Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide vs steerhide?

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
This is probably a noob question, but I can't find a reasonable explanation anywhere... When it comes to a leather jacket, why is it that horsehide is usually regarded as higher than steerhide? For example, in Aero jackets. All my current jackets are steerhide or goathide.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I have jackets in all hides however my favourite hide is definitely horse, it looks fantastic from day 1 and just keeps improving with age!, it has a deep lustre and character all of its own, keeps the rain out too!

D

I had a nice Vanson steer hide jacket for riding motorcycles. I rode it rain and shine for years, and it didn't get the same amount of break in that a FQHH or lighter HH gets in 1-2 seasons. I love steer for riding jackets. It's more of a preference really. Look at pictures here and elsewhere - you'll see what the differences are. They're both tough enough and over time, steer looks great too. I like the smell better too :) (of horsehide that is). There's a place for all the hides in a closet. I just choose based on what I do with the jacket and how I want it to look and fit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Weight is another consideration. While there's lighter weight horsehides, there are no lightweight steerhides. They are all heavy.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
and sometimes it is not about the hide but how it is sized tanned. To lay a blanket over horse ( come on that was funny)as being the better hide is far from the truth or that all steer is lower quality. As stated it all about preference....

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
I think the tanning process and quality of the hide is more important than the animal itself. That said, all things being equal it comes down to visual preference. The grain on horsehide is generally more elongated than steer and forms a rippled look. Steer can look a lot like horse but horse generally looks like horse especially when broken in. I have an old steer hercules that is indistinguishable from horse so much so that it may have been mislabled.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Having owned many leather coats/jackets over the years, I honestly can't say it made a difference to me if it was horse or cow(steer). The only way I know which animal supplied the hide is to read the label. As Sillyrib stated it can be difficult to tell the difference. I wonder if there are some hide experts who have been fooled?

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
Hello There :)

I have since last year, my first FQHH brown and am very happy for the look
I think my next jacket is made ​​of heavy black Steerhide. For Sunday ;-)
I believe that it looks new longer. Is that correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails