Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I get scuffs out of leather boots?

Legal Concepts

One of the Regulars
I got some workboots and about every other week I scuff them, I like my leathers to be nice and shiney!

now I got a nice streak and a few cuts at the front top area.... I tried buffing by hand, and colored shoe wax, but you can still see it is a few shades off, how do I fix this?:(

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Number 1- workboots are supposed to get scuffed up.

If you want to fill in the gaps caused by scuffs, light your Kiwi polish on fire with a match or a lighter. Let the cake polish liquify and blow out the flame.
Pour or dob the polish on the scuffs. It will fill in. Buff it out like normal afterwards.

*see note about workboots are supposed to be scuffed up.

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't use polish on my work boots. I use boot oil and rub it in where there are scuff marks. It gets the scuffs out and keeps the boots waterproof. I use the oil on work boots, motorcycle boots, and boots I wear to the office when it rains or snows. The oil gives a matte finish and not a shiny finish, which I'm not fond of on a rough wear boot.

If you do use polish, the method Ky. Gentleman suggests works well. You can also put a thick layer of polish on the boot and gently heat it after it is on the boot. A hair dryer works well for this purpose, or you can use a lighter or a match, if you are careful. Ah, brings back fond memories of my early military days!

JLStorm

Practically Family
If you have the same depth of cuts on yours as I have on mine, your best bet is to just give up and enjoy the worn look. Any temporary solution you use will be very temporary given the abuse that workboots go through.

The way I figure it you have two options going forward. Get cheap boots and replace them frequently so that they look good, or get good boots keep them for long periods of time and deal with the cuts and tears. I wear red wings and I can only justify a new pair every 5 or 6 years. The fact is that they work just fine and could probably last a good 10 - 15 years, but after 5 years of work Im embarrassed to be seen in them so I get a new pair and relegate the old pairs to the nastiest of jobs I have to do.

Edward

Bartender
KY Gentleman said:
If you want to fill in the gaps caused by scuffs, light your Kiwi polish on fire with a match or a lighter. Let the cake polish liquify and blow out the flame.
Pour or dob the polish on the scuffs. It will fill in. Buff it out like normal

Aha! So that's what Bickle was up to with setting his boot polish on fire? I always wondered whether that was based on something "real," or just a nice set-piece for the screen. Now I know! :)

4and1

One of the Regulars
Get some gum tragacanth and some edge black (or brown) from a leathercraft supply shop and go to it. Then after that cures (24hrs. each) polish them. They will look better than new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot