Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey Art!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Hey Art your pm box is full so I can't get a message to you about my Empire State hat. I really want this hat put back together so pm me back on what you'll charge me to reinstall the sweatband. Include the return shipping charge and I'll put the m.o. in the box with the hat. Oh and give me your shipping address too. Art, I thought I would add this, while you have the hat, could you also reblock it as well. Since the sweatband is already out it would make sense to straighted the crown out. It has a slight taper, not bad but I like mine straight all the way around. Give me the grand total for all services.

For the rest of you hat lovers, I just bought a black fedora in the "Empire State Hats" brand, Art figures it's from the late 20s to early 30s. the liner has a picture of the Empire State building on it, very deco looking. It has a 5 1/2 crown and 2 5/8ths brim. Has a bound edge and looks like it could be a black Stetson Whippet. Felt is perfect and so was the sweatband except this is the kind that had the sweatband put in with a top whip stitch. The thread doesn't go all the way through the felt and probably from age the threads broke when I peaked under it. I noticed that I have a borsalino that's put in this way as well. Doesn't seem like a very strong way to put it in but I'm sure there was a reason for doing this. Anybody know?

fedoralover

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Fedoralover. Sorry about the full PM box. I'm still a bit technology challenged when it comes to the Lounge. I am still in Medford but will return tonight so I will email with your request.
In answer to your question in the post, it is simply a cleaner way to install the leather. The machine that this method requires holds 2 spools of thread. One for the actual stitch, the second to run a "cord" under the stitches for strength. By doing it this way you eliminate the "lip" of the built in leathers that combine both needs in the leather itself. Many of the older hats and some of the finest hats of today use this method but it really only the finest, most expensive as it it time consuming as all getout. As I told you in my PM the other day, I actually have this sewing machine but have yet to master it. Let's just say, for now it's winning the battle but the war isn't over.))

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Any chance?

Hey Fedoralover: Any chance you'd be able to post a pic when the rebuild is done? Sounds like a really nice acquisition....

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info Art, it's nice to know that it was a quality lid to begin with. I'll take some pics when it's all done and maybe someone else can post them for me. I can scan them into my computer and send them via e-mail, but I too am techno challenged so I'm not sure how to do it myself. I am glad to get this hat, as I mentioned before the vintage black ones with this size crown height and brim width are fairly rare when compared to the number of brown and gray ones that come up.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner