Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Bros jacket, 1st winter update

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
And the cited reason for those Aero jackets being inferior? Stitch count…

Not bad stitching, just a machine setting.
This is what it looks like when Aero sets their machines to do more stitches per inch.

(Aero x LVC Rockafella / Rockabily)

1681370748955.png

fs8H0Z8 (3).jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I was told not to expect perfection because it's handmade versus off the rack because it's made in a different style, one person usually in one shot versus sectioned out to multiple machinist.

This is the biggest lie on TFL, he should really stop feeding people that line, it is disrespectful to the people who spend their lives practicing that craft and achieving what he calls impossible...

Building jackets like Julie Leitch from Aero, Greg from FL, Fausto from LW or the Thedi crew is possible and it should be what every machinist strives for, not the normalization of bad work just to save time/money.

I wonder who is going to be thrown under the buss this time?

Edit: be aware that a remake will cost you money, Dave won't take care of shipping or customs fees, even if he agrees the jacket is poorly made you will have to spend more to get a new one with a proper QC, at least that was what he offered me for my bad stitching...
Himel agreed my jacket was poorly made, agreed it should never have left his shop that way but i had to pay for shipping both ways and pay for customs again.... Great!

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Finally a Himel thread again. Almost got a little boring. ;)

I suspect the problem is not QC, but "cost optimization". How many customers will get the jacket and be happy, despite the crappy stitching? Probably some because they think it has to be that way or they don't really notice it. And if one gets upset with 10 jackets, it's still cheaper than if I remake 10 jackets because of quality defects.
After all, the jacket doesn't get worse, it just gets uglier.
On the other hand, a manufacturer usually wants to meet his own demands.
What counts more in this case? Profit or demand?

Yes! From my point of view this is perfect. To expect anything beyond this is unreasonable IMO. This easily meets the expectation, surpasses it really. If they all went out like this, we’d never have these threads to the contrary (or at least they’d be far more scarce).

I’ve seen this jacket on you (on your IG). To me it really is a perfect Halfbelt. As good as it gets in fit, materials and construction. I know I am one of the more vocal critics when it comes to Himel Bros, there are things about the brand that make me bristle but there is absolutely no argument when it comes to a jacket like yours.

If this were his standard, he would find most his critics (myself included) left with very little to criticize.

Last edited:

willyto

One Too Many
If I'm paying +$2500 for anything I expect it to be as close to perfect as it can be. I wouldn't settle for less.

I settled with his Heron Grizzly and it's imperfections because it was sold as a Sample and was like $800 which turned into +$1000 after taxes and import duties. Today I wouldn't accept it to be honest but I know better and I've worked with leather, made my own thread, stitched by hand and made my own pair of shoes.

The inside of the zipper is a bit of a mess but I don't have pics and I don't have it at home. These are old pics from when I got it many years ago.

MfaD8Od.jpg

It also had fantastic stitching on some other areas:

zIoJJH1.jpg

So to be honest I don't know why there is no consistency.

If the sleeves were much longer I'd wear it a lot but as of now it just sits in a closet not because of the stitching but because of the short sleeves on me.

jeo

One Too Many
Edit: be aware that a remake will cost you money, Dave won't take care of shipping or customs fees, even if he agrees the jacket is poorly made you will have to spend more to get a new one with a proper QC, at least that was what he offered me for my bad stitching...
Himel agreed my jacket was poorly made, agreed it should never have left his shop that way but i had to pay for shipping both ways and pay for customs again.... Great!
I had to pay to ship the old jacket back. Forgot how much it was, maybe $50. Himel paid for shipping the new one to me. No other cost incurred.

I’m assuming for anywhere outside US and Canada it will be more expensive, especially if you have to pay both ways.

Carlos, correct me if I’m wrong but in total it would have cost you like a grand or something?

jeo

One Too Many
Yes! From my point of view this is perfect. To expect anything beyond this is unreasonable IMO. This easily meets the expectation, surpasses it really. If they all went out like this, we’d never have these threads to the contrary (or at least they’d be far more scarce).
I think it’s reasonable to expect beyond. You just have to be realistic about who you expect it from.

That’s why it’s important that everyone do their research before dropping any kind of money so they know exactly what they’re getting into and what each maker is all about.

Himel isn’t about laser precise stitching. He’s about great leather, design and patterns that result in really nice looking, fitting, comfortable and functional jackets.

Out of all my jackets my Frobisher is top three as far as the ones I wear most.

Funny enough it’s my ‘cheaper’ Schott perfecto that is also up there. Not fair to compare though, it’s not horsehide but a soft, stretchy steerhide and is a motorcycle jacket built for function/mobility. Because of that, it’s super comfortable and enjoy the hell out of wearing it.

I’ve seen this jacket on you (on your IG). To me it really is a perfect Halfbelt. As good as it gets in fit, materials and construction. I know I am one of the more vocal critics when it comes to Himel Bros, there are things about the brand that make me bristle but there is absolutely no argument when it comes to a jacket like yours.
What you saw was my RC Hercules. Never posted the Imperial, only the Frobisher.

red devil

That’s why it’s important that everyone do their research before dropping any kind of money so they know exactly what they’re getting into and what each maker is all about.

And that is the tricky part....

Years ago, someone would have believed that Himel was beyond the competition in every single aspect. That Aero was the gold standard. That RMC was also top tier.

On the other hand, they would not have had much information about JL, believed that Simmons Bilt are criminals and inferior to Aero, etc.

Even nowadays, a newcomer reading the forum could very well wonder what Himel is really worth... Is it a witch hunt? Or are the criticisms justified? Are his jackets worth his asking price?

Reactions: jeo

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Are his jackets worth his asking price?
You're forgetting something.

These low construction/high material quality jackets might objectively only be worth about $500, but when evaluating price one should also factor in other components of the Himel service offering such as the right to become part of 'the Tribe':

noun

1. 1.
    a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader.

^^sounds expensive

jeo

One Too Many

Years ago, someone would have believed that Himel was beyond the competition in every single aspect. That Aero was the gold standard. That RMC was also top tier.

On the other hand, they would not have had much information about JL, believed that Simmons Bilt are criminals and inferior to Aero, etc.

Even nowadays, a newcomer reading the forum could very well wonder what Himel is really worth... Is it a witch hunt? Or are the criticisms justified? Are his jackets worth his asking price?

That's why places like this are so important where people share their honest experiences. People can see the good, bad and the ugly. There will be flops and there will be successes. People can see both and make up their own mind.

But we must share and we must be honest and sometimes that's a very hard thing to do, especially when you drop serious cash on something you tend to have an extreme bias.

And lastly people must do extensive research. Not just see one or two reviews and go drop $2500+ on a jacket.

red devil

You're forgetting something.

These low construction/high material quality jackets might objectively only be worth about $500, but when evaluating price one should also factor in other components of the Himel service offering such as the right to become part of 'the Tribe':

noun

1. 1.
    a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader.

^^sounds expensive

Ah yes the Himel Tribe lol

It seems to be working with some people... That's very reminiscent on a much smaller scale of what Harley Davidson does. They don't call it a club, but there is a group. Generally, works with bigger names.

What put me off is that Himel always wanted to have the same brand power as the big fashion houses, without putting in the time, having the history, offering the same level of service or experience, and lastly without any semblance of QC... or more likely with optimising the QC to his advantage.

But we must share and we must be honest and sometimes that's a very hard thing to do, especially when you drop serious cash on something you tend to have an extreme bias.

Yep and this is a big problem I have encountered in many hobbies. People don't like admitting - whether to themselves or others - they got much less than expected for their money.

Damon141

Practically Family
It also had fantastic stitching on some other areas:

zIoJJH1.jpg

So to be honest I don't know why there is no consistency.
I have some very good sections on my Kensington to be fair, it's just the bad ones are unusually bad

Himel isn’t about laser precise stitching. He’s about great leather, design and patterns that result in really nice looking, fitting, comfortable and functional jackets.

Out of all my jackets my Frobisher is top three as far as the ones I wear most.
The YouTube Himel Kensington video even discusses the pristine stitching, recommended to choose light stitching on dark brown to highlight it. That is the jacket I mirrored.

My jacket fits well but you prove with your Imperial that they can achieve precise accuracy. I agree their materials are top notch and the same can be said of Aero if you look at their leather choices and linings.

That Frobisher fits you very well, I had seen that in the past.

I am also guilty of assuming that TMC and even Freewheelers were perfect from the good photos they show.
Now after being here for over a year I've seen some RMC with wavy stitch lines and not so perfect Freewheelers jackets. Granted none of the empty needle holes and back and forth stitching I have shown.

I have seen videos where machinist's have ended a stitching row and slowed down the walking foot to place the needle in the sane hole as previous threads.

Observe

One Too Many
Close up of the stitching on the chest pocket of my old Vanson where it's doubled up. Much neater than @Damon141's Himel and on a jacket that brand new was likely only $600. I acquired it used for significantly less. was a point where I was seriously considering splurging for a Himel but after spending some time here I've come to appreciate the pleasures of vintage, second hand bargains as opposed to repeatedly being disappointed by overly expensive, under-delivering hyped makers.
20230413_124028.jpg

red devil

Close up of the stitching on the chest pocket of my old Vanson where it's doubled up. Much neater than @Damon141's Himel and on a jacket that brand new was likely only $600. I acquired it used for significantly less. was a point where I was seriously considering splurging for a Himel but after spending some time here I've come to appreciate the pleasures of vintage, second hand bargains as opposed to repeatedly being disappointed by overly expensive, under-delivering hyped makers.
View attachment 507393

What can I say.... Vanson doesn't offer bespoke hats lol

1681400808470.png

Vanson makes proper riding gear with a better fit than Himel... their patterns are some of the best I have handled.

What can I say.... Vanson doesn't offer bespoke hats lol

View attachment 507399

Vanson makes proper riding gear with a better fit than Himel... their patterns are some of the best I have handled.
I paid $25 more for this HH Schott!
IMG_4348.jpeg
IMG_4350.jpeg

Granted the jacket isn’t bespoke…..LOL!
I guess it’s a case of don’t hate the player, hate the game. If there are people out there willing to spend $175 for a $14 hat….May God Have Mercy On Their Souls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy