Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween black CXL FQHH

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
A rookie question here. Does the black cxl fqhh used by Aero have the brown under tones? Will the brown eventually come through the creasing over time?
Cheers

Plumbline

One Too Many
Hi Bunyip .. yes it will. It is not struck through and the base hide is dark brown.

Depending on the finish this may happen quickly ( several months - tumbled / vintage to a couple of years - std CXL )

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi Bunyip .. yes it will. It is not struck through and the base hide is dark brown.

Depending on the finish this may happen quickly ( several months - tumbled / vintage to a couple of years - std CXL )

Thanks Plumbline..much appreciated mate.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Here's a question for those of you who have aero jackets in this hide in both black and brown...have you noticed a different feel between the two, or do they feel exactly the same? My brown is much more 'moist' (for lack of a better word) feeling and more plyable, where my black is more 'dry' (for lack of a better word) feeling and a little stiffer. Just wondering if the brown dye process is different and accounting for the difference in feel. Or, if they may have switched to a different process between the time my black was made and when my brown was made. My brown was made in 2014, and my black was made in 2013.

Last edited:

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I think its luck of the draw. My briefly owned brown cafe racer was dry and stiff much like your black jacket.

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Hi Bunyip....
I bought a barely worn Aero Cafe Racer in black fqhh of a fellow forum member. It came to me in great condition and a rich black. I was hoping for wear through to brown and in the four or so weeks I have had it I have notice some beautiful patina develop...with warm brown glowing through. I have been wearing the coat as much as possible and it has seen rain and snow it it's short life so far. "Baby-ing" this jacket would not be a good way to describe how I have treated it. As far as the leather feel, I'd describe this as feeling slightly "dry". This is my first experience with horsehide, and I have a brown fqhh Maxwell in order and it will be interesting to compare the difference (if any).

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi Bunyip....
I bought a barely worn Aero Cafe Racer in black fqhh of a fellow forum member. It came to me in great condition and a rich black. I was hoping for wear through to brown and in the four or so weeks I have had it I have notice some beautiful patina develop...with warm brown glowing through. I have been wearing the coat as much as possible and it has seen rain and snow it it's short life so far. "Baby-ing" this jacket would not be a good way to describe how I have treated it. As far as the leather feel, I'd describe this as feeling slightly "dry". This is my first experience with horsehide, and I have a brown fqhh Maxwell in order and it will be interesting to compare the difference (if any).
That's great, happy to hear it's not 15 year process,....

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
A quick iPhone shot...not sure if the subtle color showing through can be seen....again, about 4 weeks of wear.... CR_black_brown.jpg

andywuzc

New in Town
Hi Bunyip....

Exactly I have this feeling too on my 2 FQHH jackets. Aero Cordova feel more greasy after half year in my possession(it was stiff when I got it new but oily feeling). The black cafe racer was from Alexander leather. It feels very dry compared to aero cordova.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS