Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here is my first conversion attempt

ideaguy

One Too Many
Very nice indeed!! I've done a couple-right up to the point of cutting the brim
and just couldn't do it...now I'll get out the bookbinders tools and get to work.

If anyone is interested, I have a bunch of Westerns, 7 3/8's and 7 1/2's, either NIB, very slightly used & super clean, and some Vintage pieces, all in
lighter colors, some cream/ivory...PM me and I'll get photos together to email out.

I still think that hat came out pretty darn good for a first attempt-:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
Bassman said:
Great job!
What do you trim the brim edge with? Just a scissor?
And what do you use for a guide?
-Guy

I contemplated using an exacto knife but didn't have a good clean surface to use, so I ended up using some sharp scissors.

For a guide, I cut a thin piece of scrap wood to length and super glued an old golf pencil to the end. Then I ran the guide around the crown...quick and easy disposable guide. After marking the hat, I used a measure to check the marks and make sure it was even all around.

Halpap - I wish I had taken pictures of the process. I'll have to do that next time.

Bassman

A-List Customer
If I can't sell the Cattleman I have up in the classified section, I might just have to mosey on over to the Conversion Corral.
It'll be a shame to lose the bound edge on it though.
It might just end up being a shame period.[huh]

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
The hat is fabulous! Love the colors of the ribbon, and how it was done. :eusa_clap
Now, may we see it on?
Nikki

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
That is a very nice conversion. Actually one of the best I've seen posted.

I definitely want to second that!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Last winter, I thought I was the only guy in the country making fedoras out of old cowboy hats. Then I discovered the Fedora Lounge, and a bunch of really nice guys doing the same thing. It makes for a great winter diversion, and I look forward to seeing many more examples of Loungers' conversions.

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
Thanks all for the kind comments.

Here is the finished product...unless I start tweaking agin :rolleyes:

Pinched the front a bit more along with other minor changes. The light green ribbon has been tacked down. haven't done the small dark green bow yet. Not sure if I'm going to.

Here it is on

outside5.jpg

flylot74

One of the Regulars
You realize when I'm in town I will be on the lookout for that hat. You gotta go to Sullivan's some night with that on your head...... you will certainly turn some heads!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes