Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ho Hum black dresses

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Girls, what are some of your ideas for sprucing up black dresses? I mean, I seem to have so many black vintages frocks.. only I feel like I'm going to a funeral when I wear them. Some really adorable 40's ones too. Does anyone have pics of how they've embellished theirs.. a big flower at waist, brooch, ect? I'm thinking of making detachable collars and cuffs, but not just white or beige lace.. perhaps pink, etc.

Button covers maybe??

Also, does anyone where colored shoes with black? I don't know if I could do it. I've always been a "match the dress or darker" shoe kinda gal.
Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Nikki,

I don't have pictures of my spruced up black dresses but, I think all of your ideas are great.

I tend to add flowers to mine, and then coordinate with a colored pair of shoes. I have a lot of black dresses, and if I don't add these embellishments, even if they do have interesting designs or swags or cuts, they start to all look the same, and kind of dull.

I think your idea of adding colored or patterned cuffs and colors is a great one, I might just do that.

I don't know all the rules of dressing vintage, but I think little touches like floral brooches, colored shoes, everything you said above are all great ways to spruce up a black dress. They are also good in that you can make many different looks out of one dress, so you might get more use out of them. Also, if the dress has a belt you could maybe coordinate the belt to match the cuffs and the collar that you make. I have one dress that was missing the belt. I took a red belt from another dress, added a big red rose and red shoes and the drab black dress was transformed.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I brighten up my favourite black dress with a pair of red satiny sandals in summer, I don't have a winter pair yet.

You can use coloured scarves, hats, gloves etc. Maybe try replacing plain buttons with rhinestone buttons or corset style laces.
Attach a cluster of ribbons to the waistline and let them flow around your legs. Pieces of coloured feathers and laces can add details.

Use dyes to paint a pattern on the dress...

That's all I can think of right now[huh] hope it helps!:)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I pair my black dresses with brightly colored or pastel bolero sweaters and jackets, sashes or belts, and other accessories like brooches, necklaces, and earrings to add interest. The detachable collars and cuffs that you mentioned were a popular way to get more use out of basic dresses; I also have a couple of patterned bolero jacket and sash ensembles that can really change up a number of outfits (and they were also marketed as another way to get many wears out of a basic, solid colored dress in the late 1930s.) I don't find wearing black to be dreary, but I do tend to be drawn to more brightly colored outfits overall, so when I do wear black I often wear it with brightly colored accents. Like Daisy, I think red shoes and accessories can add a lot of pop to a black dress; I have gotten used to wearing contrasting shoes with a lot of my outfits as well, despite always being taught the "same color or darker than" shoe rule that you mentioned. :)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
NicolettaRose said:
A classic Chanel Cameilia and a strand of pearls

Oooo! you could attach the pearls to the neck line, or the sleeves etc!
(I appologise for my irreverence regarding pearls:D )

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Scarves and brooches are a great, easy and non surgical way to liven up a black dress. I have the opposite problem, not enough black lol

LD

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I love an Eisenberg crystal brooch at or near the waist. I also love a vibrant red (or any jewel-tone) silk sash at the waist (then with said brooch on it).

I wear red or different colored shoes with black, but generally only in the Summer or Fall. In Winter I feel it looks too un-seasonal. I'm very much a less-is-more gal, but with black I love an unexpected piece of color, or jewelry, or both.

Naama

Practically Family
So, I almost only wear black white or grey. Somehow, I never feel like I'm going to a funeral, maybe I'm just too used to black? I even think that the all heavy black look is pretty dramatic and looks really, really good if you put on the right make up and hairstyle. But maybe I'm just crazy?

Naama

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm the opposite, I almost never wear black. I have one black dress (repro, I get too bored sifting through the large section of black dresses at vintage shops to ever find one I like), and I've only worn it once for an art project!

However, for that I think I spruced it up pretty nicely with a fox fur stole and some gold glitter (!) peep toe pumps (payless, $8!). However, I could barely walk!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
accessories!

I love my little black dresses as well, but yes, they need some livin' up!
Like was suggested before, I love to wear red high heels (adds a great splash of color). Jewelry is a must! I love going for contrast, pearls work great, or if you are in a fun mood, go for some playful costume jewelry.
Make-up; red lipstick looks great when wearing a black dress.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks everyone.... great suggestions! Ok, I'm going to try the red shoe thing, I think I can do it! I need more belts and sashes!

Nikki

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Ok... :rage: I tried to scan these outfit sprucer-upper ideas that are in the Ladies Home Journals I have, but unfortunately they are right along the crease and the writing becomes blurry... does anyone want me to still try? I actually will have to scan them twice since the mag is longer than the scanner surface.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Belts, scarves, brooches and little cardigans/shrugs can spruce up a plain black dress as well as bright or patterned shoes. Pearls also look great but then I tend to wear pearls all the time anyway. I own many black separates but surprisingly only one black dress (which hasn't even been worn yet!)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
I'm the opposite, I almost never wear black. I have one black dress (repro, I get too bored sifting through the large section of black dresses at vintage shops to ever find one I like)
I'm SO with you on the Avoiding Black - I seem to end up wearing olive green in it's place - and I can never be bothered to sift through all the black vintage.

However, I have worn red shoes with black. Also emerald green is a nice contrast to solid black and I think it would go nicely with your hair, Ohairas, if it's still red.

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Well...

I manage to spruce my stuff up with brooches, beads and a wide belt - usually my red or sequinned one, have tried red patent shoes and / or elbow length gloves too and have a pink angora shrug/cardigan too ( obviously not all of this stuff at the same time lol )
Here is a picture of my latest black dress and I need to find a diamante necklace to match as the clasp in the centre is diamante;
P2110006.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LolitaHaze said:
Ok... :rage: I tried to scan these outfit sprucer-upper ideas that are in the Ladies Home Journals I have, but unfortunately they are right along the crease and the writing becomes blurry... does anyone want me to still try? I actually will have to scan them twice since the mag is longer than the scanner surface.
I am interested, Lolita, thanks!
With a black dress, I wear a pair of red patent pumps with a strap, always get a positive comment, year around. When it's not winter, I wear wedgie sandals. I actually purchased something from this century, gold wedgie Vince Camuto sandals with jewelled wedges, from Dillards. Too cute but no pictures yet.

Bonny

New in Town
A good way to spruce up a black dress especially if it is high necked is to make a collar. It could be made out of any color or material and you could embroider it or leave it as is. hope it helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart