Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homemade Cosmetics

Juliet

A-List Customer
Well, I remember I promised to post regularly here, and I apologise to have disappeared so, but my life is really stepping on the accelerator, so to speak. So, I'm going to pay in installments :)

For stronger nails
4 tbs fresh or 2 tbs dried common (field) horsetail
2 tbs dill seeds
about 800 ml water

Boil the water, put the herbs in, and let it simmer on a little flame for 20 min. Cool, strain, pour into a bottle. Keep in the refrigerator, max. 4 weeks (2-3 weeks recommended). Soak nails in the infusion for 10 min every other day for several weeks for a lasting effect.

Eye bath
Bath tired, inflames eyes with
2 tbs chamomile flowers
0.5 tbs mint leaves
1 tbs althea roots
1 cup water

Boil the water, take off the heat, and put the herbs in. Cover, let stand for 30 min. Cool, strain. Always best made fresh.

On a wound
If you have a nasty wound (not nasty as in hospital nasty, you understand), particularly inflamed, spread honey on it for 8-10 hours, so it will draw out inflammants and speed up the healing. Afterwards, rinse and put an antiseptic tincture (common sage, echinacea) on the wound, then redress.
CAUTION - don't use this on nail/nailbed wounds!!! Fungae that will most likely accumulate there, will only appreciate the sugar!

For a sore throat and cough
WARNING - utterly disgusting taste!
2 tbs iceland moss
1 tbs sage
1 cup water

Boil water, take off heat. Put herbs in, cover, let stand for 15-30 min. Strain, drink slowly. Drink at least 2 cups a day. And I did warn you! :)

Foot bath for tired feet
2 tbs dried lavender flowers
2 bay leaves
1 tbs sea salt

Make an infusion of the herbs, let it stand for 10 min. Fill your designated footbath with warm water and our the infusion in through a strainer, add the salt. Soak feet for 10 min. Rinse with cold water, towel dry.
You can also add marjoram and lovage leaves.

Face mask
2 tbs of lady's mantle leaves and flowers
2 tbs mint leaves
2 tbs althea leaves
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 tsp juniper berries, crushed
500 ml water
2 tbs almond flour or oatmeal

Put herbs and water into a pan, cover. Bring to a boil, and let it simmer for 15 min. Put the oat/almond meal into a small dish, add enough of the infusion to achieve a creamy-like substance. Spread on your face, leaving out the mouth and eye regions. Leave on for 10 min.

P.S. I keep experimenting with flaxseed/linseed lotion and have gotten best results, when I put it on dry hair, thus making it optimal for second/third days and resetting.

Juliet

A-List Customer
Hello, and I forgot, my greatest result! Basing on the so-called Hairy Book (where women tried different depilating-enhancements, and concluded with results and recommendations), I took green walnuts - as in, so green, the nut itself is still milky white, when you cut it open. After going through the horrific experience of ripping my hair out (and boy, do I envy every woman who can stay with shaving!) I took the walnuts, cut them into thin slices and rubbed these over the depilated area.
Now, the result was supposed to be that less and weaker hair grows back.
Guess what?
IT WORKED!!! I was just so happy, when after two weeks only about the half grew back on my legs! (Usually, I'm back to my previous hairy conditions in 2 weeks)
Only downside - when applying under the armpits, it burned a bit, but nothing serious (in my case, I stress!).

I had the foresight to freeze some walnuts for future application, but only for one, I'm afraid.

Now the book cited two more methods, that were found largely successful -

1) take ripe walnut shells, and get those thin separator membranes out of them - make a tincture of these with 40% alcohol (I guess standing time is min. 2 weeks) and apply after depilation.

2) take ripe walnut shells - the thick, hard outer part and burn these to ash, with all safety precautions! after depilation apply the ash, and leave it on for about 20 min. Then rinse off.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That's amazing, my Mum's got a walnut tree, i'm going to have to ring her about this one as she's a hairy mediterranean Mary like me! Thanks for sharing that.

I've experimented with some home cosmetic treatments in the past, recently a few that i use regularly are:

Honey face mask - Just honey, plain and simple, applied for ten minutes, carefully washed off with literally a tiny dab of soap and tepid water. Works like a charm! Has saved me a fortune as i love Elizabeth Arden masks, works just as well.

I blitz half a cucumber and store it in the fridge for a few days, every morning after cleansing i apply on my face and round my eyes for five minutes while i drink my coffee, rinse off and voila lovely, fresh skin. (Or fresher even, it helps with my baggy eyes and tired skin as i'm rushed off my feet at the moment and not sleeping enough).

Any more recipes and ideas would be really appreciated here ladies!

Juliet

A-List Customer
I only tried the green, unripe walnut version yet, but I'll certainly will be trying the other two as well! Hope this one works as well for you as it did for me!

I'll post more soon, promise!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I told my Mum and she was thrilled to bits. I wonder if the walnut would be safe to use on the upper lip! I can just see hordes of french farmers wives scrumping my Mums walnuts now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic