Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
The more expensive the better. LOL

I wore two similar hats one was a now defunct department store in the 60's hat and a Borsalino. Both creased the same. I get compliments on the Borsalino and I think I look better in it.

It wears much more naturally and looks more 'traveled' due to the soft felt, where the other was stiff and sits like a freshly new hat.

View attachment 556923
Gämsbart (translates into English as: a tuft of chamois hair worn as a hat decoration,) well you live and learn Stefan. Without Google I would have translated Gämsbart as a hedgehog, a pet hedgehog!
A hedgehog wouldn't be much of a hunting trophy though and hunting a pet is a no go no matter what. Wearing a plume like this would turn the heads where you live I'd imagine.

Thanks for the background, Stefan. I think I'll stick with my modest Gamsbart. The exampes you shared are nice but way out of my league!
A wise choice for now, I think, Randy. The bigger ones go for serious money!

The Gamsbart is worn on the hat as hunting trophy and therefore as a display of manliness. They were never intended as brushes. Not always worn on the side, but often on the back as well. They can get quite prominent!

View attachment 556874 View attachment 556873

View attachment 556875
Wow, Stefan! Thank you for that deposit into our brain trust sir. Googoo helped me find Ernst, so we could get our own. Talk about a niche market!!
https://ernstlicht.com/250-hats-hat...v9zi7RQRCA6e1d3Cnzpz8HJYd6SHKFfBoCGiMQAvD_BwE

harrytemp

One of the Regulars

Phimaux

New in Town
Unfortunately where I live hats are regarded as a fools tool to hide baldness, combine that with the fact that a lot of people are wearing ill fitting hats or brand beanies and you get a recipe for disaster.

I have been laughed at and insulted (and also trying to) about my hat wearing by either younger people who give a damn or around my age who also give a damn about everything and everyone (a good way to say they have zero education and respect for others except themselves). Even try to snatch a photo of me to upload to whatever social media to be ridiculed and probably label as a fascist (according to my sister which already labeled me as one for wearing 1940s/1950s style clothes but reassure his opinion as soon as I started wearing a fedora)

Sorry for the rant, but apart from that, the only good reaction I had was from an old austrian gentleman who said I look straight out of an old clothes catalog and unlike other people I'm well dress not playing dress up

Last edited:
Unfortunately where I live hats are regarded as a fools tool to hide baldness, combine that with the fact that a lot of people are wearing ill fitting hats or brand beanies and you get a recipe for disaster.

I have been laughed at and insulted (and also trying to) about my hat wearing by either younger people who give a damn or around my age who also give a damn about everything and everyone (a good way to say they have zero education and respect for others except themselves). Even try to snatch a photo of me to upload to whatever social media to be ridiculed and probably label as a fascist (according to my sister which already labeled me as one for wearing 1940s/1950s style clothes but reassure his opinion as soon as I started wearing a fedora)

Sorry for the rant, but apart from that, the only good reaction I had was from an old austrian gentleman who said I look straight out of an old clothes catalog and unlike other people I'm well dress not playing dress up
Well that sure is disappointing to hear... and rather surprising as I thought hats are generally part of Spanish culture.

Phimaux

New in Town
Well that sure is disappointing to hear... and rather surprising as I thought hats are generally part of Spanish culture.
Only during the Fairs and the Rocío and just the traditional Cordoba Hat and even then some people skip them completely as to not suffer this stigma, especially young people in their late 10s and early 20s.

It could also be that I live in a "rural area" (biggest town in the zone) and often people tend to be extremely closed minded or outright violent (in a psychological sense) to new things at least here. I can say I did not have this problem in cities like Jerez de la Frontera, Sevilla or Madrid even saw some chaps around my same age of 24 years wearing fedoras in Madrid, probably because people there usually don't pay attention to your clothes unless you are going nude.

Edit: people in my home town lack stimulus and new things, their first answer to is to ridicule or be angry about this new stimuli and new things, people being different or simply having other tastes don't match their very limited minds and views which makes you the gossip of the younger generations in town (in my case) or just the gossip of the people living here.

Like I said the only normal/good interaction was with an Austrian gentleman from my town which I will be grateful for
For the rest I ignore everything and continue with my day as I didn't hear/saw a thing.

Last edited:

Granville

One of the Regulars
I've been wearing fedoras for a couple of years now and the most common remark I get is "My father always wore a hat!" Early on I would ramble a bit about my hat journey and, yes, daddy always wore a hat (short-brimmed - it was the sixties) and my lids are in large part a tribute to him, but now I've boiled it down to a succinct, "That's why I wear 'em."

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I had one of the nicest things happen at church a couple weeks ago. I usually wear a western style fedora [broad brim] and there is a teen boy there who is autistic. He has kind of take a liking to me and he said he really liked my hat and asked if he could try it on [this is VERY unusual for someone autistic]. Anyway it was a hair too big but he really liked it. I had a new hat like it but in a different color that I had bought but it was a bit tight, so I had only worn it a couple of times. So I took it to Church and it fit him perfectly. He loves it and his Mom said she has to tell him to take it off!

I had one of the nicest things happen at church a couple weeks ago. I usually wear a western style fedora [broad brim] and there is a teen boy there who is autistic. He has kind of take a liking to me and he said he really liked my hat and asked if he could try it on [this is VERY unusual for someone autistic]. Anyway it was a hair too big but he really liked it. I had a new hat like it but in a different color that I had bought but it was a bit tight, so I had only worn it a couple of times. So I took it to Church and it fit him perfectly. He loves it and his Mom said she has to tell him to take it off!
Very, very, VERY nice, Deacon!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

That's a great story. You did a very nice thing.

RickP

New in Town
Out here in deep East Texas there are lots of baseball caps, trucker caps, and this time of year lots of straw hats. There are a few brimmed felt wearers, but most are older gentleman. Since Im retired I need something to do, so my new job is to try and add a different flair to the area. I get some comments/ complements from folks (particularly middle aged and older ladies), and lots of little kiddos noticing in the grocery. i HAVE had a couple of guys ask me about how they can find a nice hat. A few weekends ago, we had a three day Blues festival here in Crockett, Tx, and it was great to see lots of brimmed hats in the crowd. No negative reactions here, theyre just not used to seeing it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner