Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman side belts

Ennie

New in Town
Hi, I like my new Aero horsehide Highwayman very, very much. But one point I don´t like: the side belts get loose or opens during wearing the jacket. Do you have the same problem? What can I do?

5364885.jpg

5364887.jpg

Greetings Ennie

Flyingtom

New in Town
<du kannst das Ende der Lasche nochmals zurück ziehen und nochmals durchführen zur Hälfte das es fester sitzt...Hoffe Du weisst was ich meine ....

andy richards

Practically Family
Hallo Ennie,

Was du vieleicht machen könnte...
Better in English...
There are two options, in my opnion, to solve your problem:
1. put the side straps to the buckle and make a loop and put the strap into the buckle again. This would do the trick I guess.
2. send the jacket back, explain the problem and possibly ask for an additional side strap on each side.
If fellow FL members have more options to help Ennie out, please post.

Andy

Peacoat

Bartender
This question came up a few years ago. I think I posted pictures of my buckle properly buckled, or at least someone did. Andy has told you correctly. The purpose of the roller is to make it easier to slip the strap through the buckle the second time. When properly done, there will be two thicknesses of strap through and under the back part of the buckle where the roller is. Someone, may have been Hoosier Daddy, had his roller toward the front of the jacket.

The strap should go under both ends of the buckle, double back over the front part and back and under the rear part of the buckle. The loose end of the strap will then be pointing toward the rear of the jacket.

I can't tell exactly what you have done, but it doesn't look the way mine looks. If it stays tight, though, I guess it is OK.

Peacoat

Bartender
OK, I found the thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35516&highlight=Aero+buckles

If the link doesn't work, it is from a post by InsOma (I think), and is dated 11/7/08. The title is something about "cinch buckles." There is a photograph posted of a buckle that is just a little different than what I explained in the earlier post. I guess Aero has a couple of different ways of threading their buckles.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have mine done up as initially described above by Peacoat and they work very well. I think I saw a picture elsewhere on the internet and gave it a try. Before that I had slippage issues as well.

Dav

One Too Many
Mine are put through the way described then back through again so that there is no long piece of leather flapping around and curling out, there is three pieces through the rear of the buckle instead of two, which also prevents slippage.
As for them being wrong, apart from the extra loop they are exactly how they came from aero. I just don't like the straps curling out.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, this is interesting. Mine sometimes come undone and this is a great solution. Wish I had the Highwayman with me to try it out now. My buckles are fairly primitive - not sure they have a roller.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I have the same "problem" but only because my jacket is snug without tightening the straps. If I fold them double as intended the jacket gets snugger then I need. I like the straps to be in the outmost position like in the first picture here.

I also have the roller on the front. It havent been a problem so big that I have laborated with removing it, the straps have only come losse once, but Im gonna find a solution. Maybe a fold back under the first part of the buckle will work.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Tach Ennie, and welcome to this place.

Actually Aero recommends to fold the side adjustment straps just like this:

(It's as I've received the jacket.)

5057492832_1f276287a8_z.jpg

The jacket in the picture is a 1930s HB. I don't know if your waist circumference (or your personal taste) would tolerate a narrower fit on your Hghwmn, as those straps are located much deeper on that jacket.
Once you have secured your straps like that they won't come loose. Also it's period correct as I've seen vintage jackets with the same strap arrangement.

Hope this helps...

BTW: A couple of pics of the full jacket (when worn) would be great.

Viel Spaß mit der Jacke. Ich hoffe, du bleibst uns als aktives Mitglied erhalten.

Peacoat

Bartender
Jan's picture is the way my Highwayman came from Aero and how I was trying to explain to loop the strap through the buckle. One picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks for posting the picture, Jan.

Ennie

New in Town
Thank you very much! It works.
I fold the straps now like JanSolo.

In a few months, when the jacket is broken in I show you all some pics. I think this is more interesting than showing a absolutely new jacket.

Greetings Ennie

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I did the double-through thang and never had any probs with 'em coming undone – however, the 'side panels' have taken quite a while to relax enuff to fold back naturally on themselves (I've got the buckles in pretty tight) and I got pretty annoyed at the 'batwing' type appearance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart