Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Waisted Pants & Jeans!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
3534838875_e6dc2247ab.jpg

janetblairhat2.jpg
Love both of these looks! Cute!!

I had a pair of these made for my from Jitterbuggin on Etsy. Kim is so sweet. I sent her my specs and she totally worked with me on what I wanted (shortened the crotch and made them custom to my measurements). They fit like a dream. Sometimes it's great to have someone else make something for you! :D I highly recommend her- they are made extremely well and she's a very professional seller!
jitterbuggin.jpg

Smuterella

One Too Many
Kate O Potato said:
Nice jeans!
I have just ordered a pair of button side jeans from Freddie's of Pinewood, although I'm in-between sizes so I've had to take a guess at which will be the best fit... I'm on a diet until they arrive!

Did they arrive yet?

I ordered mine yesterday after realising my old 50's style ones just never really fit properly.

Lady Pearl

New in Town
Daisy Buchanan said:
I recently got the Spiegel catalog and they have a couple of pairs of very cute high waisted pants. Even better, and I saw these from another store but I can't remember which one now, they have built in tummy and tooshy control. So, no need for Spanx, yippeee. They actually are cute, although they are a pull on pant, and I wish they had the cute double row of buttons at the front or buttons up the side to make them look a bit vintage.
S0738039_8107_020.jpg

The catalog for spring actually had a few very lovely items. Some kind of vintagey, others not at all, yet it seems that pant waists are getting higher and according to Spiegel and a few other fashion mags lovely flowy feminine dresses are hot this season. I don't dress vintage everyday, especially in the summer, it's just too darn hot. But, I try to find clothes that are classically styled. I have a lovely white linen suit that I got a couple of years ago from JCrew with high waisted pants and a peplum jacket that I pair with a red or blue blouse and red and blue accessories. Too bad it's a really tiny size, and I don't think I can even get my foot into the pants at this time!:( But, my point is, it seems that vintage looking items are in for this season, so for those of you who don't dress vintage everyday but like a classically tailored look, you might just find some really lovely items at places like Spiegel and Newport News.

YOU ARE AN ANGEL!!!!!!!!
I decided to search through the thread for ginger rogers type trousers http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YGN3Oh5V2...zGAaroGM/s400/Rogers,+Ginger+(Roberta)_01.jpg
I had a feeling I wouldn't find the type of look I was going for and here is your post!!!! Even the blouse in your picture was what i was looking for. Not from the US but sure wouldn't mind them being shipped!

THANK YOU!!! :)

(I am overly excited, I do apologise lol )

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Pearl said:
Y
I had a feeling I wouldn't find the type of look I was going for and here is your post!!!! Even the blouse in your picture was what i was looking for. Not from the US but sure wouldn't mind them being shipped!

This is a pretty old post though - are these items still available?

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Smuterella said:
Did they arrive yet?

I ordered mine yesterday after realising my old 50's style ones just never really fit properly.

Yes, they took just under a week. Although they're a bit of a squeeze, so I've only worn them once. I need to start jogging again...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Pearl said:

Thanks for the link! They're not the same ones, but it's nice to see something similar. I love the ones in Daisy's post - the wider leg and pleats in these newer ones don't do a whole lot for me. If you get these, please let us know how you like them! I'm always wary of something like poly/rayon/spandex stretch lol

spiff

New in Town
I made a pair from an Evadress pattern in a lightweight denim. They were terribly easy to make (I've only been sewing for six months) and I love them to death. My favorite thing about high waisted pants is that I can now wear all those tops in my closet that were too short or just looked plain tacky pulled over the waistband of my modern jeans. My muffins thank me.

Funny...waistbands aren't really waistbands anymore are they? Hipbands?

trousers+side+buttons.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Remember back when I had a problem with my Freddie's red blue jeans and they gave me a $20 credit? Well they ended up give me a 20 *pound* credit! My new Freddie's classics (relaxed) got here today and they're fantastic. I love the extra dark, super crisp denim. As is usual the, waist to hip ratio is off and they're a bit too big in the waist, but nothing a belt can't fix.

I also got the Rebecca top in light pink on sale, and they're not joking - the top and jeans are made for each other!

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
I'm looking at getting the classics & they have a size with my exact waist & hip measurements,36 44,should i get those or the next size up?
Thanks in advance for your help:)
eta-the next size available at the moment is 38 waist 46 hips

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mrs Cleaver said:
I'm looking at getting the classics & they have a size with my exact waist & hip measurements,36 44,should i get those or the next size up?

That's a hard call. My exact measurements right now are 27.5-37.5. The supposed measurements of the size 28s I got are 28-38, and they have a bit of a gap at the waist and are snug through the hip but without being uncomfortable. Those jeans will probably work for you, though it depends on how you like yours to fit. I happen to like things to be snug through my hips, but if you like things a bit more relaxed, maybe go the size up and have the waist tailored to fit.

Vaihingen

New in Town
Last month I drafted a pattern off of a few photos I found on a google image search. I'm happy with the shape, but what's a period correct closure? I'm looking for a 40's style, and I saw that some of these photos have pants with button on the side. Was that the most popular style?

I dunno, it's time I re-did the ones I have now anyways since my hips are down an inch and I'm sitting here holding them up with a baby diaper pin :eek: :D

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Hey Kitty,thanks for the reply:) Usually i do tend to wear my jeans fairly fitted but with the high waist &my chubby hips & tum i was worried that i would look dumpy & frumpy but i suppose a girdle would fix that?
I did consider the option of getting the waist taken in it's just extra money thats all hmm i will have to think on it some more,thanks for your help:)
If there are any other ladies with bigger waists & hips like mine that have a pair of freddies classics i would be most appreciative of your input,thankyou:)

Vaihingen

New in Town
I don't have freddies classics, but here's my two cents?
My own hips are 12 inches wider than my waist, and I find that wearing high waisted pants exaggerates that. I love it, but if you want to minimize that effect than maybe you could have the pants in a dark color, or have both the top and pants in a similar color to minimize the contrast?

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I've recently been having a great deal of luck with BCBG Max Azria high-waisted pants. Suck in and feel that band up around the *natural* waist! I've found the legs to be wonderfully wide and, since I'm tall, wonderfully and equally long.

They're expensive but I've been finding them in outlet stores and in thrift stores and they're high-quality pants. Some that I have found have the traditional sailor flap and others have a tie-waist or a variation on the design, but they're all completely beautiful and flattering. I'll see if I can scrounge up some photos.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
Mrs Cleaver said:
Thanks in advance for your help:)
eta-the next size available at the moment is 38 waist 46 hips

Just be careful, the size on the Freddies site is the actual garment measurement, not your body measurement. If you order the jeans that match your measurements exactly, there will be zero wearing ease. I made this mistake and had to exchange mine and a friend just did the same thing.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
kymeratale said:
Just be careful, the size on the Freddies site is the actual garment measurement, not your body measurement. If you order the jeans that match your measurements exactly, there will be zero wearing ease. I made this mistake and had to exchange mine and a friend just did the same thing.

As I said earlier, the supposed measurements on my 2 pairs are 28-38 and my actual measurements are 27.5-37.5. I actually have much more than .5" ease in the waist (enough that I want to have the waist tailored, in fact) and I find the ease in the hips to be fine. I personally don't think it's too big of an issue, and I also feel that, despite the measurements given on the website, they tend to actually run a tad larger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred