Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Some weeks ago someone linked me to Toy Story. I only replied that Woody does not have a long beard and they shut up.

stinky-pete-the-prospector.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, the way I see it, ill do my own thing while they do theirs. Come tomorrow, will they remember that guy with that one hat. Probably not. Life is way too short to stress on how one is going to be perceived by the majority. Live happy...

I'll contradict myself though in saying that the military left me with a quick wit and no filter. Can lead to many short vocabulary stabs

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

...typical flip flop Hawaiian shirt guy...
I know exactly the type of which you speak! And we have the same opinion on flip-flops for men.

Honestly, the way I see it, ill do my own thing while they do theirs. Come tomorrow, will they remember that guy with that one hat. Probably not. Life is way too short to stress on how one is going to be perceived by the majority.
Some people will go thru life & never do anything to earn any respect or self worth for themselves. And they don't know, don't care & don't give any to those who have earned it. And that's a hard thing to swallow sometimes.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A couple days ago I showed up to my inlaws and they had some company out in the gazebo... one guy around my age typical flip flop Hawaiian shirt guy who was quite wide in the waist who I had never met said with a big smile as I extended my hand saying my name as an introduction .... "hey ZZTtop" ... which got a slight chuckle from his equally weak dressed buddies... and I'll admit my quick defenses arose .
As we shook hands I replied " hey an overweight guy in a bad shirt and women's shoes.."

He was a bit taken back I could tell so I told him I call it like I see it

Later I apologized to my inlaws who immediately responded that he was in the wrong and deserved it

I did feel bad... but being slightly defensive is admittedly something I have not completely outgrown yet

I do admire your will and reserve Jack

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!! I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. It would have come out through my nose!

there's a kid in my son's playground when i drop him to school that greeted me with a comment every day coming up to the summer break

'howdy partner'
'hey gringo'
'get off your horse and drink your milk'

he's seven. i hope he grows out of it by autumn.
I wouldn't count on it. Maybe when he's middle-aged and has been through a few nasty divorces, but not by autumn.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
If my parents are visiting, my mother sometimes notes that she see a lot of people looking at me because I'm wearing a hat, which I only occasionally notice myself. (I'm normally pretty oblivious)

Several patrons at the local farmer's market have asked me if I work there. There are several Amish stands and I suppose that to some, a man with a beard in a fedora and vest signals being Amish. I've overheard people suppose that I'm Amish as I'm walking down the street as well.

Some also guess that I might be Jewish. This happens, unsurprisingly, most often when I'm wearing my wide-brimmed black hat that Art Facwett made for me. (I don't think it's just that; people who are Jewish have sometimes mistaken me for it even absent that hat)

I've also been taken for being in costume as John Hammond from Jurassic Park, been called Al Capone while wearing a grey fedora with a trench coat and there was one fellow said that I looked like a Pinkerton Agent. I generally have gotten approving comments from older African-American men and middle-aged women, although in the last month I've been complimented as looking, "nice," or, "dapper," by at least three people outside of those demographic categories. I think, by and large, that it's best to take such comments in good humor and faith.

The frustrating thing about it all is that I don't really like attention and am the shy, retiring type by nature, but for inexplicable reasons am irresistibly drawn to habits of dress and behavior that attract notice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ