Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Wearing my Royal Coachman by Dobbs... got from a woman passerby.. “Cool hat man.. that is a great look dude!” 5E0A3626-A108-4AC4-B4A4-7FE2C690293F.jpeg

SteveFord

A-List Customer
A girl today said that I look like I belong in the circus.
I told her that the hat I was wearing was probably from the 1940s and she said, "Oh, is that where you're from?"
I suppose I deserve it, I always ask her if she's wearing a clip on Man Bun or is that a real one...

Not a hat, but a flatcap situation.

Yesterday, in railcar, there were four stupid talking beatniks, next to me. They probably notized, that I was a little nerved and one said to another, silent but hearable: "Don't mess with such one."
I had my Storm Rider jacket doffed and sat there in dark turtleneck shirt, brightblue jeans and with my darkblue tartan flatcap on.

Last edited:
Sunday, when my wife walked away, a checkout woman said " You kind of have an Indiana Jones vibe going on".
(My wife and I agreed she must have been referring to his teacher look as I was wearing a jacket with a button down and waistcoat......)

I did mention that my hat was of the era of the later adventures (40's).....Then she asked where I got such a hat, and I said from a trade with a hat friend..(was here on the lounge). She said "that is a good friend to have!!". And I agree.......the lounge has been a good place to trade hats around....

By the way here is what I was wearing....my 40's Dobbs Twenty...It is quite the hat!!! The angle of my picture makes it look a bit less so, but it is quite like the proportions of the modern Stetsonian (or a nice vintage OR).....6" crown, 2 3/4" brim.....
my 40's Dobbs Twenty.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Last Saturday we went to a rather good 1940's inspired Big Band concert come swing time dance.

1940's night.jpg

The lady on the door was impressed at the standard of dress. The concert had been organised by The Rotary Club, with all proceeds going to charity. Most Rotary members wouldn't be in possession of any sort of period dress, that's why the flyer explains that 40's dress was not compulsory.

Our group of friends about twenty or so, arrived earlier. Originally those of us with a classic period car had intended to travel there in it, but the weather didn't play ball. Tina & I turned up ten minutes or so after our friends had arrived. That's when the lady remarked about the period dress that we all wore.
Chester Cordite red stripe spearpoint 001.JPG

She, and the fellow with her, both suggested that perhaps we were viewing the 40's through rose tinted spectacles. To which Tina said that they may have suffered severe deprivation but you only have to see newsreels of the time to see that people back then knew how to dress well and party well too. She then turned to me and asked if I had the photo of my parents, indeed I did. I showed them and explained that my father's suit was his demob suit, and the suit that I was wearing is an exact copy. The fellow just bowed his head and said that he stood corrected. You can see that photo on this thread, it's on page 146, entry number #2911.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My right eye is extremely sensitive to sunlight, it's why you see me in sunglasses so often. It wasn't bright sunshine this morning but I still had the aviators on, I get used to them like they were ordinary spectacles.

This morning I stopped of at a convenience store, hoping I wouldn't have to queue, some hope. But there wasn't more than about a dozen people so I joined the queue. I had my cashmere overcoat on and a black fedora, I have also been wearing a rather good mask. My missus is a retired paramedic, she has a couple of masks left over from her working days, and to reassure her, I wear a mask when I'm amongst others, which isn't very often. The next fellow who joined the queue looked at me and said: "You look like Darth Vader in his Sunday best hat." I told him that was a great remark and that I would share it on social media, so now you know.

My right eye is extremely sensitive to sunlight, it's why you see me in sunglasses so often. It wasn't bright sunshine this morning but I still had the aviators on, I get used to them like they were ordinary spectacles.

This morning I stopped of at a convenience store, hoping I wouldn't have to queue, some hope. But there wasn't more than about a dozen people so I joined the queue. I had my cashmere overcoat on and a black fedora, I have also been wearing a rather good mask. My missus is a retired paramedic, she has a couple of masks left over from her working days, and to reassure her, I wear a mask when I'm amongst others, which isn't very often. The next fellow who joined the queue looked at me and said: "You look like Darth Vader in his Sunday best hat." I told him that was a great remark and that I would share it on social media, so now you know.
And I suppose the obligatory retort would have been..

NO... I AM Your Father!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Over on the summer wardrobe thread is this picture of me posing in my old cricket whites. My missus rescued them after I had put them ready for disposal. My weight gain had made them redundant. Modern though they are, they are a classic pair of trousers and my talented missus has really worked her magic on them.
white trousers empty motorway 002.JPG

"The Fedora Lounge must see your handiwork," I told her, adding, "they love to see your sewing skills." Flattery gets me nowhere, "shut up and stand still," she replied. "Hold on," I said, "what now?" She replied. I dashed back in the house and came out with a navy blue lid. "Got everything now?" My exasperated missus enquired, "well actually," I said, stepping sideways. She looked at me quizzically. "Your shadow will be in the picture," I explained. "You're a vain b*st*rd," she said. "It's your fault," I pleaded. "I know, I know," she replied, "you don't have to repeat it. One does have standards!"
I do love you dear.

Over on the summer wardrobe thread is this picture of me posing in my old cricket whites. My missus rescued them after I had put them ready for disposal. My weight gain had made them redundant. Modern though they are, they are a classic pair of trousers and my talented missus has really worked her magic on them.
View attachment 224953

"The Fedora Lounge must see your handiwork," I told her, adding, "they love to see your sewing skills." Flattery gets me nowhere, "shut up and stand still," she replied. "Hold on," I said, "what now?" She replied. I dashed back in the house and came out with a navy blue lid. "Got everything now?" My exasperated missus enquired, "well actually," I said, stepping sideways. She looked at me quizzically. "Your shadow will be in the picture," I explained. "You're a vain b*st*rd," she said. "It's your fault," I pleaded. "I know, I know," she replied, "you don't have to repeat it. One does have standards!"
I do love you dear.
Tremendous

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 224953

I do love you dear.

Your wife knows you and supports you. What could be better!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"Do you ever dress down?" What a great title for a new thread. Do you ever dress down was said to me today by one of the duty managers at the supermarket that I use for provisions. The good fellow had spent a fruitless five minutes searching for disposable household gloves, the ones that come in a box. The box being about the size of a pack of tissues.

"I am dressed down," I told him, "well not in my book, you're not," he replied. He then added, "what is dressed up, in your book?" "Simple," I answered, "collar and tie," then I smiled and looked straight at him. "What? What?" he's saying, getting more and more uncomfortable. Any other time I would have reached out and in a mock display and straightened his tie, but we can't touch in today's climate, so I pretended to straighten my own, metaphoric tie. I told him that it's not for me to comment on how people choose to dress, but I am not one to be put to shame by his smart appearance, even if it's his company uniform. "No chance of that," he said, and then added, "I always love to see your hats, but if my company expected us to wear trousers like your's, I might baulk at that." He did make me smile. The trousers do tend to get a lot more stares than the hat. By the way, the hat is one of Esther's and, of course, my missus made the trousers.
old photos 585.JPG Hat & shirt 001.JPG

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Any Hawaiian shirts definitely make it a "dressed just right" day!

"Do you ever dress down?" What a great title for a new thread. Do you ever dress down was said to me today by one of the duty managers at the supermarket that I use for provisions. The good fellow had spent a fruitless five minutes searching for disposable household gloves, the ones that come in a box. The box being about the size of a pack of tissues.

"I am dressed down," I told him, "well not in my book, you're not," he replied. He then added, "what is dressed up, in your book?" "Simple," I answered, "collar and tie," then I smiled and looked straight at him. "What? What?" he's saying, getting more and more uncomfortable. Any other time I would have reached out and in a mock display and straightened his tie, but we can't touch in today's climate, so I pretended to straighten my own, metaphoric tie. I told him that it's not for me to comment on how people choose to dress, but I am not one to be put to shame by his smart appearance, even if it's his company uniform. "No chance of that," he said, and then added, "I always love to see your hats, but if my company expected us to wear trousers like your's, I might baulk at that." He did make me smile. The trousers do tend to get a lot more stares than the hat. By the way, the hat is one of Esther's and, of course, my missus made the trousers.
View attachment 229553 View attachment 229554

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Got a backhanded compliment from my missus, or maybe it was an insult sweetened to appear complimentary. She shopped for our week's provisions yesterday. As she put it, the highlight of the week. She was dressed, as always, in some creation that she had made, I think she wore her culottes and instead of a hat she wore her hair in a snood. When I get an opportunity I will photograph her wearing a snood, but in case you're wondering, it's a type of hairnet that looks like this:
snood.jpg
The cashier on the checkout complimented her appearance, then said that she looked so well turned out and then asked if her husband was the fellow who wore beautiful decorative shirts, always wears a hat, looks distinguished and calls his walking stick, Michael Caine? "That's the one," said my missus, adding, "fifty two years, for better or worse."

"Fifty two years," repeated the cashier, "that's a long time married." She then told my wife that her husband had cheated on her for years and after the divorce she vowed never to marry again, but somehow a Prince Charming came into her life and now she is settled and happy. To which my missus said: "I could never marry again if anything happened to my husband." The cashier thought that my wife's reply was "so romantic." "Romance has nothing to do with it," teased my missus, "I simply couldn't face all that training again."

She's got such a way with words, has my missus. I must remember to photograph her wearing one of her snoods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ