Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homemade christmas decorations...

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I bought these years ago, but I'm sure they were homemade originally. Probably not the easiest thing in the world to make, but they sure are charming:

100_2481.jpg

I guess you blow out the egg and decorate the outside shell with glitter, ribbon, beads, etc. Then cut a hole in the shell and put a sticker or decoupage from an old Christmas card inside.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
They are amazing!

I made Faythe's salt dough decorations and even went so far as to make a little doughy nativity. I put cinnamon in the dough mix to make it smell christmassy. I'll see how the significant oth. feels about egg blowing!

Warden

One Too Many
Last year we held a retro 1940s Christmas and although we are not doing a retro Christmas this year we are still keen to keep the back to basics approach to Christmas.

With this in mind we popped along to the Christmas tree festival at our local church. It was magical event, which only cost me the price of a cup of coffee and a mince pie. To top the event off our daughter's pre school took the first prize in the Christmas tree decorating competition. Their Christmas tree was decorated with edible food which the children had made. Very green, very traditional.

I have been meaning to play with the video editor software I found on my PC so I thought I would have a go at creating a little clip of Christmas tree festival.

Anyway here is Harry's 1 minute video clip Christmas Tree Festival

Harry

Warden

One Too Many
mock-turkey.jpg

With the press saying we will be paying £100 for our festive turkeys, I thought it was time to get the wartime cook book out and I found a festival alternative called mock turkey. Made from sausage meat, apple and onion, even has parsnips for turkey leg bones. Not a feather in sight.

I did add some bacon which would have been on the ration during the war, but it was going out of date in my fridge, so I used it as turkey skin.

So what do you think? Will the family W be proud of the Christmas dinner? It did taste really nice, but not really like turkey. I am trying mock goose over the weekend and that has no meat in it at all.

Other news, our daughter is spotty; we are in the middle of a chicken pox out break in the 1940s postal district. My daughter is very worried, as she does not want Father Christmas to see her spots, "I'll hide under my blanket when he comes, Daddy". I have told her, her spots will be long gone by the time Father Christmas comes, plus he give an extra present for brave little girls who have had chicken pox. Do you think she will believe me?

Before I go here is the advert, we are next performing our wartime Christmas impression at Alfreton Library in Derbyshire on Sunday 16th December. Although it might just be Mrs. W and A N Other, as I might be on spotty kiddy wigs duty.

Harry

~*Red*~

Practically Family
We had our homemade decoration day!

Natty got a fever and was fighting off a cold, so she was out of school for a few days. After her fever went away, I dug out the crafts box, and we made ornaments. She also wanted to make special gifts for "her boys". Who happen to be the 5 Sergeants she hangs out with at my husband's work before she goes to school. We made salt dough cutouts and clothespin Rudolphs, with a couple of clothespin toy soldiers. I did the "piping" and names, but she did the rest. It was the most fun. Next weekend I think we'll work on the shrinky dink ornaments!

100_4518.jpg

100_4522.jpg

100_4520.jpg

100_4525.jpg

100_4524.jpg

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Warden said:
mock-turkey.jpg

With the press saying we will be paying £100 for our festive turkeys, I thought it was time to get the wartime cook book out and I found a festival alternative called mock turkey. Made from sausage meat, apple and onion, even has parsnips for turkey leg bones. Not a feather in sight.

I did add some bacon which would have been on the ration during the war, but it was going out of date in my fridge, so I used it as turkey skin.

So what do you think? Will the family W be proud of the Christmas dinner? It did taste really nice, but not really like turkey. I am trying mock goose over the weekend and that has no meat in it at all.

Other news, our daughter is spotty; we are in the middle of a chicken pox out break in the 1940s postal district. My daughter is very worried, as she does not want Father Christmas to see her spots, "I'll hide under my blanket when he comes, Daddy". I have told her, her spots will be long gone by the time Father Christmas comes, plus he give an extra present for brave little girls who have had chicken pox. Do you think she will believe me?

Harry

Your mock turkey looks fantastic! And I'm stunned at the price--I paid thirty dollars for our T'sgiving turkey this year, and the mister was organic! Let me know how the mock goose turns out--i've always wanted to try wartime recipes, but the rest of my family isn't so keen!

And of course your little girl will believe you. With a wonderful dad like you, who wouldn't?

Warden

One Too Many
Thanks Sweetfrancaise, the price in the UK is high this year as in November we had bird flu in this country and a number of flocks meant for the Christmas table, were slaughtered of to prevent a flu epidemic.

Harry

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
~*Red*~ said:

I'm sorry your girl's been under the weather. Those stockings are so cute and I love it that she calls them "her boys".

Shrinky Dinks! There's a blast from my childhood--didn't know they still made them. I fondly remember making Hollie Hobbie ones at a friend's house when I was around 6.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
I'm sorry your girl's been under the weather. Those stockings are so cute and I love it that she calls them "her boys".

Shrinky Dinks! There's a blast from my childhood--didn't know they still made them. I fondly remember making Hollie Hobbie ones at a friend's house when I was around 6.

Thank you, and she's feeling lots better now. :D

Yes, I found the shrinky dink papers at Michael's! They have all kinds, the regular ruff clear ones, opaque ones, and even the kind that you can scan pictures onto and shrink those up! I haven't tried the pics yet, but I plan to soon. I think it's be quite funny to have all our heads bobbing around the Christmas tree..lol

And Holly Hobbie!! I had a doll once, I have apicture somewhere on my birthday, I must have been 3 or 4 with my Holly Hobbie doll! Good memories!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy