Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with finger waves

SayCici

Practically Family
Do you ladies sleep in your finger wave contraptions or just do them in the morning? Right now I just have those long, 'duckbill' clips to hold the set in place, and I have no idea how I'd sleep on those things (or those big wave clamps)!

texasgirl

One Too Many
On the metal clamps that I have, I fix it up and sit under the dryer for about 30 minutes. Then I take the clamps out and use alligator clips to hold in place to sleep. Yeah, those would not be good to sleep in!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Cricket said:
I had a few of these once when I was younger. Every time I tried to do something with them, my hair caught tangled up. Needless to say, I was an unlucky and accident-prone individual. The scissors had to come out a few times. lol

Ditto. I can't use metal hair combs of any sort. My fine, straight hair would always tangle dreadfully. I get the plastic faux-tortoise shell ones now.

Aorta

Familiar Face
ThesFlishThngs said:
hair41.jpg

I got these a couple years ago at a local antique sale. The box and instructions are charming, but I couldn't really manage to make them work in my hair - either too layered, or too thick, or the rubber is too heavy to stay in place, or - most likely - I'm just too inept with these devices.

If you still have them, I'd definitely be interested! Maybe you can send me a private message.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
SayCici said:
Do you ladies sleep in your finger wave contraptions or just do them in the morning? Right now I just have those long, 'duckbill' clips to hold the set in place, and I have no idea how I'd sleep on those things (or those big wave clamps)!

Yeah...I sleep with them in, I'm not too good with finger waves on myself, So I have my mum do them for me(Which in the morning, She's always in a rush to get to work, So at night is a lot more convenient for her.)..

I tried sleeping in the Wave clips once...Whoo, Not a good idea. I ended up taking them out halfway threw the night...with Air matresses, They weren't too bad to sleep in. The long slim duckbill clips is what I put in my hair when I go to bed with Finger waves, Just to hold them in place..Those aren't too bad, personally, to sleep in.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Once upon a time, maybe here somewhere or somewhere else, I don't know, But somewhere I once saw wave clamps that did not have the clippy/handle part. They snapped into your hair and laid flat against your head.

I'd kill to get my hands on some of those!

PS

A-List Customer
SayCiCi,
Have you tried doing finger waves with the really long bobbi pins? When I had super short hair similar to yours, that Is what I used. One tub of cheap hair gel, saturate and set with the long pins. I had some that were at least three inches long and the bottom side was curved instead of flat so they where easier to wear and sleep in.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
I got some of the metal wave clips from Sally's and have to make a point to try them this weekend if I can.

Consensus for fine hair----should I use Lottabody or a gel?

Thanks for any help or tips!

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
vampygirl13 said:
I got some of the metal wave clips from Sally's and have to make a point to try them this weekend if I can.

Consensus for fine hair----should I use Lottabody or a gel?

Thanks for any help or tips!

Gel is what most beauticians use and what they teach you to use in cosmetology school...but I'd use the flexible hold variety because you'll need to brush through them when they're dry. :)

Hey, has anyone used the pincurl waving technique that Lauren uses in her book? I am almost certain that is what Renee Zelwegger had in her hair for the movie, Chicago. I really prefer that type of wave to the finger wave.

Vanessa

One Too Many
LisaFreemontSt said:
Hey, has anyone used the pincurl waving technique that Lauren uses in her book? I am almost certain that is what Renee Zelwegger had in her hair for the movie, Chicago. I really prefer that type of wave to the finger wave.

I haven't been able to get a good fingerwave on my own hair yet, so I always use the pincurl wave for a slightly fluffier look. Plus, the super crunchy hair doesn't really appeal to me that much.

cecil

A-List Customer
LisaFreemontSt said:
Gel is what most beauticians use and what they teach you to use in cosmetology school...but I'd use the flexible hold variety because you'll need to brush through them when they're dry. :)

I have but the waves came out really big and loose. If I tried it again i'd make the pincurls smaller. My hair is long and thick though so maybe that's why they didn't come out awesome.

zombi

A-List Customer
LisaFreemontSt said:
A hair dresser friend once told me to try and find something called "dippity do" (or somesuch) for fingerwaving, she said that's what she'd used in school.

My hair is thin & fine, and I've only once had it fingerwaved (by a hair dresser, because my attempts failed!) -- I couldn't find dippity do anywhere, so I had to settle for a cheap something similar -- so we used something that came in a tub of bright blue gel! It worked fine, it held the waves & it didn't flake weird or anything when we brushed 'em out. It just took forever and a day to dry.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Finger waving and setting

Hello!

I'm new here, some of you might know me from the Ministry of Burlesque website - it's Cherry Berlin (and Fraeulein is just a very old-fashioned way of saying 'Miss' in German). So hi!

I am going to start learning to finger wave. Most of my clothes are a forties-fifties kind of style, but I have some lovely '20s kind of things, and I'm going to a big fancy Ball soon and in the process of trying to procure a dress... so I've been watching finger waves tutorials and reading up like a mad woman, and I'm going to start practising soon so that my hair looks great for the May Ball!

SO: any tips, hints or tricks would be appreciated (not sure how to get the waves into a proper pattern or anything), but I particularly wanted to know what sort of gel/setting lotion I could use? I'm a poor student and have thick curly hair, in layers to about my chin.

Thank you very much!

Cherry Berlin
xxx

swinggal

One Too Many
Finger-waving is the hardest of all hair styles to acheive I recon. I've been doing my hair in vintage styles for 11 years and have only just mastered the wave thanks to my 'water wavers'. Never had a clue how to use them after 8 years of owning them, then i found an article somewhere that showed me and the results are below - soft, full waves.

31512_394004871575_717536575_4647564_3625710_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy