Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hogan, I'm warning you!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
some of the costumes are pretty authentic I've noticed... however, as always, the women are always up to the latest late 60s fashion lol

This just makes me roll my eyes whenever I see the women in their 60s fashion - wonder why the producers decided to do that???

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
One of my favorite shows as a wee lass -- for some reason I got it in my head that Schultz was actually Santa Claus without his whiskers, and that he worked on TV during the off-season. Took a long time for my mother to talk me out of that idea.

Funny! I really like Schultz my self, he cracks me up! In the clip I provided earlier there's a part when a spy is dressed in a black SS uniform and he's shooting at Hogan, Klink and Schultz in an office... and Klink tells Schultz to shoot... And Schultz is hiding behind a file cabinet and says: I would but I have lost my rifle... as he lets it go behind the cabinet lol

I remember when I was a teen, I used to build lots of WWII model airplanes and after I had enough time in the garage smelling model glue, I'd come in the house and watch the Dick Van Dike show then, after that it was Hogan's Heroes... the station didn't come in very well but, I enjoyed watching then as I do now.

I finally managed to track down a copy of The Wicked Dreams of Paula Schultz which starred Crane, Klemperer, Askin, and Banner along with Elke Sommer. Elke's a defecting gymnast from East Germany. Crane falls in love with her, and Klemperer and crew are the East Germans trying to get her back. Klemperer is hilarious in this picture. I'll be posting a few clips over at The Cad in a week or so. Stay tuned.

Regards,

Jack

WH1

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
I finally managed to track down a copy of The Wicked Dreams of Paula Schultz which starred Crane, Klemperer, Askin, and Banner along with Elke Sommer. Elke's a defecting gymnast from East Germany. Crane falls in love with her, and Klemperer and crew are the East Germans trying to get her back. Klemperer is hilarious in this picture. I'll be posting a few clips over at The Cad in a week or so. Stay tuned.

Regards,

Jack

That would be worth seeing just for the image of Elke on a balance beam, talk about miscasting.lol

Flivver

Practically Family
Hogan's Heroes went on the air in September, 1965 when I was in the 9th grade. This was *the* show for teenage boys at the time...and it's still one of my favorites.

I happened to catch an episode last week, after not having seen the show fior some time, and was amazed at the resemblance one of my bosses has to Klink!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Klink is one of the great comic archetypes -- the craven company man motivated only by a desperate survival instinct. There's one in every office.

Back in the 90s one of our congressmen bore a disturbing resemblance to Herr Kommandant -- bald head, stiff manner, jittery personality. Whenever he sent around any sort of publicity photos, they'd end up posted on the newsroom wall with a monocle drawn around one eye. No further comment was needed.

Sunny

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:
As a side note, even if it is a comedy, some of the costumes are pretty authentic I've noticed... however, as always, the women are always up to the latest late 60s fashion lol
I heard recently that because the budget was low, the actresses simply used their own wardrobes. Can anyone confirm this?

It was an OK comedy (fantasy) with some classic lines.

On a side note: my dad was a WWII vet that fought in the European campaign, came in to France about 4-6 weeks after D-Day thru one of those beach heads that was made into a port of entry for the men and material.

He hated that show with a passion! He would go on a tirade about how "funny" the war was and how "funny" the Germans were as foes on the battlefield.

Hondo

One Too Many
I hear you Big John, my Dad was in Navy during WWII in the Pacific theater but you have to remember that these shows (and Combat, 12 O’clock High) were aimed at audiences around the time when Vietnam War where starting to make the news wires, escalating conflict. Sort of like propaganda I think in the face of real war, take your mind off of it. One of the reasons Combat and 12’O’Clock High were taken off the air was the violence, TV drama or not, it wasn’t viewed as unacceptable on public TV.
Earlier posts mentioned, some of the actors in Hogan’s Heroes were concentration camp victims as well as Jewish, But I understand your Dads view point, war is not fun and laughs, its only after the war maybe you could find something to laugh about as some actors did in Hogan’s Heroes.

btw: My dad never watched Hogans Heroes, didn't care for it.
No one correcting my spelling?
Can't see keyboard at night:)

John in Covina said:
On a side note: my dad was a WWII vet that fought in the European campaign, came in to France about 4-6 weeks after D-Day thru one of those beach heads that was made into a port of entry for the men and material.

He hated that show with a passion! He would go on a tirade about how "funny" the war was and how "funny" the Germans were as foes on the battlefield.

John in Covina said:

That is pretty tame. You should have heard my father's take on MASH. :eek: :p

Mac Daddy

New in Town
Hogans Hero's is a comedy, and I think someone earlier hit the nail on the head, the Jewish actors were able to portray the Germans as bumbling fools and that the allies always were one up on them. We all know this wasn't true all of the time, but hey, if it helps those guys get over in some small way what they saw or went through, then I am happy for them !

By they way, I have all the episodes, its great, although once the original Kinchloe left the show it wasn't as good.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Very funny show

I have season one on DVD, and still laugh at every episode. As a boy, I would sit close to our RCA b/w TV and wait for the BCP-Bing Crosby Productions logo at the end, so that I could read it aloud before it unfolded (make sense?). It's true that the show lost out when Ivan Dixon left. Regarding fashion, though, Dixon's mini-fro got a little too long as the show progressed, and Richard Dawson's sideburns starting growing from season one on (which should not have been allowed by the producers). Interestingly enough, in the b/w pilot John Hovis (Carter) played a USAAC captain, only to be "demoted" to Sergeant First Class in episode one. (Hovis replaced Leonid Kinsky, who played [what else?] a Russian P.O.W. in the pilot, but not picked up for the series.) Also, John Banner (Schultz) reportedly took only union scale wages for his work, in return for helping make the Nazis look like idiots. Both Banner and Klemperer (IMHO the real star of the show) served in the U.S. Army during WWII.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mac Daddy said:
once the original Kinchloe left the show it wasn't as good.
I never even noticed that he wasn't on the show for the full run. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot