Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
being a music nut i known of Pharell
for quite a few years now as he is mostly know as a music producer. But he has alway wore hats just like Mr. Depp. In fact the Hat industry just voted him hat wearer of the year. As with Indy it gets people looking at wearing a hat which is a good thing in my book.

Well said Ed. The more hats in the public eye the better.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I couldn´t care less what hats Mr. Williams (or any other celebrity) is wearing. This doesn´t bother me at all.

The downside is that it feeds the narrow-minded assumption of way too many people that someone wearing a hat must be mimicking some celeb.

They may assume so if they like... but what drives them to blurp this out to a stranger?

Last edited:

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
It pretty much runs the gamut. Some days people look at you like they hate you for wearing a hat. Other days the clerk at the grocery store or a young lady on the street will compliment you. Go figure. I'm amused by it all actually.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Worst of all on ebay (at least the German ebay) there is this annoying "fashion guide" on the start page:
"Get the Pharrel Williams Look for Summer"... directing you to hats, bow ties, work-shirts, Red wing boots and tuxedo-shirts (to be combined with shorts). :eusa_doh:

http://www.ebay.com/cln/kollektionsteam-fashion/Happy-im-Pharrell-Look/85674436012

"[...] With secure style the superstar recycles and combines trends from different eras. This way fashion classics like hats and tuxedo shirts sound suddenly as fresh as a modern camoflage-look or heavy boots." :rolleyes:

You know, I actually don't mind any of the clothing choices besides the the denim jeans. Other than that, I wouldn't mind picking up on some of what's being show on the page. I risk looking like the Doctor, but Tennant and Smith's Doctor did have a nice fashion sense.

being a music nut i known of Pharell
for quite a few years now as he is mostly know as a music producer. But he has alway wore hats just like Mr. Depp. In fact the Hat industry just voted him hat wearer of the year. As with Indy it gets people looking at wearing a hat which is a good thing in my book.

That's actually interesting. I didn't know that. When my friends mentioned his name, I only thought of that thing he wore to the Grammy's. Only difference is that Mr. Depp does a better job at looking good with the hat in my opinion.

It pretty much runs the gamut. Some days people look at you like they hate you for wearing a hat. Other days the clerk at the grocery store or a young lady on the street will compliment you. Go figure. I'm amused by it all actually.

I've had the same cashier at the movie theater for the past month and she always notices me in the crowd of movie goers getting snacks because I'm wearing a fedora. Nice girl too.

Worst of all on ebay (at least the German ebay) there is this annoying "fashion guide" on the start page:
"Get the Pharrel Williams Look for Summer"... directing you to hats, bow ties, work-shirts, Red wing boots and tuxedo-shirts (to be combined with shorts). :eusa_doh:

http://www.ebay.com/cln/kollektionsteam-fashion/Happy-im-Pharrell-Look/85674436012...
Just to be clear, for anyone reading this thread who is completely unfamiliar with Pharrel Williams, the hat he's wearing in the photo on that page is not the same as the hat he wore on the Grammys, which can be seen here.

I couldn´t care less what hats Mr. Williams (or any other celebrity) is wearing. This doesn´t bother me at all.

The downside is that it feeds the narrow-minded assumption of way too many people that someone wearing a hat must be mimicking some celeb.

They may assume so if they like... but what drives them to blurp this out to a stranger?
What drives anyone to say anything rude to a stranger? Based on the number of blogs, Tweets, Farcebook posts, and the like, I think the Internet has fueled some peoples' egotistical and narcissistic needs for attention to the point where they now feel comfortable vocalizing their running mental commentary regardless of the situation.

Conversely, I've had some rather nice conversations with people after I've approached them to compliment them on their hat(s) of choice, and/or after they've approached me. I suppose I've been fortunate (so far, anyway) because I haven't heard any negative comments.

Last edited:

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Just to be clear, for anyone reading this thread who is completely unfamiliar with Pharrel Williams, the hat he's wearing in the photo on that page is not the same as the hat he wore on the Grammys, which can be seen here.

Yes, that was the hat that snapped to my mind when my friends brought him up.

I actually liked the one he had on in the video for Happy...
Which one?

Pharrell_Williams_1_zps1f4f93bf.jpg

:D

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Wow, I apologize for being offended by being called Pharrel. Those are some nice hats. The outfits on the other hand.... but the beach one looks nice. Nice bow tie though. Bow ties are cool.

Landman

One Too Many
Those are all great looking hats. I wonder why he decided to wear that bizarre hat at the Grammys? I don't think they were expecting it either because I remember a cartoon character of a smiley face behind him wearing a nice hat not the oversized hat.

Edit: It was the Academy Awards performance I was thinking of and not the Grammys.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
All I can say is that the Akubra Sombrero draw a lot of attention on the agriculture fair. There was a lot of cheap straw hats but no westerns.

lordwinters

Familiar Face
A few months ago, when it was still pretty cool outside I was out for a dog walk, wearing my dark grey trenchcoat topped with my steel grey squatter. I passed a mother and her daughter, the little girl shined up and said; " Mommy, I've never seen an old man in a hat before!". I'm 19!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails