Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood comes a knockin

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Everyone
In between running to Oregon once a week ( OK...driving ) I was called on to create a couple of hats for an upcoming film starring John Travolta and James Gandolfini. The costumer sent me some sample hats of what they had in mind and set me free to create. Here is what I came up with for them and your perusal. They love them!
Also, because of the way hatters tend to get "creative" with the facts of who made what hats for what films, I thought I would put these out there before the film was even shot so I won't be questioned when claiming them down the road. Ever wonder about SO many hatters claiming the same hat?
The working title of the film is "Lonely Hearts" and is about two detectives & a muder case back in the late 40s. Actually a true story as one of the detectives is the producers grandfather.

Enjoy

Gandolfini dark grey with midnight grey ribbon, raw edged

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/The Lounge/Lonely Hearts/Gandolfini_1.jpg

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/The Lounge/Lonely Hearts/Gandolfini_2.jpg

Travolta...dark brown pure beaver, auburn ribbon & bound edge

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/The Lounge/Lonely Hearts/Travolta_2.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I know who REALLY made that hat!

Wait!! I see that one of the hats is BROWN. So..it that a Dave Brown Hat? Ok. I know..it's really made by Baron...I can tell by the ribbon. No, it's the felt. I can tell now, from the picture, it is a True Gary White hat!

OK. I'm just kidding. Is that what you are trying to prevent ;) :cool: :p :p

By the way, those are SPECTACUALR HATS!! I have a BLACK Pure Beaver similar to that! Oh, and fokks, I did mention in another post that I have gotten two fine straw Montecristi hats from Art for the summer season. They are on the block now. Wow, Art my hat is OFF TO YOU!!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
That's really great Art, the hats look really fantastic. I am curious though, with such a vast reserve of authentic vintage hats, why did they want you to make them? I'm sure that if you could find a hat to fit Jeff Bridges big noggin you have one in Travolta's size as well.

fedoralover

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have noticed that the film industry is some what steering away from vintage. Some of the outfits in the Aviator were custom made for the film. Vintage hats are getting some what hard to find if you don’t know where to look. Getting the right size is hard and I mean hay, if they can spend a little bit more for a custom hat that would fit right and will last years more then the movie life of a vintage hat well, why not? Art, those are great hats and I’m sure they will look super on the silver screen!

Some costume houses are buying good repros for films seeing that it cost money to keep the vintage clean and it’s hard to keep them free of moth damage. They’re starting to make good knock offs that look rather well made of other fabric that isn’t something a moth or what ever would want for lunch. So, it would last longer.

Keep up the good work Art!

Root.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Copyright by Art

Nice looking hats Art, I'm glad you posted this now or before you know it ole pos would claim he made them.

Great job and the best hats i've seen on the net in a long time. :)

Ken

A-List Customer
Hey congratulations - no better recognition of your talents than big stars like Travolta wearing your handiwork!

Ken :)

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
I love the Gandolfini hat, it's almost exactly what I've been looking for in a gray fedora for awhile now. My collection is currently limited to Indy hats, something I am trying to remedy, and will as soon as money allows.

gandydancer

Familiar Face
fedoralover said:
That's really great Art, the hats look really fantastic. I am curious though, with such a vast reserve of authentic vintage hats, why did they want you to make them? I'm sure that if you could find a hat to fit Jeff Bridges big noggin you have one in Travolta's size as well.

fedoralover

Well I am not in the film business, but from what I have heard they usually need more than one identical hat (more than a dozen in the case of action/adventure films). It is getting kind of hard to buy a half-dozen identical vintage hats.

Now to check out my thinking here: Art, did they order just one of each?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HI Guys,
Fedoralover, it's all about getting "dupes" as gandydancer mentions. That and Travolta has specific requirements in his contract. There are actually colors he wont wear, which should also answer your questions Root. Usually the custom made stuff is for having dupes AND to fit the actors ego.
What surprised me were the sizes.Mr. T is only a 7 1/4 and Mr. G is a 7 3/8. Since Gandolfini wears a size 52 jacket I would have thought a bigger noggin.
The costumer has promised me an autograph pic of each in my hats since this is the first time I was asked to custom make for the lead characters and not just supply vintage. Too cool!!!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
That is really fantastic Art. I'm assuming either the costumer or the actors will keep the hats once the movie is over? Or will you be able to keep them?

fedoralover

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I hope this film is going to be good. We have not had a good detective movie set in the golden era in many moons. I can't remember the last one. The closest thing would be LA Confidential....and that pulled the punches way back in regards to the period. The director hasn't done much....but we can hope.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Me to

jamespowers said:
Hmmm... Licensing hats. A fella could retire on that kind of deal. ;) :p
I am glad they liked the hats Art. I could use a few autographed pictures as well. ;)

Regards to all,

J

I would like a picture also.

I'm starting a Hat makers wall of pride!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy