Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
there's a kid in my son's playground when i drop him to school that greeted me with a comment every day coming up to the summer break

'howdy partner'
'hey gringo'
'get off your horse and drink your milk'

he's seven. i hope he grows out of it by autumn.

Had I made a comment like that to an adult when I was a child I would have gotten slapped. Of course, it was a very different time. Most men wore hats and parents taught their kids manners.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
...Any unsolicited comment about ones appearance, other than a positive one or ones both parties know are in jest, are just rude and therefore wrong. We see it here occasionally.
I generally assume (choose to believe) that the VAST MAJORITY of those comments come from jealousy. Truth be told, most men don't have the guts to wear anything beyond a ball cap in public. Some guys are just clueless about style and appearance.
The other day, my wife and I went out for sushi. In a table across from us, a couple sat. They looked to be in their 30's. The woman had a very pretty flowered summer dress that appeared new. She had her makeup on right, her hair was curled and fixed in a very pretty manner, and she had on open-toes heels. You could tell she had taken the time to get pretty for date night.
Her man sat in a pair of black denim jeans, a black t-shirt emblazoned with "Black Sabbath", a black baseball cap turned backward, and 3 or 4 days worth of facial stubble.

When we got out to the car, I commented to my wife that I felt bad for the woman that she apparently put so much thought and effort into her appearance and her date couldn't even be bothered to wear a shirt with some buttons on it.

Let 'em make fun of my hats. It means I'm more interesting than they are and I have their attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
A few years ago, I wore a light colored straw stingy brim to an outdoor church function. As soon as I walked up, it started. About 3 different people made comments about "oh no! The mafia is here!"
Of course, wanting to drain the wind out of their sails, I played dumb. "What do you mean?"
"You know. The mafia hat"

"Oh...sounds like you watch too many movies."

If you have to explain a joke, it dies. So I played dumb and serious. Ruined their jesting so it ended.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
Don't automatically feel bad. There are plenty of women who want their men to have the 'bad boy' image, and encourage it.

Possible, but I don't think it looks the same as this. Perhaps, I'm naive. He didn't look "bad". He looked sloppy. Like he'd just rolled out from under a car. She was eyeballing me a bit so I'm guessing she might have liked the button down shirt with a light straw fedora look better than the unwashed mechanic look. Of course, I'm just speculating. But yeah, I feel bad for women like that. Shows a lack of respect...either from her man toward her, or toward herself.
Just my opinion, of course.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Possible, but I don't think it looks the same as this. Perhaps, I'm naive. He didn't look "bad". He looked sloppy. Like he'd just rolled out from under a car. She was eyeballing me a bit so I'm guessing she might have liked the button down shirt with a light straw fedora look better than the unwashed mechanic look. Of course, I'm just speculating. But yeah, I feel bad for women like that. Shows a lack of respect...either from her man toward her, or toward herself.
Just my opinion, of course.

Well yes, I wasn't there, so I wouldn't be able to pick up on the finer details of the dood's overall coiff. There is a difference between neat-n-clean bad boy, and just being a slob. haha

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
just minutes ago I had a pretty unique reaction to my hat.
I'm in Kings supermarket on line wearing a CD on a rainy morning... the man in front of me who looks to be in his 80s or possibly 90s who was buying a small container of prepared hot soup and a roll said to me...

"I like that hat... what you need to do is stick an arrow through the crown and run down to the police station yelling the Indians are coming"

We both giggled and went on our way

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

I'm in Kings supermarket on line wearing a CD on a rainy morning... the man in front of me who looks to be in his 80s or possibly 90s who was buying a small container of prepared hot soup and a roll said to me...

"I like that hat... what you need to do is stick an arrow through the crown and run down to the police station yelling the Indians are coming"

Anthony this one might be one of the best, straight from a guy that was there in the heyday. Why didn't one of us think of that?! (The truth may be that he forgot that the Indians aren't coming...)

Thanks for sharing this one.

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator
Ear worm warning!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner