Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Ladies Jacket

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think most women like leather jackets as a fashion statement or sweater replacement.
Mine has only one and that is a suede xzip (ok, she has since acquired a taste for shearling). My daughter has a fashion jacket made of suede. Many colleagues wear thin jackets made of lamb (?). I don't know a single one who wears such jackets as we do, except for motorcyclists.
If the jacket is not comfortable like a fabric jacket, then that will be a knockout criterion for most women.
My tip would be a Lewis Leathers from veg tanned sheep.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
I guess there are very few women who want a serious jacket sigh... at least I got her plenty of decent coats so I'm safe lol.

Batoidea

One of the Regulars
I think most women like leather jackets as a fashion statement or sweater replacement.
Mine has only one and that is a suede xzip (ok, she has since acquired a taste for shearling). My daughter has a fashion jacket made of suede. Many colleagues wear thin jackets made of lamb (?). I don't know a single one who wears such jackets as we do, except for motorcyclists.
If the jacket is not comfortable like a fabric jacket, then that will be a knockout criterion for most women.
My tip would be a Lewis Leathers from veg tanned sheep.
Most of us here like leather jackets as a fashion statement too, no? ;)

But yeah I agree that generally speaking most women would prefer their leathers to be something comfortable and not too heavy to wear, and have a lower tolerance for stiff/heavy leathers that require breaking in. Sheep, deer and goat (and kangaroo, if you can find it) would be the best options, in order of weakest to strongest (usually) lighter-weight leathers, if she's genuinely interested in an upgrade from standard lambskin mall jackets.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Goat seems a very interesting option and it's not too heavy or stiff. I would like her to have something that doesn't break apart in just a few years. I had one Zara syn jacket that literally started peeling after sitting in the wardrobe for 3 months, never again will I buy that junk.

A Langlitz in goat seems a great intro and they are not too expensive on the 2nd hand market.

Cheers guys,

Mawashi

MrProper

I had one Zara syn jacket that literally started peeling after sitting in the wardrobe for 3 months
If she likes this jacket and it fits the way she wants it to, then one option could be to send it to 5* for them to make an exact copy in leather.
I did this with my daughter's faux leather jacket and I got a 1:1 copy in super quality. She wears this jacket every chance she gets.

red devil

She used her leather jacket regularly enough, you just have to keep your expectations reasonable. They will never be as apssionate as we are.

I think your best bet is to find second hand Langlitz or Lewis.

Edit: I mean as your first step

Edward

Bartender
Aero?
Then you get to choose a thick(er) leather and get playful with colors. like this teal steerhide
View attachment 512640

Is that in the regular Aero line now? I really like that teal. Would totally wear. Can see it looking great in a Boardracer, possibly with white sleeves.... Or an Aeromarine...

Most of us here like leather jackets as a fashion statement too, no? ;)

But yeah I agree that generally speaking most women would prefer their leathers to be something comfortable and not too heavy to wear, and have a lower tolerance for stiff/heavy leathers that require breaking in. Sheep, deer and goat (and kangaroo, if you can find it) would be the best options, in order of weakest to strongest (usually) lighter-weight leathers, if she's genuinely interested in an upgrade from standard lambskin mall jackets.

Yeah. For all women get the "lol, women and fashion" type comments sometimes, I honestly think many of us are little different. Look at how various brands have been very in, then very out (to the point of it being fashionable to criticise heavily), or the way certain hides go in and out, and on and on...

Ladies don't seem to ever have gone for the macho thing of "as heavy as possible" in leather (or, indeed, denim). My wife runs hot, so would never wear a heavy leather (she barely ever wears a Winter coat no matter how cold it gets). I plan eventually to pick her up a jacket in goat, probably. Wouldn't dream of trying one where she hadn't been measured up and/or had the chance to try on a few first, though. The female form varies a lot more than the male, and can be much trickier to size as a result.

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
Is that in the regular Aero line now? I really like that teal. Would totally wear. Can see it looking great in a Boardracer, possibly with white sleeves.... Or an Aeromarine...
It was on the sales page so I think it was a one off.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,

I did some frying of the brain cells over the weekend and I tried to roast em over what my gf wears, how she chooses her stuff and how often she wears what... trust me, my 2 brain cells are burnt.

My simple analysis and thoughts.
I can wear the same jeans for a week, she won't wear anything more than 2 days.
Nothing too rugged, only her denim hot pants look frayed and that's by design.
No boots save for 1 pair that I got for her.
Style is everything, well almost everything.
Sometimes the outfit is slim sometimes baggy, conservative then loud... no consistency IMO.

When I told her my Brakeman jacket was based off a 1920s railroad worker coats, she queried "the leather is not yet spoiled and how come they still make them?"

Conclusion, she won't waste her time with one jacket and gawd forbid she has to wear it often enough just to make it comfortable. That leather jacket will be worn only when she feels the need to, maybe like her raincoat lol.

It's a bloody nightmare to get something for her lol!

red devil

the way certain hides go in and out, and on and on...

Especiallly this. I find it quite ironic how the idea is to go beyond brandsand focus on the product to just fall in the same pattern with tanneries....

Hey guys,

I did some frying of the brain cells over the weekend and I tried to roast em over what my gf wears, how she chooses her stuff and how often she wears what... trust me, my 2 brain cells are burnt.

My simple analysis and thoughts.
I can wear the same jeans for a week, she won't wear anything more than 2 days.
Nothing too rugged, only her denim hot pants look frayed and that's by design.
No boots save for 1 pair that I got for her.
Style is everything, well almost everything.
Sometimes the outfit is slim sometimes baggy, conservative then loud... no consistency IMO.

When I told her my Brakeman jacket was based off a 1920s railroad worker coats, she queried "the leather is not yet spoiled and how come they still make them?"

Conclusion, she won't waste her time with one jacket and gawd forbid she has to wear it often enough just to make it comfortable. That leather jacket will be worn only when she feels the need to, maybe like her raincoat lol.

It's a bloody nightmare to get something for her lol!

It is not that bad, if we think about it, it is quite normal for her to want more than one jacket... we all do.

You are overthinking it, no need to look for a pattern or any consistency, she probably needs an easy to wear jacket and a wild one.

You may want to look at East West jackets, the women's ones are much cheaper and as wild as you - she in fact - can handle.

red devil

This could sell her on the look

LLBP1.jpg

MrProper

Most of us here like leather jackets as a fashion statement too, no?
I'm not sure how to put it, but I mean something else.
I wouldn't say that most people here (myself included) conform to the current fashion trend.
Hello? I mix trail running shoes with slim fit tapered trousers , functional shirts and 1930 jackets lol
You only have to take a quick look at the styleforum and you'll find yourself in a different world (not meant in a judgmental way).
I would say of myself that my leather jackets are not necessarily a fashion statement. I don't want to signal anything in particular with them either. They are simply durable, still look good after years and are getting better all the time. Even though a good leather jacket is not a bargain, the price-performance ratio is better than with almost anything else.
The lamb nappa xzip jacket, which is replaced every year and is supposed to convey a touch of rock'n'roll, is certainly something else.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
As RD said, my GF ordered a custom Aero and it really didn't work out.
Sam (who now works with Field Leathers")did a mockup that fit ok, but it didn't translate well into leather.
My GF finds that jacket so uncomfortable to wear she wore it less than ten times in a few years.

I actually kinda feel bad about it, because back then i convinced her to order that Aero, i was under the Aero spell myself. Fast forward a few years, i have also completly stopped wearing my Aeros as i also find them uncomfortable.
I should have lived with an Aero longer before recommending one to her, she wouldn't have spent all that money for nothing...

Her Lewis on the other hand is a perfect fit, she loves that jacket and wears it all the time.
Comfortable jackets are much easier to live with.

Carlos,

I hear ya, I'll always remember the neck aches my first Aero gave me. Never again when there are so many other options.

Lewis is a bit harder to find on eBay but a Langlitz goat might be a good starting point.

Especiallly this. I find it quite ironic how the idea is to go beyond brandsand focus on the product to just fall in the same pattern with tanneries....

It is not that bad, if we think about it, it is quite normal for her to want more than one jacket... we all do.

You are overthinking it, no need to look for a pattern or any consistency, she probably needs an easy to wear jacket and a wild one.

You may want to look at East West jackets, the women's ones are much cheaper and as wild as you - she in fact - can handle.

Red Devil,

I think for her first serious jacket she would prefer to stick to something she knows she can pull off. So far other than black only tan and reddish seem to get her attention.

Her attention span is limited to 10s for a leather jacket so it's not that easy to find what she likes lol.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
This could sell her on the look

LLBP1.jpg

In her case think Burberry and Max Mara less biker chick. I would want her to give it a try cos it would be very Vroom Vroom to me lol.

I'm not sure how to put it, but I mean something else.
I wouldn't say that most people here (myself included) conform to the current fashion trend.
Hello? I mix trail running shoes with slim fit tapered trousers , functional shirts and 1930 jackets lol
You only have to take a quick look at the styleforum and you'll find yourself in a different world (not meant in a judgmental way).
I would say of myself that my leather jackets are not necessarily a fashion statement. I don't want to signal anything in particular with them either. They are simply durable, still look good after years and are getting better all the time. Even though a good leather jacket is not a bargain, the price-performance ratio is better than with almost anything else.
The lamb nappa xzip jacket, which is replaced every year and is supposed to convey a touch of rock'n'roll, is certainly something else.

To me and most of the guys here I guess a good leather jacket is an extension of yourself something durable, unique and actually is a statement about yourself. Most women may not think that way cos they want something that suits different occasions, different moods etc etc.

I could wear the same outfit for a week and not think twice, Einstein wore his only leather Levis jacket for decades, Steve Jobs has just 1 look, something akin to Gru from Minions lol.

In short I want a totally reliable jacket, she'll want a jacket that feels right for the moment.

lf or would you like her to want a leather jacket?

The good news is she wants a leather jacket, she was lamenting about a leather jacket she bought in Oz but it died a few years ago. She did ask about my jacket and I told her why I wanted something that will lasts and lasts so she thought about and said ok she'll want to try her first serious leather jacket.
Of course I want her to have a jacket that is fashionable yet doesn't fall apart every other year and needs to be replaced with something similar, it'll save me money in the long run I hope lol.

I'm moving her away from disposable fashion into things that really hold their own for years to come. I replaced some of her coats with Max Mara camel coats and teddies, natural fiber materials not synthetics etc.

Well, she likes the Perfecto, now I have to get one that fits her and hopefully is in a decent leather like goat that'll last,

Last edited:

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
I'm happy to buy something that looks vintage, she on the other hand I'll have to find out. So far whenever she sees that the leather has creases etc she wrinkles her nose lol.

I saw a beautiful Langitz Feather but she wasn't impressed by it...:rolleyes:

We have very different tastes indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21