Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you like your brim?

rrog

A-List Customer
I've seen more than one post where people talk about the Akubras being "soft as butter" and many various descriptions of the brim stiffness (or lack thereof). Can anyone give me a general idea about which Akubra hats have stiff brims and which ones don't? I think I prefer a stiffer brim, but definitely not so stiff that you could chip granite with. OTOH, I don't want the thing flapping from the breeze made when I walk down the hall either! I recently ordered a Stylemaster and am looking forward to getting it. I hope it's not one of the flap-in-the-wind variants. Maybe I should have checked into it a little more before I ordered [huh] . But anyway, what are you impressions of the Akubra models: stiff vs. flappy?

Thanks,
rrog

kaosharper1

One Too Many
My Akubras have become soft over time, but not floppy. In general the felt is too thick for a wind to make it flop. It's more likely to blow the hat off. The Sydney is thin, but the snap brim is solid. I have a Fed III, a DM Adventurer, a Sydney and a Campdraft.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I doubt you'll find any Akurba that will flap in the wind, except for the most well-beaten examples. And even then, I would call it more of a waggle than a flap. lol However, only Akubras western/outback styles tend to be "hard as granite." They will vary a little, sometimes even among the same model. The stiffer ones will soften with use.

I actually own several very soft hats (not Akubra) with brims that would make butter seem like a lump of quartz. Sometimes there's enough wind to give me a little flapping, but it will be a while before they are out of control. So I think you'll be pretty safe with most choices. The harder part will be avoiding brims that are stiffer than you want.

For me, it's ideal that a hat have a slightly stiff brim and crown when new so that it has a chance to "learn" any shaping I do to it. By the time it gets floppy, it will hold it's shape from memory.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
NB...I beg to differ on the Akubra not flapping...My Adventurer (older model/not DM) is a soft, soft, soft felt. Almost like they left out the standard stiffener...and if the winds blow...a flappin' it goes....:D

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I just got my Stylemaster, so I can't speak to how they perform after more than a couple of weeks of wear, but the brim does not feel like it's in any danger of flapping in the wind.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Spats McGee said:
I just got my Stylemaster, so I can't speak to how they perform after more than a couple of weeks of wear, but the brim does not feel like it's in any danger of flapping in the wind.

That's where I'm at with my new Stylemaster as well. I'm not worried about a flapping effect.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
rrog said:
I've seen more than one post where people talk about the Akubras being "soft as butter" and many various descriptions of the brim stiffness (or lack thereof). Can anyone give me a general idea about which Akubra hats have stiff brims and which ones don't? I think I prefer a stiffer brim, but definitely not so stiff that you could chip granite with. OTOH, I don't want the thing flapping from the breeze made when I walk down the hall either! I recently ordered a Stylemaster and am looking forward to getting it. I hope it's not one of the flap-in-the-wind variants. Maybe I should have checked into it a little more before I ordered [huh] . But anyway, what are you impressions of the Akubra models: stiff vs. flappy?

Thanks,
rrog

A Stylemaster will not flap in the wind....FWIW and IMHO...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic