Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holdin' up!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't like suspenders or belts. Though when in a crunch I head for the suspenders as they allow the trousers to drape better. I head for the belt when I go traveling as a wide swath of leather keeps them pretty securely on when trapesing through trails and up hills.

Otherwise... I prefer the tailor to give me a good fit.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
I frequently ...

... wear a belt, almost every day, as a matter of fact. But I prefer suspenders when I'm going to be standing most of the time. It's only when I'm seated that I don't like braces.

Whenever I wear suspenders, I'm reminded of what Oscar Wilde said, which was something like, All men's clothing should hang from the shoulders. (I have to assume he didn't include socks and shoes in that statement.) But you're right: Suspenders certainly help pants hang more naturally.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Belts are marvelous fashion accessories and can say so much about a man. Personally, I like clean lines, good leathers and plain buckles. I never wear a silver buckles with gold cuff-links and watch, nor the other way around.

If you're pants fit, a belt will not gather the material, but it is very difficult to get your waist size to a constant. I am 38 and I have a 37" waist. Sometimes it is 38". I try to keep it under my age!

Braces can be stylish as well, though they can pull up your pants a bit when you sit, and they stand out in the boardroom. Still, I love the look of a starchy white dress shirt beneath a nice set of braces.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Braces normally.

Belt sometimes. With Leslie Howard-esque buckle-off-to-the-side fashion. It is actually functional. Wear a stop watch around your neck a lot and you'll see why.

bk

Back in my ballroom competition days, if I wore a belt (which wasn't often, I definitely prefer braces) I'd actually buckle it in the back. If the follow is wearing a belt, the buckles can catch!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I definitely prefer braces to belts! Of course, this may have to do with being skinny and not being able to find pants in my size... I have a 28-29" waist, and it's hard to find size 29 pants sometimes, so I have to settle with 30". If I am wearing a 30 with braces, it looks just fine (and helps the pleats hang better).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn