Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help with Avirex G-1

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I've read some older threads on Avirex so I understand a little about the company and their jackets. I still have a question, though.

I recently picked up the below jacket. I estimate it's an early Avirex and is very good quality. It has nice redish buttons and decently thick leather as well as a one piece back.

However, the tag says "Bureau of Aeronautics" on it. Since this did not exist after 1959, no Avirex (post 1975) jacket was ever made for this bureau.

So, then, why does this Avirex jacket have "Bureau of Aeronautics" on the tag when it didn't exist when the jacket was made? Sort of an historical thing? Is this some kind of a special jacket?

001-32.jpg

002-28.jpg

003-25.jpg

004-21.jpg

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
The BuAero reference is just used to give the label/jacket an air of authenticity. Avirex were not one of the original contractors so their jacket is a lookalike G-1.

They do a similar thing with their A-2s – a composite lookalike label but again not historically accurate

From your pics it looks well made – the earlier Avirex where much better made than the later Korean made.

Enjoy your jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters