Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I wonder if a thread along the lines of Pay It Forward would fly here in the FL. Maybe something like: "Felt it Forward!" ???

A couple of wks ago I was at the checkout at QT, wearing an OR hemp. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a guy approaching me fast at an angle, I thought he must be someone I knew. As I turned to see who it might be he was actually going to touch my shoulder to get my attention. He was wearing an orange rayon shirt, white shorts & a golf visor; as he walked up I could hear that he was wearing flip-flops. So I knew it wasn't destined that we would become fast friends.

In a sarcastic way he said, "Boy, I like that hat; where did you get that hat; I'll bet that's a Tommy Bahama hat?" There was a younger guy with him & I could tell his sarcastic questions were for the benefit of the younger guy. He wasn't really inquiring about my hat.

I just ignored him. As I turned to leave I wanted to say something sarcastic about him wearing flip-flops but I was running late that hot morning & had no time for a fight.

A couple of wks ago I was at the checkout at QT, wearing an OR hemp. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a guy approaching me fast at an angle, I thought he must be someone I knew. As I turned to see who it might be he was actually going to touch my shoulder to get my attention. He was wearing an orange rayon shirt, white shorts & a golf visor; as he walked up I could hear that he was wearing flip-flops. So I knew it wasn't destined that we would become fast friends.

In a sarcastic way he said, "Boy, I like that hat; where did you get that hat; I'll bet that's a Tommy Bahama hat?" There was a younger guy with him & I could tell his sarcastic questions were for the benefit of the younger guy. He wasn't really inquiring about my hat.

I just ignored him. As I turned to leave I wanted to say something sarcastic about him wearing flip-flops but I was running late that hot morning & had no time for a fight.

Jack, I'm continually amazed (and a bit appalled) when my fellow FLers recount stories like this. I can't imagine having somebody come up to me and make fun of what I'm wearing (unless it's an arrow-through-the-head or something). I have never gotten anything but positive comments about my hats. Usually a simple"nice hat." But nobody has ever mocked my hats or anything even close. I have no idea how I would react.

On the other hand, I started a new job in late April. I have been mostly struck by the lack of comments among my coworkers. I'm almost disappointed nobody has said hardly a damn thing! Finally, about a week and a half ago, one of my fellow employees told me "I really like that hat." Other than that, nada, zip.

Jack, I'm continually amazed (and a bit appalled) when my fellow FLers recount stories like this. I can't imagine having somebody come up to me and make fun of what I'm wearing (unless it's an arrow-through-the-head or something). I have never gotten anything but positive comments about my hats. Usually a simple"nice hat." But nobody has ever mocked my hats or anything even close. I have no idea how I would react.

On the other hand, I started a new job in late April. I have been mostly struck by the lack of comments among my coworkers. I'm almost disappointed nobody has said hardly a damn thing! Finally, about a week and a half ago, one of my fellow employees told me "I really like that hat." Other than that, nada, zip.
I just think what it was probably all about was him trying to impress his younger (employee, lover, whatever) at my expense that day. I'm not normally the type to let something like that go without getting my pound of flesh but I did that day. I don't normally get any negative comments about any of my hats from anyone. I'm sure 95% of the people don't even care.

Your coworkers are probably just wanting to get to know you better before commenting on your hats. I'm sure you will get nothing but positive comments when they do.

Jack, not sure how I would have reacted. I'm taken aback by rude people and typically have a response, though I'm a little better at ignoring folks than I used to be. Never had a truly negative comment on my hat wearing, overwhelmingly positive with the occasional "hey cowboy" thrown in.

Any unsolicited comment about ones appearance, other than a positive one or ones both parties know are in jest, are just rude and therefore wrong. We see it here occasionally.

Jack, not sure how I would have reacted. I'm taken aback by rude people and typically have a response, though I'm a little better at ignoring folks than I used to be. Never had a truly negative comment on my hat wearing, overwhelmingly positive with the occasional "hey cowboy" thrown in.

Any unsolicited comment about ones appearance, other than a positive one or ones both parties know are in jest, are just rude and therefore wrong. We see it here occasionally.
A big beard can be a lightning rod for some people but most comments & questions when they come are polite & positive. Women will ask about it & want to touch it. I catch an occasional look from a few people who think you are a homeless person who hasn't showered in a month. Little do they know that I probably take better care of my beard then they do their head hair. And the occasional nasty comment I get ALWAYS comes from the guy who couldn't grow a beard if his life depended on it! Very similar & along the same lines as the Napoleon Complex.

...Any unsolicited comment about ones appearance, other than a positive one or ones both parties know are in jest, are just rude and therefore wrong...
I agree 100%. Some people appear to have no boundaries, and I often wonder about the thought process behind their unacceptable actions. From time to time I'm just as guilty as anyone else with regards to "disagreeing" with another individual's personal sense of "style", but I keep those opinions to myself and would never approach someone and deliberately insult them without provocation.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Hope you at least gave him the stink eye.
stink-eye1.jpg

I agree 100%. Some people appear to have no boundaries, and I often wonder about the thought process behind their unacceptable actions. From time to time I'm just as guilty as anyone else with regards to "disagreeing" with another individual's personal sense of "style", but I keep those opinions to myself and would never approach someone and deliberately insult them without provocation.

I once told a guy walking down my street he would have to cross the road and not walk in front of my house because he was wearing a Yankees cap.

After about a 2 second pause with a WTF look on his face we both busted up and had a good laugh.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

A couple days ago I showed up to my inlaws and they had some company out in the gazebo... one guy around my age typical flip flop Hawaiian shirt guy who was quite wide in the waist who I had never met said with a big smile as I extended my hand saying my name as an introduction .... "hey ZZTtop" ... which got a slight chuckle from his equally weak dressed buddies... and I'll admit my quick defenses arose .
As we shook hands I replied " hey an overweight guy in a bad shirt and women's shoes.."

He was a bit taken back I could tell so I told him I call it like I see it

Later I apologized to my inlaws who immediately responded that he was in the wrong and deserved it

I did feel bad... but being slightly defensive is admittedly something I have not completely outgrown yet

I do admire your will and reserve Jack

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
A couple days ago I showed up to my inlaws and they had some company out in the gazebo... one guy around my age typical flip flop Hawaiian shirt guy who was quite wide in the waist who I had never met said with a big smile as I extended my hand saying my name as an introduction .... "hey ZZTtop" ... which got a slight chuckle from his equally weak dressed buddies... and I'll admit my quick defenses arose .
As we shook hands I replied " hey an overweight guy in a bad shirt and women's shoes.."

He was a bit taken back I could tell so I told him I call it like I see it

Later I apologized to my inlaws who immediately responded that he was in the wrong and deserved it

I did feel bad... but being slightly defensive is admittedly something I have not completely outgrown yet

I do admire your will and reserve Jack

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator
Witty reply. Don't ever lose yer sense of humor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff