Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman fit

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Seems to me that Ken Calder cleared that up years ago on another forum about Sam Walker. I remember him saying SW once sold Aero jackets labeled as 'Aero' jackets for Aero..until SW decided to have copies made to look like Aeros selling for less. Then the Aero SW relationship ended. So I have never understood the ongoing controversy that seems to be never ending.
HD

I think it's because there hasn't been a definitive method yet public of telling an Aero produced Sam Walker from a non Aero Sam Walker. If you had a fool proof method of distinguishing them you could hoover up many Aero jackets very cheaply indeed. One major difference I noticed having handled both is that on my Aero the stitching on the back of the neck right underneath the collar goes all the way across while on the Sam Walker it had a single line that was 'floating', rather than travelling the entire length of the seam.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well that answers that question. You buy a used jacket where the previous owner wore out TWO linings in the blasted thing and it still stands on it own. Well my next jacket will be something different.... mebbe... perhaps... could be. Fighting it out between a A1 or a Thunderbay.

Worf

I think it's because there hasn't been a definitive method yet public of telling an Aero produced Sam Walker from a non Aero Sam Walker. If you had a fool proof method of distinguishing them you could hoover up many Aero jackets very cheaply indeed. One major difference I noticed having handled both is that on my Aero the stitching on the back of the neck right underneath the collar goes all the way across while on the Sam Walker it had a single line that was 'floating', rather than travelling the entire length of the seam.

..But you see..Caulder stated that Aero never made an Aero jacket with a Sam Walker label. SW sold Aero label Aeros in their shop at the beginning..until they (Sam Walker) decided to have the Aero designs copied and labeled with the Sam Walker label. That's where the confusion seems to come in..but it was SW that for awhile had copies made of Aeros jackets.
HD

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Here's what Holly wrote as a reply to Rocketeer back last year:

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeer :"So as suspected Sam Walker liked Aero's products so much they stopped selling Aero clothing, directly copied their[Aero's] designs, made them slightly inferior(YKK zips, poorer quality hides) and stuck a label inside telling the world Sam Walker made "The Best Leather Jackets In The World"
So now you know when you see an eBay or similar auction stating "Made for Sam Walker by Aero" someone is telling fibs."

HollY: "You're right, Aero NEVER put Sam Walker labels in the jackets we sold to them. Any jacket bearing a Sam Walker label was NOT made by Aero, this is 100% fact.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Last thing that might help Seb; my 38 had 18.5ish shoulders. If you need the 19-19.5, a 40's probably best. But absolutely express your concerns to Thurston.
On a side note, I think the newer Aeros are cut bigger. I could be wrong.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Thanks for the info guys, the way I understood it though, was there was a possibility that SW relabelled Aero produced jackets. Conjecture of course and as I write this i realize it is unlikely. In the crazy, treachourous world of quality leather though.... You never know!

Thanks for the info guys, the way I understood it though, was there was a possibility that SW relabelled Aero produced jackets. Conjecture of course and as I write this i realize it is unlikely. In the crazy, treachourous world of quality leather though.... You never know!

That sounds like a scenario that certainly Ken Calder would have never stood for. Instant law suit...IMO.
HD

Edward

Bartender

I was sure I read something to this effect, but it was more speculation as to why some of the earlier Sam Walker labelled jackets might have been better than they became. Rumour in the past has alleged that Aero pulled the contract over this, but you know how rumours can spread so easily.

Stranger things have happened.

6a00d8341bf89d53ef01156fc7dd2f970c-pi.jpg

Here we go again. [huh]
I would of thought Aero pulled their contract with SW as an Aero outlet because Walker started making their own copies of Aero jackets. Seems that would of been quite enough cause to end the relationship. :p
HD

Edward

Bartender
Here we go again. [huh]
I would of thought Aero pulled their contract with SW as an Aero outlet because Walker started making their own copies of Aero jackets. Seems that would of been quite enough cause to end the relationship. :p
HD

Absolutely. I think where I read the story about relabelled jackets was an interview with Ken in which he confirmed Aero had never made jackets with a Sam Walker label on them, but specualted that maybe some got relabelled at some point. Copying Aero's stuff to try and undercut them, though, would be a very fair reason for Aero to decide no longer to supply a retail outlet. You can imagine how it could hurt their reputation if someone was selling SW jackets or whatever and saying "oh, yeah - those are the Aeros over there but we have these, they're the same thing to all intents and purposes, just a diferent label that Aero put on them for us..." That sort of thing could really damage the Aero brand if people believed it, but it couldn't be pulledi f Aero said "no, we don't supply that company".

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Okay folks, we've done the Sam Walker detour, let's get back on topic. Sounds like fit on these things is subjective. Insurrection say buy three sizes smaller than your suit size, others say buy your suit size. The answer is clearly get the measurements from the maker and pick accordingly since suit sizes are an inexact science. Thanks all for the input.

... Insurrection say buy three sizes smaller than your suit size, others say buy your suit size...

I have a 44 Aero Steerhide Highwayman. I wear a 44 suit & also have a 44 Magnoli Open Road & a 44 AL Dirt Rider.
I also have a 42 Aero FQHH 50s Half Belt. I can see going to a 42 in the HWM but not 40 & no way 38 (that's 3 sizes, right?).
One of my best fitting jackets is a US Wings that is a Large.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a 44 Aero Steerhide Highwayman. I wear a 44 suit & also have a 44 Magnoli Open Road & a 44 AL Dirt Rider.
I also have a 42 Aero FQHH 50s Half Belt. I can see going to a 42 in the HWM but not 40 & no way 38 (that's 3 sizes, right?).
One of my best fitting jackets is a US Wings that is a Large.

I know.... but Wade wears a 38 and he's almost 6ft 2 and 190 pounds. It's hard to imagine.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I know.... but Wade wears a 38 and he's almost 6ft 2 and 190 pounds. It's hard to imagine.

Yet that fit pic in the Insurrection thread didn't look bad at all....

Sorry for the SW detour by the way, it's just the only point of comparison I haved to other HWM type jackets.

Edward

Bartender

Weight is a red herring... heavier doesn't always mean bigger. I used to know a girl who dd a lot of karate; at one time she gained two stone and yet still went down a dress size. Muscle tissue is denser and heavier than fat.

Insurrection sell a lot of their stock for bikers who want a vety tight fit and don't wear much underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred