Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hornskov Hats - custom Danish hatter

Pellie

One Too Many
Here they are....
Super soft hat. Really love it. 50x beaver blend.
I also like the bronze/gold colouring lining inside.
20210430_105223.jpg
20210430_105230.jpg
20210430_105244.jpg
20210430_105321.jpg
20210430_105333.jpg
20210430_105338.jpg
20210430_105345.jpg
20210430_105403.jpg
20210430_105412.jpg
20210430_105422.jpg

Last edited:
Missed this one before. Impressive to get the brim curve as tight as he gets it. The fact he uses petersham ribbon for his hats takes away a lot of the attraction away for me to be honest.

Pellie

One Too Many
Missed this one before. Impressive to get the brim curve as tight as he gets it. The fact he uses petersham ribbon for his hats takes away a lot of the attraction away for me to be honest.
That is something i really don't care about. Honestly, i don't even see the difference. It's only the edge that is different.:D And i watch that topic several time haha, but the difference is peanuts. So not something to worrie about for me personally :)
BTW, in the future Hornskov only uses grosgrain.

Last edited:
That is something i really don't care about. Honestly, i don't even see the difference. It's only the edge that is different.:D And i watch that topic several time haha, but the difference is peanuts. So not something to worrie about for me personally :)

I agree that the difference between petersham and grosgrain is slight. If it doesn’t bother you then that’s all that matters.

In the past Hornskov said that their petersham ribbon was grosgrain and I was surprised that hat makers didn’t know the difference. I’ll keep watching to see if their new hats truly have grosgrain ribbons. The difference might be small, but small difference mean a lot some times. Every time I look at my Hornskov my eye is drawn to the ribbon edge. I can see it at five meters and I irks me.

One of the constant struggles that most custom hat makers have is finding ribbon. They go to great lengths to find the old style vintage grosgrain that has the properties that so many of us look for. There is an ever dwindling supply of the old grosgrain and at some point we’ll have to use something else. Agnoulita uses polyester grosgrain (woven edge), and it looks decent in some colors, but nowhere near as good as vintage ribbon. There are silk substitutes too and some of those look great, but they come at a premium price.

If Hornskov really does start using grosgrain then I’ll seriously consider ordering another; the rest of my hat is quite nice and shows skill in its construction.

Pellie

One Too Many
I agree that the difference between petersham and grosgrain is slight. If it doesn’t bother you then that’s all that matters.

In the past Hornskov said that their petersham ribbon was grosgrain and I was surprised that hat makers didn’t know the difference. I’ll keep watching to see if their new hats truly have grosgrain ribbons. The difference might be small, but small difference mean a lot some times. Every time I look at my Hornskov my eye is drawn to the ribbon edge. I can see it at five meters and I irks me.

One of the constant struggles that most custom hat makers have is finding ribbon. They go to great lengths to find the old style vintage grosgrain that has the properties that so many of us look for. There is an ever dwindling supply of the old grosgrain and at some point we’ll have to use something else. Agnoulita uses polyester grosgrain (woven edge), and it looks decent in some colors, but nowhere near as good as vintage ribbon. There are silk substitutes too and some of those look great, but they come at a premium price.

If Hornskov really does start using grosgrain then I’ll seriously consider ordering another; the rest of my hat is quite nice and shows skill in its construction.
I asked Hornskov in a PM about this ;-)

That is good to know as in our emails he has said he cannot locate a supply of grosgrain. For me the Petersham has always been a deal breaker. Good to hear he has found a source.

Pellie

One Too Many
That is good to know as in our emails he has said he cannot locate a supply of grosgrain. For me the Petersham has always been a deal breaker. Good to hear he has found a source.
That's what i heard. Next week there will be also a launch of a new website with new products. Unfortunally also a price upgrade, at least, that is what i understood.

I asked Hornskov in a PM about this ;-)

I have a string of emails with Cathrine where she assured me that my ribbon would be grosgrain. It arrived 100% petersham. Come to find out she didn’t know there was a difference and was calling petersham grosgrain. Fingers crossed that they’ve figured it out.

If the cost has gone up significantly then I doubt that I’ll order another. Their hats are very nice, and they offer styles not readily available from other hatters, but there’s some serious competition. Some of the hatters in the US and Canada also offer hat styles that are generally more to my liking. I do enjoy seeing the hats that Hornskov comes up with and the execution is very good.

I have a string of emails with Cathrine where she assured me that my ribbon would be grosgrain. It arrived 100% petersham. Come to find out she didn’t know there was a difference and was calling petersham grosgrain. Fingers crossed that they’ve figured it out.

If the cost has gone up significantly then I doubt that I’ll order another. Their hats are very nice, and they offer styles not readily available from other hatters, but there’s some serious competition. Some of the hatters in the US and Canada also offer hat styles that are generally more to my liking. I do enjoy seeing the hats that Hornskov comes up with and the execution is very good.
I wonder if his new styles will veer towards the 'modern' distressed Nick Fouquet stylings?

Pellie

One Too Many

I agree about the competition, but for me the shipping costs and custom clearance are a no no to buy in US or Canada anymore. I do have Northwest hats and Kansas city hat, but it's way more expensive for me then if i buy a Hornskov.
Which Canadian hatter do you mean btw?

I agree about the competition, but for me the shipping costs and custom clearance are a no no to buy in US or Canada anymore. I do have Northwest hats and Kansas city hat, but it's way more expensive for me then if i buy a Hornskov.
Which Canadian hatter do you mean btw?

I think I’m right in saying that Wolfbrae Custom Hatters is the undisputed best custom Canadian hat shop extant. Is this right @belfastboy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy