Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood brim

An Uptown Dandy

New in Town
The Fedora - How to Wear the Brim?

In a previous post on my blog, I wrote about a certain way of wearing the fedora:

I had come across a few photos, mostly of Chicago racketeers, who wore the fedora brim snapped up on one side and down on the other, not the up in the back and down in the front way that I was used to seeing. I thought maybe it was a gang thing, or just a certain jaunty way some people wore their hat.

Then I came across some old photo stills of William Powell wearing his hat in the same way. I basically came to the conclusion that it was probably just a rakish way to wear one's hat during the 1920s, as Powell seemed to be quite the dandy in real life and on screen.

I'm sure someone here has seen this before so I'm curious to hear your thoughts - was this a popular style of that era?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That style is what is called the hollywood brim. I rather like to wear my hats that way, though not always. These days, it is mostly known because that is how Mr. Depp wears it.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Another person to wear this look was Al Capone.
capone6.jpg

A lot of people seem to think I look like him though I fail to see the resemblance other than that we both like to wear a hat and a suit.

Edward

Bartender
I always assumed it was to do with keeping the brim up out of eyeline on the side with which you shoot... Would explain Capone favouring that style. I believe it was also en vogue in parts of the old west?

An Uptown Dandy

New in Town
Many thanks for the link to the previous thread on the "Hollywood Brim" style, Yeps! It definitely appears to have been a popular style of the era - I'll have to update my blog post accordingly :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou