Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

I think the negative reaction was to "cowboy," not "hat."
Last night my wife and I went out to dinner with a good friend. When my wife mentioned she was going to see Clint Black perform tonight the friend, referring to my Akubra Campdrafts, made a good-natured suggestion that she borrow one of my hats to wear. Now, this friend is most definitely a fan of the Golden Era (he would fit in well here if he had regular Internet access) and should have known better, so I was ready to argue that they aren't "cowboy" or "western" hats. But as I opened my mouth to respond, I realized I really couldn't defend that position because they kinda' are and probably wouldn't look out of place at the concert. :confused: Now that I think about it, I'd probably wear one if I was going. :D

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Last night my wife and I went out to dinner with a good friend. When my wife mentioned she was going to see Clint Black perform tonight the friend, referring to my Akubra Campdrafts, made a good-natured suggestion that she borrow one of my hats to wear. Now, this friend is most definitely a fan of the Golden Era (he would fit in well here if he had regular Internet access) and should have known better, so I was ready to argue that they aren't "cowboy" or "western" hats. But as I opened my mouth to respond, I realized I really couldn't defend that position because they kinda' are and probably wouldn't look out of place at the concert. :confused: Now that I think about it, I'd probably wear one if I was going. :D
They are. Dunno why, perhaps high crown wide brim fedora is what every wannabe should wear, and we're all wannabes no matter how far we progress in whatever given vocation, even lack of any. Have a look though, the cool cnut in many a horse-opera is basically wearing a campdraft if in a colour the Aussies don't supply. At least the closest an opencrown can come toto tod for $100, but those days styled for the actor cowboy. Style one for yourself. You have. I'm jealous at the collection. They are a shit cool hat that says cowboy. Yours are styled amazingly. And cool cnut and other things other than western. The middle and west of your land was cleared of indigenous people by English cunts and scottish and german religious wankers wearing bowlers, Hollywood cooled it up in the 50s onwards with a wide brimmed fedora or wide porkpie on McCool gunslingers and sharp eyed men. Look at the era, the hat was dying by then but Frank was wearing one, he was cool, it got italian. He kinda thought he was a gunslinger too. He was; kennedy ignored him after he helped him: That's Italian. Write a feckin' opera about that! But there was no hollywood romance and moriconi music, they were all immigrants wearing what they could find as they ate each others eyes for protein, and fucked what they could find for some release before they died. Male and Female, hanging onto rules, civility, is the real story these movies allude to.
P-: just ranting stoned thoughts, absolutely no idea if any of that is anything else

Last edited:
They are. Dunno why, perhaps high crown wide brim fedora is what every wannabe should wear, and we're all wannabes no matter how far we progress in whatever given vocation, even lack of any. Have a look though, the cool cnut in many a horse-opera is basically wearing a campdraft if in a colour the Aussies don't supply. At least the closest an opencrown can come toto tod for $100, but those days styled for the actor cowboy. Style one for yourself. You have. I'm jealous at the collection. They are a shit cool hat that says cowboy. Yours are styled amazingly. And cool cnut and other things other than western. The middle and west of your land was cleared of indigenous people by English cunts and scottish and german religious wankers wearing bowlers, Hollywood cooled it up in the 50s onwards with a wide brimmed fedora or wide porkpie on McCool gunslingers and sharp eyed men. Look at the era, the hat was dying by then but Frank was wearing one, he was cool, it got italian. He kinda thought he was a gunslinger too. He was; kennedy ignored him after he helped him: That's Italian. Write a feckin' opera about that! But there was no hollywood romance and moriconi music, they were all immigrants wearing what they could find as they ate each others eyes for protein, and fucked what they could find for some release before they died. Male and Female, hanging onto rules, civility, is the real story these movies allude to.
P-: just ranting stoned thoughts, absolutely no idea if any of that is anything else

Fire up another, Karl! It’s all making sense!!

I know I’ve made mention of this before, but to be sure any newer folks know, I’m saying it again...

Want to hear the nicest comments on your hats?
For the absolute best place(s) to find folks who appreciate a great hat, especially vintage, go visit a senior citizens’ community. They were there, and most know and enjoy a flash from their past. The comments are always right on, and conjur up fond memories and brief exchanges that brighten EVERYBODY’s day!!

Try it.

Good job! I like you Greg.

HAHA! Great, Greg.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

We're here for you, Greg! Although, you don't need us at all, judging by how that all went down.
YOU are THE man!!!

Love it. There is just a general lack of respect for other people in our world.

I appreciate all the comments and likes in regards to my post. I seldom get a negative remark from folks, and if I do, I tend to ignore them. I try my best to respect others choices no matter how much I may disagree with them.

Hell, for over twenty five years my daily dress was a blue polyester outfit, topped by a ridiculous, useless hat. It looked good with the uniform but try keeping it on in a foot pursuit. I'm used to everyone looking at me when I enter a room. I'm used to folks giving me the "eye" when I'm out in public and eye contact with them usually turns them away. Years of scrutiny caused me to to not give a damn what others may think. I typically ignore the looks or the "hushed" comments.

Yesterday's response was one that came from deep inside that had me feeling that this fellow felt he was superior, or at the least, thought he could entertain his bar mates at my expense. There was a time when my response may not have been as humorous.

...Hollywood cooled it up in the 50s onwards with a wide brimmed fedora or wide porkpie on McCool gunslingers and sharp eyed men...
I could be wrong, and I probably am, but I agree and believe what most of us know today as the American "cowboy" or "western" hat is largely a Hollywood creation. If you look at photos of men (and some women) who worked exclusively outdoors that were taken in America during the mid- to late-1800s you'll see they wore any hat that provided some protection from the elements. Wide brims were clearly favored for obvious reasons, but beyond that the shapes of the brims and crowns were either a matter of individual preference/necessity or they simply wound up that way through years of use.

Hats Matter

One of the Regulars
This is the first time I have contributed to this thread but I had one of those moments last Thursday that inspired me to write a response. I was wearing my Optimo Olympian Green fedora as I walked down the 300 block of Sutter in San Francisco on my way to Gumps. If you are familiar with San Francisco this location is just around the corner from Bush and Stockton streets where Bridgette O'Shaunessy fatally shot Miles Archer in Dashiell Hammett's novel "The Maltese Falcon". Anyway..........a gentleman in his 60's was exiting a clothing store wearing a fedora that I would describe as being British Tan in color. We exchanged knowing smiles and a touch of the brim to one another and went on our respective journeys. I don't see many men wearing high quality hat wear in the City so this is retained in my memory.

Chasblount

New in Town
Visited my favorite watering hole for a couple this afternoon and there were the usual folks I encounter there along with mix of some I have never seen. One of those was a fellow that would probably be described as a "hipster" by what I have come to understand the term to mean. Probably in his mid 30's, he had a well groomed beard that came down to his chest, and to my eye, it was competition grade. He was wearing a t-shirt, with cut out sleeves and shorts. He was engaged in a boisterous conversation across the bar with a couple of barflys that I typically avoid. They were all well on their way.

After a bit I overheard the term "cowboy" come up more than a few times and when I looked up it was obvious their comments were directed at me. Finally, the "hipster" spoke up loudly and said, "hey cowboy, give us your best Sam Elliott impersonation." Without hesitation I responded, "kiss my ass."

Now I don't claim to know in which movie Mr. Elliott may have used this line but I'm sure he has in one or two. The only comments I heard after this were complimentary.
Outstanding!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday, while trudging up the stairs to my doctor's office, one of the building's staff came through the door I was going to pass through. He held the door open for me (although I was merely about half way up the stairs - maybe this is one for the 'You Know You're Getting Old' thread) and said to me, 'Cool hat, man!'

I thanked him for that, as well as the door-hold, and continued to my doctor's office.

Here I am, exhausted from the 2-flight walk up. ;)

fed iv carbon drs office_20180419_160012_400x711.jpg

sebastian czentner

One of the Regulars
How i told i had very few reactions to my hat wearing. My neighbiur thinks that hats fits me from fedoras to funyis,derbys( my mother says that is my best fit) Trilbys and top hats. The best reactions i had was once a time ago, when i was wearing one of my funyis at the market ( tipical porteño´s hat and tango singers and dancers), and and aproximetely 6 years old told to his father "look what cap is wearing that sir". And other of my best memories was this year when my nephew 7 years old, asked me my australian cotton hat as a gift.

Last edited:
In a bar for Happy Hour earlier this evening I was wearing my VS Playboy clone & sunglasses. There was an empty seat between me & the patron to my right. A casual conversation was being carried on between this patron, the bartender & myself when the guy stopped the conversation to ask if I knew who I reminded him of. Through the yrs I've heard plenty of comparisons to Duck Dynasty, ZZ Top & Gandolf so I was expecting it to be one of those again. But to my surprise it ended up being Leon Redbone! So it was the hat & the sunglasses! He asked me if I knew who Leon Redbone was & I told him of course. It helped to break the ice & we went on to have a great conversation over a few drinks.

In a bar for Happy Hour earlier this evening I was wearing my VS Playboy clone & sunglasses. There was an empty seat between me & the patron to my right. A casual conversation was being carried on between this patron, the bartender & myself when the guy stopped the conversation to ask if I knew who I reminded him of. Through the yrs I've heard plenty of comparisons to Duck Dynasty, ZZ Top & Gandolf so I was expecting it to be one of those again. But to my surprise it ended up being Leon Redbone! So it was the hat & the sunglasses! He asked me if I knew who Leon Redbone was & I told him of course. It helped to break the ice & we went on to have a great conversation over a few drinks.

Great one, Jack. Love me some Leon. I see the resemblance but I don't think he's 6' 5".

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
I could be wrong, and I probably am, but I agree and believe what most of us know today as the American "cowboy" or "western" hat is largely a Hollywood creation. If you look at photos of men (and some women) who worked exclusively outdoors that were taken in America during the mid- to late-1800s you'll see they wore any hat that provided some protection from the elements. Wide brims were clearly favored for obvious reasons, but beyond that the shapes of the brims and crowns were either a matter of individual preference/necessity or they simply wound up that way through years of use.

And today it can be said that "Real Cowboys wear baseball caps".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points