Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Kensington review, first custom

Spiney

One of the Regulars
Would not blame you from ordering another Himel later on. They got this one absolutely perfect!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Beautiful looking jacket, congratulations :)

I didn’t realize he offers this hide … now you’ve got me thinking….

Damon141

Practically Family
Hallelujah ;)
Congratulations to this nice jacket.
A had a good board to read and you honestly helped me on sizing with your detailed measurement diagrams you shared
Great write up. And wow, what a jacket. One of the nicest racing shirts I've seen, both in terms of fit and attention to detail. Congrats.
Thank you, means a lot coming from you. Your knowledge on jackets helped me.
I feel like it would be an insult to the board if I didn’t share after learning a little bit. I know many vanish when they finally get a decent jacket.
Not often does Himel looks so good on someone. They got your measurements down to a t and the pattern seems to be perfect for your posture in general. The jacket is very nice, too.
Thank you, I was definitely worried when waiting and wondering because I know Bespoke can go either way, best part now I have a solid jacket to use as foundation for future builds.
Ah, forgot: nice car too!
Some guy ran into the gas station so I had to move quickly, I said “now’s my chance”
Awesome jacket and fit and a great style choice! In my opinion, cafe racers are one of the best if not the best types to start with in this jacket world, so easy to integrate with a more modern wardrobe and perfect for eventually start adding more heritage pieces if you choose so. Love it! And that lining!
I couldn’t tell you why I like cafe racers besides that they might be less intimidating for a newcomer. Heritage yes, when I see jackets on tv, I cringe at most. I even have my wife saying “that’s a mall jacket”

@Damon141 Fantastic Jacket! Perfect fit and I know why you like this leather a lot! ;)
Love the leather but I don’t have much to compare it too, FOR NOW

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Excellent jacket. You did very well on this one. So did Himel. The unusual drop ratio is hard to get right over the internet but he did it. Front and back. Kudos.

Rainbow Country (Freewheeler jacket maker) runs batch production. So it's gonna be different than making one jacket at a time. But none of them comes with a drop 8 ratio. The La Brea has the most drop and is only drop 4, 5 tops. They're mostly the slim straight patterns so it will bag out on you at the waist. So you did well going custom.

Damon141

Practically Family
Excellent jacket. You did very well on this one. So did Himel. The unusual drop ratio is hard to get right over the internet but he did it. Front and back. Kudos.

Rainbow Country (Freewheeler jacket maker) runs batch production. So it's gonna be different than making one jacket at a time. But none of them comes with a drop 8 ratio. The La Brea has the most drop and is only drop 4, 5 tops. They're mostly the slim straight patterns so it will bag out on you at the waist. So you did well going custom.
You read my mind. That is what I most worried about, 8” drop scared me because I feared it wouldn’t follow my body and possibly too tight on the upper or mid back.

I have plenty of room in the hem but in a future build I have toyed with the idea of a cafe racer that goes in at the abdomen but flairs at the hip.

Damon141

Practically Family
Yeah, it is a bad look when a jacket hits tight at the hips and bunches up the back. Damon141 and DH avoided this error beautifully.
Like this mistake they made, no fault of the maker as they just did what I specified
06DB8253-25D7-42C4-9966-57F0A864ED94.png

Damon141

Practically Family
Slightly off topic, but worth trying straight leg jeans next. Sugar Cane 1947s are a steal right now with the weak yen.
I thought it over but I worry about the fit. I’m chicken leg guy in that photo but there are times where my quadriceps gain 2-3” so I have been going with stretch with a relaxed taper.

I really would like to try a pair of reasonably priced selvedge denim. Open to recommendations
*edit; I see now you recommended sugar cane 1947. Thanks

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought it over but I worry about the fit. I’m chicken leg guy in that photo but there are times where my quadriceps gain 2-3” so I have been going with stretch with a relaxed taper.

I really would like to try a pair of reasonably priced selvedge denim. Open to recommendations
*edit; I see now you recommended sugar cane 1947. Thanks

I said straight leg which should be perfect for your training regimen/fluctuations. Hinoya is my recommended shop. Shipping to the US for jeans from them is just $10 right now. (I actually got the jeans and two pairs of high waist WWII khakis with that shipping.)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Like this mistake they made, no fault of the maker as they just did what I specified View attachment 462801
I see the value in Himel's custom jackets now. You are not an easy guy to fit and he did an excellent job.
If the jacket maker (even if he doesn't sew in Himels case) knows the jacket he will make it fit. Little curve here and little tuck there they know how to get it done.
I still think he is overly expensive but every Himel custom I've seen makes the wearer look good regardless of shape and sizes. So he's got some skills in that department for sure.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
The one and only Himel I’ve owned/handled was a Kensington and was a work of art through and through. Too bad I got it second hand and it ended up being a size too small. I thought about keeping it just to stare at, hanging in the living room..

Damon141

Practically Family
I said straight leg which should be perfect for your training regimen/fluctuations. Hinoya is my recommended shop. Shipping to the US for jeans from them is just $10 right now. (I actually got the jeans and two pairs of high waist WWII khakis with that shipping.)
I am measuring a variety of my jeans now trying to see what size I will need
I see the value in Himel's custom jackets now. You are not an easy guy to fit and he did an excellent job.
If the jacket maker (even if he doesn't sew in Himels case) knows the jacket he will make it fit. Little curve here and little tuck there they know how to get it done.
I still think he is overly expensive but every Himel custom I've seen makes the wearer look good regardless of shape and sizes. So he's got some skills in that department for sure.
Im still shocked that he made the jacket with no fit jacket or mock up. I do think a mock up might be easier but would add to the cost, maybe out if vinyl because of the similar properties to leather.

100% agree, the price can be intimidating and just plain unattainable for many if not most. That’s why I did not purchase another Kensington right away and pursued others.
I can’t defend the price but instead mulled over a list of pros and cons.

Main con; highest price
Pros; a pattern literally drawn up personally for me, not just alterations
Lower wait time than other full bespoke like langlitz, Fields, Goodwear, that had a real impact since I was already waiting for other jackets. (All of which I hope to own one day)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk