Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home-made Hats

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
You do know, having a nice no-taper Panama Hat, is fairly rare and so very "drooled" over to own. Yours is just flat out fantastic looking. Where did you obtain the hat itself? Smart move to block it into an open crown and then work on making it have the Fedora Style you have given it.

Thank you for your compliments!

I started with a panama hat body from Hatsupply.com, because it was the only place I know of where I could place an order online and pay online. Someday when I have the cash I'll move up in the world and buy a higher end hat body from Panama Bob.

I bought one of the 4-5" brim jobbies that are pretty much a 3" crowned capeline. They're not a very high quality weave, about what you see in a Stetson 'Retro' Panama Hat, so they're a little rough looking, especially at the edge of the brim, the weave gets a bit sloppy and loose. Once it was blocked on a 6" tall #52 block using a blocking cord and a pusher downer, I had 6" of crown and 3" of brim (3" Brim is good for Florida and tall crowns IMO). So there's plenty of canvas to paint, so to speak. After a few experiments (diamond crease, center dent, ect) I decided to crease nice deep teardrop and stuck with it.

I wish I had an underwelt brim shackle though, then I could maybe play around with brim lengths. But a 5" Crown and 3" brim will do the job, and look nice with my whites, blues and black dress clothes I have to wear to work. For my earth-tones I have a natural colored (tan) panama hat.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
Here's my second attempt using a more naturally colored panama hat body.

This one is a little bit better. I'm getting some of the kinks out of the process. I really do need a brim shackle of sorts though. But damn I'm cheap and poor :D

panama8_zpse7fcae4c.jpg
panama7_zps8566e698.jpg
panama5_zps11764bca.jpg
panama4_zps56f5f400.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24