Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with finger waves

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Thanks Red!
If I win the lotto can I pay you to fly over and do it for me?
Ha hahahaha!
K;)

Ha ha ha! heck yah!!:D of course by then, You'll be so good at them, I'll have to have you do mine! ;)

Fleur de vanité

New in Town
Ok,my hair is about 3 inches past my shoulders,I tried to fingerwave it last night,and I got my first wave done right at my roots. But I can't seem to get the hang of doing the rest of my hair.

I'm not really trying to do fingerwaves I'm just trying to wave my hair.

My hair is naturally a good looking wave,but about a year ago I got an itch to curl my hair and decided to perm it (Bad idea) now when I shampoo and condition my hair and I don't blow dry it right after or apply any styling product to hold my curls such as gel or mousse my hair becomes a frizzy mess. I would like to create big waves such as Sherilyn Fenn's in "Boxing Helena" (if anyone seen that movie) I know I could create it by covering my hair lightly with gel or mouse and push my hair against the comb similar to fingerwaves and blow dry it while I'm shaping it with my fingers and comb,but similar to the fingerwaves I'm having a terrible time with doing the length of my hair.

Any help?

texasgirl

One Too Many
wave clips

So I practiced the other night with the Mervin wave clips. Does anyone else have any tips on using these? They did alright, but the wave was a bit more subtle than I thought it would be after seeing others who have used these in the "show us..." thread. My hair is very straight so that may be why, and I have a lot of layers. Maybe I should try to form a wave, then put the clips in? I don't know? So anyway, here are some pictures-please excuse the no makeup! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! The show is on Saturday!

Here's what my hair looks like before
IMG_2410.jpg

Here are the Mervin clips. I have 6 of them. I placed them all going the same way- when I did back and forth it looked like it was making a weird wave.
IMG_2413-1.jpg

Then I just put foam rollers around to curl the rest.
IMG_2415.jpg

So here's the end result. I don't want it to be perfect, hollywood hair- I am supposed to be on the run from the law after all, and it was the great depression :) But any ideas?
IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I know exactly what you mean, as I've had the same thing happen with mine. The thing I found that works the best (for me) was I had to make sure the teeth were totally all the way to the scalp, so that it would grab all the hair.

I think it came out great though!:)

Maybe Epr25 and Ohairas have some ideas.. their hair came out fabulous with these!

Madalene Laurae

New in Town
YIKES!

Wow, it really wanted to try finger waves because I absolutely love the way they look but I think it would be nearly impossible for me to do myself. Besides that the instructions are confusing to me, (WTF is a c shape and how do you do it?) my hair is past the middle of my back and I have bad shoulder joints. Anyway I could fake it with a curling iron, rollers,etc? My hair is pretty thick as well.

leaette

A-List Customer
texas girl: first off, those clips are great. i need a set!
did you try a firmer hold setting lotion or gel? that will make or break a good set. and i also suggest making sure the gripper teeth are down to your scalp. also, your layers might be working against you.

but, as with anything, practice practice practice. you'll get it. keep trying.

texasgirl

One Too Many
The actual day of the show, the waves came out really good. However, in all the excitement , I didn't get a good close-up :( But it did help using stronger get and I pushed the teeth down to my scalp too and it helped :)

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Fingerwaving Tecnique...

First of all, I can't believe I misspelled technique! Can somebody change that?

To get to the point: I haven't found a good fingerwaving thread going since 2006 so i thought I'd start a new one.

Of all the styles that plague me, this is the one that I'm most anxious to get right! I have done the 'soft fingerwave',typical on Veronica Lake etc, using those 'seperator clips' you get at Mart-Eisley (heh heh...Wal Mart...). It turned out well but, as you know, that's not a true fingerwave as it was done in the 20's and 30's. My problem is not getting the waves to shape, using my fingers, but to get them to hold during the drying process! I want them to be perfect, like Renee Zelwegger's in 'Chicago'! Those were gorgeous! So I have this VERY old 1940's hairstyling book and it promotes the using of setting comps...little narrow combs placed into the waves to hold their shape.

I can't find them ANYWHERE! I know they still make them because I saw a stylist using them on America's Next top Model, of all places. :D

If I do find them, are they worth using for fingerwaves? And does anybody have suggestions and photos to share?

Thanks in advance,
Ashley

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LisaFreemontSt said:
First of all, I can't believe I misspelled technique! Can somebody change that?

To get to the point: I haven't found a good fingerwaving thread going since 2006 so i thought I'd start a new one.

Of all the styles that plague me, this is the one that I'm most anxious to get right! I have done the 'soft fingerwave',typical on Veronica Lake etc, using those 'seperator clips' you get at Mart-Eisley (heh heh...Wal Mart...). It turned out well but, as you know, that's not a true fingerwave as it was done in the 20's and 30's. My problem is not getting the waves to shape, using my fingers, but to get them to hold during the drying process! I want them to be perfect, like Renee Zelwegger's in 'Chicago'! Those were gorgeous! So I have this VERY old 1940's hairstyling book and it promotes the using of setting comps...little narrow combs placed into the waves to hold their shape.

I can't find them ANYWHERE! I know they still make them because I saw a stylist using them on America's Next top Model, of all places. :D

If I do find them, are they worth using for fingerwaves? And does anybody have suggestions and photos to share?

Thanks in advance,
Ashley

Just so you know.....the bartenders will probably move this to the -main- thread .....so that the info on fingerwaving all stays in one thread and place.

Makes it easier for new folks to find info in one 'central, big thread' on a topic.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LisaFreemontSt said:
Yes, I saw those. I wasnt sure if they'd be reactivated since they're so old. But that's fine. Thanks!:)

Post to them and they come to the top of the list....

That's what helps keep info in one big useful thread..instead of getting 35 threads that each have 4 replies. :)

SayCici

Practically Family
TexasGirl, I can't see any of your photos :(

I've given fingerwaves a few practice attempts but one of these days I'll actually try to cover my whole head and use setting lotion. It should be easy.. my hair is short so there's not a lot of ground to cover. :) Did women always use wave clamps? It seems like they give you little stegosaurus bumps, do you just come those out so they are less severe?

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
SayCici said:
TexasGirl, I can't see any of your photos :(

I've given fingerwaves a few practice attempts but one of these days I'll actually try to cover my whole head and use setting lotion. It should be easy.. my hair is short so there's not a lot of ground to cover. :) Did women always use wave clamps? It seems like they give you little stegosaurus bumps, do you just come those out so they are less severe?

This is a ressurected old thread so those photos might not be online anymore.

THey didnt always use wave clamps...as a matter of fact, the vintage book I have states that clamps and setting combs are 'cheating'. heh heh. It shows diagrams of the waving technique using wet hair and setting lotions only...

Anyway, I started a fingerwaving thread yesterday and I was waiting for the moderators to combine them but here is what I posted yesterday..I would appreciate any and all feedback! :D

"Of all the styles that plague me, this is the one that I'm most anxious to get right! I have done the 'soft fingerwave',typical on Veronica Lake etc, using those 'seperator clips' you get at Mart-Eisley (heh heh...Wal Mart...). It turned out well but, as you know, that's not a true fingerwave as it was done in the 20's and 30's. My problem is not getting the waves to shape, using my fingers, but to get them to hold during the drying process! I want them to be perfect, like Renee Zelwegger's in 'Chicago'! Those were gorgeous! So I have this VERY old 1940's hairstyling book and it discusses the using of setting combs...little narrow combs placed into the waves to hold their shape.

I can't find them ANYWHERE! I know they still make them because I saw a stylist using them on America's Next top Model, of all places.

If I do find them, are they worth using for fingerwaves? And does anybody have suggestions and photos to share?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran