has leather jacket-wise. That said if yours is anything like mine, I would take her somewhere to try some options before pulling the trigger. Sometimes I think I'm close, but there is some detail that is important to her from a female perspective that I either don't see or don't understand. Regardless of the current cultural shifts, my experience tells me that by a and large, when it comes to women and men, we ain't the same.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three makers (I'd love to get a Thedi myself some day) and you can find quite a good deal of Schotts and Vansons on the used market. Lewis Leathers and Langlitz (their goatskin jackets are highly regarded) could be worth keeping an eye out for as well - most of the best deals I've seen for secondhand jackets of theirs have been for the ladies.

Hi Batoidea,

I did not consider Langlitz cos I always thought they were very pricey but I found something like this online so thanks:

A Langlitz Feather!
It's certainly interesting but the seller did say it weighted in at 3.5 lbs (some heavy feather this is) which is pretty substantial and she wasn't sure if it was goat or cow.
1985 Langlitz Feather Front 02.png

1985 Langlitz Feather Back 02.png

This too (fashion jacket though):

Burberry Front 01.jpg

Burberry Front 02.jpg

Burberry Back 01.jpg

If you are willing to stretch this you could consider a Thedi

UTyM9TX.jpg

Hi Red Devil,

Wow that looks amazing, how much would that set me back by... I'm almost afraid to ask... :(

Willing isn't the question its' more able or not lol.

Certainly let her try, especially if you are introducing her to the different leather-specific brands and encourage her to try those on. May be it sounds too cautious but I was trying to say it may not be a good idea to go off on your own and buy a jacket based on the men's or FL criteria.
I believe Lewis Leather offers some thick lambskin and LL also often seen as more fashionable. I have also seen some high end brands making weightier lambskin motorcycle jacket but those are mostly for men.

I totally get why you want a thicker, more durable leather, but you do want to double check with her to make sure that she is comfortable with it. A lot of ladies do not like the kind of leathers we do (heck, not everyone on here likes CXL jackets). She might love it, but it could be a dealbreaker. For example, my wife wears all the same types of stuff I do (thick flannel shirts, heavy sweatshirts, raw denim jeans, good quality boots, etc. She even has heavy pairs of Nicks boots that she loves, but she still does NOT like leather jackets. Not because she doesn't like how they look, but because she finds them heavy and uncomfortable. Some women are fine with medium to heavy leathers, but I think you should confirm this before going forward. The fact that she does want to try something heavier than lamb is good, but make sure she does try it. If you can't find any women's jackets to try on, just have her try some heavier men's jackets close to her size so she can at least experience the weight. If she doesn't mind it, then the world is her oyster.

If you do, I'd say Thedi or Aero would be solid options. I would imagine Thedi would do an incredible job at this.

Hi guys,

You are both right, she is certainly very different than I when it comes to personal choices and I'm willing to look at Lewis Leathers, Thedi and Aero. I would like to think goat might be a very good choice if it's not too heavy.
In comparison, how much would a goat jacket weight compared to a similar cow or horse hide jacket please?

I struggle with this too as I 'd love to get my wife something better than she has leather jacket-wise. That said if yours is anything like mine, I would take her somewhere to try some options before pulling the trigger. Sometimes I think I'm close, but there is some detail that is important to her from a female perspective that I either don't see or don't understand. Regardless of the current cultural shifts, my experience tells me that by a and large, when it comes to women and men, we ain't the same.

You're preaching to the choir Gypsymoth82. We are as different as chalk and cheese when it comes to such stuff. Think Burberry vs Orvis or Levis sigh...

My wife nicked a suede goatskin bomber I had and really likes it. She likes roomier stuff, though.

Lucky you at least you know what she likes I just took her to get a rain coat and it was like trying to guess KFC's secret ingredients. X amount of length, y amount of weight, a, b, c, of this color, etc etc. all that for a simple travel rain coat lol.

Is there a female calculator that I could input some numbers and get an 99% guesstimate lol?

Attachments

• Burberry Front 02.jpg
    Burberry Front 02.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 44

Blackadder

Hi Batoidea,

I did not consider Langlitz cos I always thought they were very pricey but I found something like this online so thanks:

A Langlitz Feather!
It's certainly interesting but the seller did say it weighted in at 3.5 lbs (some heavy feather this is) which is pretty substantial and she wasn't sure if it was goat or cow.
View attachment 512952

View attachment 512953

This too (fashion jacket though):

View attachment 512965

View attachment 512967
View attachment 512968

Hi Red Devil,

Wow that looks amazing, how much would that set me back by... I'm almost afraid to ask... :(

Willing isn't the question its' more able or not lol.

Hi guys,

You are both right, she is certainly very different than I when it comes to personal choices and I'm willing to look at Lewis Leathers, Thedi and Aero. I would like to think goat might be a very good choice if it's not too heavy.
In comparison, how much would a goat jacket weight compared to a similar cow or horse hide jacket please?

You're preaching to the choir Gypsymoth82. We are as different as chalk and cheese when it comes to such stuff. Think Burberry vs Orvis or Levis sigh...

Lucky you at least you know what she likes I just took her to get a rain coat and it was like trying to guess KFC's secret ingredients. X amount of length, y amount of weight, a, b, c, of this color, etc etc. all that for a simple travel rain coat lol.

Is there a female calculator that I could input some numbers and get an 99% guesstimate lol?
Women's Langlitz usually costs much less than men's in 2nd hand market. Goatskin weight also varies. I have a goatskin RM M442A and a FW goatskin tribute to Langlitz CR. Both are quite easy to wear. The FW is pretty light weight. I have never tried a Langlitz goatskin though.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/freewheelers-bootleggers-twin-peaks.85721/

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Hi Blackadder,

Thanks for the goat leather info.
Luckily Vanson sent me their measurement form and boy is it complex. The main issue is the style of the perfecto has a flap that when zipped up fully is folded inside the jacket which takes up some space.

The Schott I got for her is 17" p2p but when she wore it the gap between the zipper teeth is about 3" which is about 37" in total and that's just with a bra and thin cotton tee. I'm worried that even a 19" p2p won't be enough especially if the material is thicker and she has to wear a sweater. What size p2p should I aim for please?

red devil

It has been a few years, but I remember it being a few hundred over $1000. Worth asking directly.

The weight of the jacket is not as important as the pattern, and pliability of the leather itself.

The one I posted was made of pliable HH and worked perfectly.

I also know that Lewis worked well for @Carlos840 but not Aero.

You are better off with makers that have a proven track record with feminine fits.

Edit: speaking of pliable leather, deerskin would be my choice for her next jacket. As pliable if not more so than lamb yet much nicer in every aspect.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Hi red devil,

Thanks for the tips, I did read up on the threads that Marc and Carlos had about getting jackets for their partners. Although, I have only had one Aero, it didn't fit me well either.

The Langlitz I posted seems about right but I'm not certain it'll fit. I am tempted to go the Vanson route but none of their Ladies jackets look interesting to me.

I don't want to spend a lot for her first jacket in the event she doesn't like it or the fit isn't right etc etc.

The pliability of the leather is another factor I haven't considered so thanks for the heads up.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi red devil,

Thanks for the tips, I did read up on the threads that Marc and Carlos had about getting jackets for their partners. Although, I have only had one Aero, it didn't fit me well either.

The Langlitz I posted seems about right but I'm not certain it'll fit. I am tempted to go the Vanson route but none of their Ladies jackets look interesting to me.

I don't want to spend a lot for her first jacket in the event she doesn't like it or the fit isn't right etc etc.

The pliability of the leather is another factor I haven't considered so thanks for the heads up.

As RD said, my GF ordered a custom Aero and it really didn't work out.
Sam (who now works with Field Leathers")did a mockup that fit ok, but it didn't translate well into leather.
My GF finds that jacket so uncomfortable to wear she wore it less than ten times in a few years.

I actually kinda feel bad about it, because back then i convinced her to order that Aero, i was under the Aero spell myself. Fast forward a few years, i have also completly stopped wearing my Aeros as i also find them uncomfortable.
I should have lived with an Aero longer before recommending one to her, she wouldn't have spent all that money for nothing...

Her Lewis on the other hand is a perfect fit, she loves that jacket and wears it all the time.
Comfortable jackets are much easier to live with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points