Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does modern Stetson compare to Akubra?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I know the general opinion is that Akubra is better than Stetson but I am wondering how much better? Is the difference really that noticable?

I have a Stetson Chatham which I am content with, but I am contemplating a Fed IV (deluxe probably just to be sure to get the best). But how much better is one of these than my Chatham? Ignoring looks and crown taper, how much quality difference is there? I don't care what it's like out of the box or how smooth it is, my main concern is durability. Now I know Akubra is durable, but how much more than a Stetson fedora?

So to summarise, is a Fed IV much better than a Chatham or only a little bit better?

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I just received my Campdraft today and really like the leather sweat and weight of the rabbit felt. What I love about it was the price. I have several new Stetsons from the Saxon (royal weight) to Downs (Royal but thicker and stiffer) to Vintage (Sovereign weight with a great feel and thickness) to the Pinnacle (100% beaver, soft, silky and deep rich mink color). I am trying to buy local, American, to encourage a better product but like so many of us cost is a tough lure to not bite on but I digress. The rabbit on the campdraft fells ok but beaver can't be duplicated. Ebay bidding battle for vintage hats I believe are going to only get more heated the more educated we all become. Go for an Akubra and you won't be disappointed with the price or quality but that Sovereign quality sure feels great to me. Guess I don't need the treadmill tonight, I just did enough rambling to qualify as a workout.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
I know the general opinion is that Akubra is better than Stetson but I am wondering how much better? Is the difference really that noticable?
Check out my response to you in this thread, avedwards:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35989&page=3

"Better" is a tricky concept to apply here. The Fed IV feels more like a vintage fedora in some ways to me. While many on the site aren't fans of modern Stetsons, the felt of the Chatham is thicker and richer (but stiffer, too).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the detailed reply on the other thread. So the Chatham for nice felt texture and dress use, the Akubra for durability. Looks like I might be getting an Akubra then, as it needs to hold up in rain more than feel nice.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
Thanks for the detailed reply on the other thread. So the Chatham for nice felt texture and dress use, the Akubra for durability. Looks like I might be getting an Akubra then, as it needs to hold up in rain more than feel nice.
That sounds like a great plan, avedwards. I got my Chatham last November and my Fed IV less than a month ago, and I've already worn the Fed more than I've worn the Chatham.

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Hello,

I can't tell you about the Chatham but I've a graphite Stetson Downs and a charcoal Akubra Federation.

The Stetson has a nice, smooth feel to the felt, and seems dressier than the Akubra. The liner and sweatband seem thicker and of better quality on the Stetson. I also prefer it's slight crown taper and smaller brim to the Akubra's straight sides and wide brim, but that is subjective.

ETA: I just realized you never asked about all that stuff above! Durability wise the Akubra wins, no contest. When I wear the Stetson I feel like I have to be mindful of the weather and where I set it down when I'm eating. I never worry about that stuff with the Akubra. The felt is quite stiff and I feel like it might actually make a substantive difference if I were hit in the head while wearing it.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Why limit yourself? Why rely on reports by others that are so mixed (as with the Stetson opinions!)?

Get both. Wear them tons in all kinds of different situations and see what you think. That's what I would do anyways.:)

Or is this going to be the "last" felt hat you are ever going to buy?;)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
Why limit yourself? Why rely on reports by others that are so mixed (as with the Stetson opinions!)?

Get both. Wear them tons in all kinds of different situations and see what you think. That's what I would do anyways.:)

Or is this going to be the "last" felt hat you are ever going to buy?;)
That's my main problem, cash. Hats are expensive, more so when there is next to nothing to fund them with. I was going to go custom, but I decided that it was too much, so Akubra seemed the next best alternative, expecially considering the price (or lack of it). But I wanted to know how much better than my Chatham they will be, and it sounds like they are more durable (which I want) but less dressy (which I don't mind).

Dewhurst

Practically Family
avedwards said:
That's my main problem, cash. Hats are expensive, more so when there is next to nothing to fund them with. I was going to go custom, but I decided that it was too much, so Akubra seemed the next best alternative, expecially considering the price (or lack of it). But I wanted to know how much better than my Chatham they will be, and it sounds like they are more durable (which I want) but less dressy (which I don't mind).

I'm sure most of us on here can certainly understand this problem!lol

The final score: more durable, is probably very accurate. Either way, you probably won't be disappointed.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
I'm sure most of us on here can certainly understand this problem!lol
And most of you know that £50 for a quality fedora is a good price, not overpriced. As a lot of non-hat enthusiasts seem to think good felt hats are the same as cheap cloth ones.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
avedwards said:
And most of you know that £50 for a quality fedora is a good price, not overpriced. As a lot of non-hat enthusiasts seem to think good felt hats are the same as cheap cloth ones.

There are expensive cloth ones!:p

WOMBAT

New in Town
avedwards

I paid $120.00 australian for my aubra hat

DSCF3265.jpg

I was still shaping it to be like bush tucker mans style

my last aubra lasted over 15 years and this one will be the last one for me

how long does the fedora hats last

Forum statistics

Threads
Members