Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I am starting to get folks ragging me about being a gangster.
Hang in there. Some individuals want to wear hats but are scared to do so. In turn they make comments such as the ones related to gangsters.
With consistent wearing of your hat(s) people will begin to take an interest and more positive comments will amount. :)

javadave61

Practically Family
I met the family for dinner after work. As I was walking in, my 14 year old said, "Dad, you look like a nerd in that hat." Then my wife walked over and said, "Hun, you look like a gangster in that hat." Is there such a thing as a nerdy gangster? Maybe I figured a way to pull it off.

2015-02-28 10.48.12.jpg

...I've gotten a couple of comments from checkout folks and the like. The funny thing, it's mostly from guys, too. Maybe they're envious. lol
...Some individuals want to wear hats but are scared to do so...
Very true. One of the most common comments I get is "man, I wish I could wear hats!"
I sincerely believe this as well--a lot of guys would like to wear nice hats, but for whatever reason(s) haven't built up the confidence to do so; some go on the defensive by making derogatory comments about men who do, some admit to their desire in some way, but most just keep it to themselves.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
From a kid, to me wearing a short brimmed crushable fedora: "Why are you dressed like a cowboy?"
From my mother, to me as I'm wearing a long brimmed Borsalino fedora: "What? Are you a cowboy?"
Though I suppose it's the boots as much as the hat...

On the other hand, older folks tend to really like the hat, and I get a lot of positive comments from them. Most people say nothing. Sometimes a random person will say, "I like your hat" or another hat-wearing-person will comment that they like it.

I bet that back in the day, when everyone wore hats, people rarely said anything about them. But now since people don't wear hats, they are more noticeable, and draw comments. I really don't like comments about my clothing... I don't dress to draw attention with bright colors and weird stuff. But I do like to wear a hat.

Yippee-kay-ay.

At the Dunkin' Donuts drive-through the perky young gal at the window first told me she really liked my hat (VS Mahoot), then added, "it's FANCY!"

I wasn't thinking of or looking for fancy; now I'm thinking... is that good, or bad? That's enough thought. GOOD!

At the Dunkin' Donuts drive-through the perky young gal at the window first told me she really liked my hat (VS Mahoot), then added, "it's FANCY!"

I wasn't thinking of or looking for fancy; now I'm thinking... is that good, or bad? That's enough thought. GOOD!

Anytime a young girl notices me and doesn't include the words "my dad", it's a good thing!

My two closest co-workers are curious about my hat wearing, which is a fairly recent development for me. Ask me questions about if I wore my hat today, what hat did I wear, what do I do when...

It really is self-confidence. No, I'm not bragging about my self-confidence, but peer pressure is a strong draw. If you are the one who stands out, you get attention, sometimes unwanted. The ones who really lack confidence ridicule. I think that, for some of us, either we don't give a rat's butt about what others think or we're just the type to go against convention. I like to think I wear hats for the reasons I tell everybody: I think I look good in them and they're functional. Plus, since I've "gotten into" them, it's a pleasure to study the history, admire the workmanship, etc.

Unless you're wearing a work hat, you are making a fashion choice to wear a hat in this day and age. You are going to stand out. For some, that's reason enough, hence the observation that it's a show piece. I usually use the line, "He's not wearing a hat, he's wearing a costume." It's the old adage to wear the hat, not let the hat wear you.

I'd say most reactions I get are positive or neutral (curious). I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it, though!

Unless you're wearing a work hat, you are making a fashion choice to wear a hat in this day and age. You are going to stand out. For some, that's reason enough, hence the observation that it's a show piece. I usually use the line, "He's not wearing a hat, he's wearing a costume." It's the old adage to wear the hat, not let the hat wear you.

You often hear things like "I don't know if I could pull of wearing a hat." To me, that's like saying "I'm not sure I could pull off wearing shoes." Of course you can. There's no magic to wearing a hat. It's not a crown. I think too many guys get caught up in the fashion piece idea of it, in the sense that they think it has to be part of a certain "look", often that is unfamiliar to them. And it's uncomfortable *because* it's unfamiliar. But it doesn't have to be that way.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
While shopping at lowes hardware the other day a lady walked up and announced that her husband really liked my hat. I looked around and seeing no one else, she added that he was terribly shy, then announced almost meekly that he really doesn't know he likes hats yet, and walked off chuckling to herself. I wonder who rules that roost ??

This is where it would be helpful if men viewed a hat as a functional accessory, not as a fashion statement or a show piece...
This is exactly what helped me to become a dedicated hat wearer. I've liked fedoras for as long as I can remember, but when I was younger thought they wouldn't look right on me. When I had some skin cancer removed from my nose two years ago I decided to wear hats as a means of sun protection because I don't like that oil-slick feeling of sunscreen on my face, and it really hit home that hats do indeed serve a functional/practical purpose. Of course, I still wanted a hat that looked "acceptable" on me, but who wants to wear a hat that makes them look silly? Admittedly, on occasion I use "sun protection" as an excuse these days when I simply want to wear a hat, but at least my wife can't argue against it. :D

You often hear things like "I don't know if I could pull of wearing a hat." To me, that's like saying "I'm not sure I could pull off wearing shoes." Of course you can. There's no magic to wearing a hat. It's not a crown. I think too many guys get caught up in the fashion piece idea of it, in the sense that they think it has to be part of a certain "look", often that is unfamiliar to them. And it's uncomfortable *because* it's unfamiliar. But it doesn't have to be that way.

Exactly. If more men wore hats (not ballcaps, which are still ubiquitous), nobody would be self-conscious. Take the do-rag, for instance. Borne of hip-hop culture, it was an unconventional thing to wear, and seemed to be limited to a certain culture. However, within a few years, it seemed the biker guys adopted it and I see them on more Harley riders than rap aficionados. My brother-in-law wears a do-rag all the time. And I thought they were a little silly looking, at first, but they no longer look unusual to me (I'd still be dead before I wore one, though!).

As a newer fedora wearer, I'm still self-conscious ("Wow, I'm wearing a hat!"), but it's receding. Sometimes I forget I have one on and, frankly, I kind of feel incomplete walking out of the house without one now.

Last edited:

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
This is exactly what helped me to become a dedicated hat wearer. I've liked fedoras for as long as I can remember, but when I was younger thought they wouldn't look right on me. When I had some skin cancer removed from my nose two years ago I decided to wear hats as a means of sun protection because I don't like that oil-slick feeling of sunscreen on my face, and it really hit home that hats do indeed serve a functional/practical purpose. Of course, I still wanted a hat that looked "acceptable" on me, but who wants to wear a hat that makes them look silly? Admittedly, on occasion I use "sun protection" as an excuse these days when I simply want to wear a hat, but at least my wife can't argue against it. :D

I too live in Sunny Southern California. It is no fun having all sorts of things cut or frozen off face and ears or wherever. So they are a functional accessory for me. Besides hats are bitchin'. BTW, there is a sun screen I wear as well that is not oily but great protection too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy