Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you know which perfume suits you?

Thominner

New in Town
I'm starting to get obsessed with perfume, although i don't know which ones to get. How do you find which perfume suits you (because i've been told perfume smells different on everybody depending on their body chemistry or something like that)?

Isis

One of the Regulars
Yes, your body chemistry have a say in how a perfume smell on you. For example, I can't wear anything with jasmine, because it smells like cat pee on me. NOT nice. But modern perfumes often have scent stabilisators to make a perfume smell more or less the same on everyone.

As for what scent that suits you, well, that's trial and error, I'm afraid. Try to get samples and try out. Starts with something you like and go from there. Personally I find that "foodie" scent works well for me, like vanilla and sugar, spicy scents and recently, berry scentes. The last one was a bit of a surprise because I have always grouped berries with flowers, and I'm so not a flower girl.

Isn't it fun to obsess over scents? :D

HungaryTom

One Too Many
I had the obsession for perfumes at 19-20. I tried around a lot of testers and slowly settled with what I like. Different things for the night or day or summer and winter. After a while you clear down and settle and discover that 90% of modern fragrances are too sweet fruity and gay to suit men. In reality a few classics or older fragrances are good.
This is just my opinion and is valid just for me.

Cheers:

HT

Isis

One of the Regulars
They say that men are attracted to perfumes that smell like food, so I wear what suits them by wearing Vanilla based perfumes, but I like the way those smell too, so it's a win win. I'm still looking for one that smells like a doughnut ;)
"]this.[/URL]
Have you tried BPAL? They can be so foody you get hungry. I can't recall any doughnut, but Eat Me and Drink Me are probably quite close. I often wear Sugar Skull, as my darling likes it- f kind of sugar and booze... :D

Annichen

Familiar Face
I used to wear a lot of vanilla perfumes but usually they don't smell very vanilla. I found out that vanilla extract was far better..I used to dap it behind my ears.Also almond is quite nice :) Now I have a rather large collection of mainly vintage perfumes and I use different ones for different occasions,but some just doesn't work for me,very strange how a perfume can smell so different after a few minutes on the skin.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
For me it was years of trial and error. With the internet, you now have "fragrance finders", I know Macy's has one. You can choose sex, time of day, citrus/woodsy, etc. Then it spits out those that fit your specs.
I tend to find ones that are unfortunately being phased out. My 2 favs of all time were "feeling man" by Jil Sander, and "Background" by the same. I used the internet when it got up and running, to find out what made up these scents (lavender, sandalwood, etc). This led me to the ones I use now, Perry Ellis 360 Degrees, Farenheit by Dior, and Sandalwood aftershave/oil from D.R. Harris of London. As I said before, now it's easier with many sites available for research.
A good fresh scented one has been reintroduced is called "New West." But the prices right now are too high for me. Love that one though, it really smells like an ocean/beach, I can't explain it.
I hated to see it go back in the 90's, but I'm happy to see it reappear.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like the concept of florals but haven't found many I can wear. I like Ralph Lauren's Blue, which is very "beachy" with an almost salty element. It definitely has a flower component but its more "fresh" than anything. It's not vintage at all though which is kind of sad. I haven't had much luck with vintage perfumes. My grandmother-in-law got me Tabu and its just... grandmotherly on me.

I did get a strong male approval for one of the cheaper scents I've ever bought - chocolate amber body spray - both my husband and one of his friends have said they like it, but my sister (who is 25 studying to be 95) says "good girls don't smell like candy." :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My wife bought Ralph for women and it smells nice.
Then she bought Bvlgari Jasmine Noir last year, I enjoy it but I can't pick out what it's made up of!
BTW there are still a few vintage perfumes around because they were a great scent.
But honestly, who has time to bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan?
I say microwave it, that takes less time...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR