Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hour Glass figures

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
miss1934 said:
For some of the more petite women out there it is possible. But look what they ate! Linch was a sandwich (two slices of bread, a slice of ham, a slice of cheese) and a cup of coffee. I tried a forties rationing diet for a week and was astounded at how little it was, and i already do not eat alot. I have acheived the 31-22-33 figure with an 11 inch neck and 22 inch head. Needless to say, I dont expect it to last very long....

Can you tell me more about that diet? I try to loose weight since I gained like 18 paounds since I got my boyfriend (I keep on cooking for him all the time and if I don?Ǭ¥t... he does ;) )

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
MissQueenie said:
Sister, you are in luck! High waistbands are (maybe were? I haven't picked up a magazine in a while) sneaking back into style. I mean, the high waists and cigarette skinny legs, which was a popular look in the 80s. I have vague memories of my mother laying down to get into her jeans -- and she's a size 2!! Anyway, they might be easier to find these days :) The "muffin top" analogy made me laugh. Do you know, a year or two ago, I read an article in a fashion magazine (JANE) that suggested women buy tight, low cut jeans and cropped shirts to show off the "adorable" little roll?!

I can't seem to find jeans with the right amount of room in the legs -- either NONE or too much, same goes for the rear. I'm pretty full-figured below the waist, but I'm also short, so it's just a nightmare. I've about given up on pants these days. I have one good pair of trousers and a lot of skirts. Jeans just make me sad.

Oh I understand entirely! "Skinny leg" jeans are all the rage now. My mother got me some for xmas. Unfortunately just because the jeans have skinny legs does not mean that I do. I'm slim but relatively curvy, and the resurgence of high-waisted pants is just the bane of my existence! If I wear high-waisted skinny leg pants I look like Tweedledee.

I returned the old ones. My mom can have my low-waisted boot cut jeans when she pries them from my cold dead hands. They're the denim equivalent of the "mermaid" dress and anything else just doesn't compare. (Though I would not be caught anywhere with a muffin top. I prefer my pants to fit.)

BV - now if only I didn't have to hem, crop, or roll them all.

Naama

Practically Family
RetroModelSari said:
Can you tell me more about that diet? I try to loose weight since I gained like 18 paounds since I got my boyfriend (I keep on cooking for him all the time and if I don?Ǭ¥t... he does ;) )

Hey, Sari! I would suggest you not to diet, just eat the half and have always enough fruits around to eat them if you feel the "need to eat" (you know, if your not really hungry....), and maybe do a little calorie counting, it drives me crazy, but this way I can eat everything I want (just less :/) and the weight didn't came back so far!

Naama

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
AllaboutEve said:
It has also made me wonder exactly what an hour-glass figure is? Do you have to be voluptuous or can you be a petite hour-glass?

I have somewhat of an hour-glass figure, and I'm petite :) I have gained a few inches, so maybe I'm not sooo much of one now, but I have gone through some family losses in the past two years, so that explains that.

I definitely don't have the big bosoms though.

And I just have to add to the discussion ...the muffin top thing then I have seen it EVERYWHERE and don't know how they get out of the house in the morning with those on thinking they look great. The little "roll" disgusts me, and I know that I would have it if I did that! But I wouldn't show it off...

And I must also say that I really don't like how the models have gone - size wise, and neither does my boyfriend. The skinny skinny look is not appealing, it makes everyone look so...gaunt and ill. There are also a lot of girls around now that are toothpicks, I mean, they look ridiculously skinny and it saddens me that they think this is what it means to be acceptable and to be "pretty"

miss1934

Familiar Face
Bosoms

I am consistantly amazed at the amount of dresses that fit me perfectly in the waist and hip and then sag considerably in th is department. Is this girdles, corsets or just a different build?

jkath

New in Town
Of course, after reading the thread and had to get out my tape measure ;)

I have a theory on girls wearing the low-low-low rise. (remember, it's just my theory and has no validity, other than in my head) If you don't exercise and eat right, your belly gets out of whack. Then, your pants don't fit. However, if you let the belly hang over your pants, you can still boast a size 7.

I truly believe that all women are more attractive in clothing that is suited for their bodies. Trend or not, there's a style for everyone.

Today I was out searching for a vintage gown (and hooray I found it!) and the woman said "oh you'll have no trouble! You're the right shape for the 30's and 40's. They were all small then." Woo hoo! It was like heaven opened up and the angels started singing. So that's it! I was born too late!

jkath

New in Town
Thank you! It's not mine yet, as it's being finished on Monday. (seams are being repaired before I get it) It makes me feel like a princess!

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
jkath said:
Of course, after reading the thread and had to get out my tape measure ;)

I have a theory on girls wearing the low-low-low rise. (remember, it's just my theory and has no validity, other than in my head) If you don't exercise and eat right, your belly gets out of whack. Then, your pants don't fit. However, if you let the belly hang over your pants, you can still boast a size 7.

So that's it! I was born too late!

I agree with both parts of this! I too was always told to have classic beauty and that I was born in the wrong era :) And the pants thing, I've often thought the same thing.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Measurements

JKath and Ladies,

It was not just ladies to whom the wrist-neck-waist 'rule' was said to apply. When I worked in clothing manufacture in England some 35 years ago, I was told that a 'normal' male build would also have those same proportions. In fact it was used to define 'overweight' before 'Body Mass Index' came along.

Indeed, a tape measure confirms that I still conform to the 'rule' at 60-ish:
Wrist = 7 3/4 inches
Neck = 15 1/2 inches
Waist = 31 inches

As a matter of interest, in the old 'Imperial' measure (now called more prosaically 'UK sizes') a man's shoe size and glove size were supposed to be the same. In other words, if he wore a size 9 shoe a size 9 glove would fit him perfectly. An quick examination of my closet shows that this works for me, as I have size 8 1/2 shoes and 8 1/2 gloves.

Now, I don't know why hat sizes don't conform to the same logic!

Dr Alan Eardley

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Wow! We ended up with a lot of traffic from this thread to . Thanks for the visits ladies. I bet you are all looking at the new Kokin hats for AW06. Regardless, thanks for the extra visits to the site I found in the weblogs today.:eek:fftopic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy