Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

This past week at Grandpa's 100th birthday celebration gleaned a number of "nice hat" type comments. Of course, a majority of the folks I visited with were old enough to remember the hat culture of the past. They were even impressed with the NW Hats panama, a type that is seen more often in current days.

20May17 Mike Panama front.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This past week at Grandpa's 100th birthday celebration gleaned a number of "nice hat" type comments. Of course, a majority of the folks I visited with were old enough to remember the hat culture of the past. They were even impressed with the NW Hats panama, a type that is seen more often in current days.

View attachment 75148
"Excuse me, but I haver never in my life seen a man look so good in a hat."

I was in a bar last week wearing the Borsalino that Moon was kind enough to sell me. Beautiful hat if I may say so......A much younger hipster type walked past me, nodded his head and said...."nice hat, bro." He was wearing a toque (a wool watch cap for you American friends) on a warm sunny day so was not sure whether to take it as a compliment or not!!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I was in a bar last week wearing the Borsalino that Moon was kind enough to sell me. Beautiful hat if I may say so......A much younger hipster type walked past me, nodded his head and said...."nice hat, bro." He was wearing a toque (a wool watch cap for you American friends) on a warm sunny day so was not sure whether to take it as a compliment or not!!
I'd certainly take it as a compliment. I get all types of positive comments from people wearing very different types of headware. Even from hipsters as I sometimes come across as one.

Last week we went out for our anniversary to an old line restaurant in Dayton, The Oakwood Club. This place has been around since hats were more in vogue, and still has a hat/coat check room. When I walked in, the lady dutifully asked if she could take my hat. When I handed it to her, she asked whether I wanted it stored brim up or brim down.

Nice touch.

She got a little extra tip for that.

OC Fry

Familiar Face
Yeah got the hipster comment from a friend as I wandered about with my Stylemaster brim turned up. Makes me wonder, if your fedora brim is up is that like wearing your baseball cap backwards?:)

That said, I like to turn the brim up sometimes, I like the look and it changes your visual perspective somewhat...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Last week we went out for our anniversary to an old line restaurant in Dayton, The Oakwood Club. This place has been around since hats were more in vogue, and still has a hat/coat check room. When I walked in, the lady dutifully asked if she could take my hat. When I handed it to her, she asked whether I wanted it stored brim up or brim down.

Nice touch.

So nice. I'm impressed.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Yeah got the hipster comment from a friend as I wandered about with my Stylemaster brim turned up. Makes me wonder, if your fedora brim is up is that like wearing your baseball cap backwards?:)

That said, I like to turn the brim up sometimes, I like the look and it changes your visual perspective somewhat...
I do it all the time.

...A much younger hipster type walked past me, nodded his head and said...."nice hat, bro." He was wearing a toque (a wool watch cap for you American friends) on a warm sunny day so was not sure whether to take it as a compliment or not!!
I regularly see men (and occasionally women) of all ages who appear to be so entrenched in wearing their daily uniform that they don't seem to have given any consideration whatsoever to the weather. Sunny, humid, and 90°F or warmer, and you'll see someone wearing sweat pants and a hooded sweat jacket with the hood pulled over their heads, sometimes wearing a toque/watch cap or ball cap as well. Or 60°F and raining, and you'll see some schmuck walking through a parking lot wearing nothing more than sunglasses, a light tee shirt, shorts, and beach sandals. I generally default to the expression "Consider the source", and if they seem sincere with their comment I respond with a simple and polite "Thank you".

If you're wearing your fedora backwards, yes. Otherwise, I don't think so.

A month or so ago, I was standing on a street corner somewhere in the West Village in N.Y., and fellow comes over to me and says "excuse me, but I have never in my life seen a man look so good in a hat". Of course, I thanked him, I felt complimented, but in some strange way that I can't put my finger over on, it felt weird. The hat, btw, was a Stratoliner clone in pecan, made by Mike Miller. Probably my favourite fedora.

You say you WERE in the West Village. The comment (as quoted) was directed at the man, and sure, he may have also liked the hat. We'll never know, (unless you care to find him again) but with the demographic of that 'hood, either way it WAS a compliment!

Nice touch.

Super experience, Jim! How cool is that?!!

The last time I was in a place with a coat/hat check room, (a Conservative Jewish Temple in Boston) they even had the claim "token" do-dahs for every corresponding hanger there; one for your hat, and one for your coat. Super detailed control, so not to have any fights break out over a wrong item! Tough crowd there, y'know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk